C Tyler Seguin (2010, 2nd overall, Boston; traded to Dallas)

SumOil

Aug 21, 2008
edmonton
there was no reason to not draft him, but plenty to not play him in the nhl this season.
He should have gone back to the Ohl and Bruins screwed up

JL17

Mar 12, 2009
London
someone like fowler woulda been great for them. better than seguin

I was going to say the same thing... They traded for Kaberle and as of right now Fowler could have done the exact same thing for them if not better. Pair him with Chara and your off and running. Any rookie that's been paired with Chara has had great rookie seasons.

Seguin may have been the second best player but you pretty well built down the middle. Offensive D-man is what's missing on this team...

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT
there was no reason to not draft him, but plenty to not play him in the nhl this season.
He should have gone back to the Ohl and Bruins screwed up

He should be able to go the AHL, he has nothing to learn in the OHL at this point. It's a stupid rule that needs to be changed, or at least grant exceptional status to some players.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
I was going to say the same thing... They traded for Kaberle and as of right now Fowler could have done the exact same thing for them if not better. Pair him with Chara and your off and running. Any rookie that's been paired with Chara has had great rookie seasons.

Seguin may have been the second best player but you pretty well built down the middle. Offensive D-man is what's missing on this team...
Uh, they didn't draft him for this year's playoffs.

Seguin is going to make people eat this thread and many others.

JL17

Mar 12, 2009
London
Uh, they didn't draft him for this year's playoffs.

Seguin is going to make people eat this thread and many others.

No they didn't but a hole they had was for an offensive D-man like a Fowler. Seguin will be a great player down the road. Boston should have actually sent him to Providence for a conditioning stint for 2 weeks. At least give him a chance to play 18ish minutes.

rangersfan111

May 6, 2010
I don't understand how he does not demand a trade. I was hoping Boston beat Montreal before the playoffs, but now I wish Montreal won in 4 straight. He is not going to get better playing with 3rd and 4th liners... the worst thing for Seguin was to be drafted by Boston. Probably any other team in the nhl would have brought him along properly aside from pheonix and phili. To summarize Boston: Great management, horrible coaching.

Johnny McBravo

Hello Connor
May 28, 2010
Canada
Bruins pretty much had to pick seguin. Gundbranson wasn't even in the same conversation as Hall and Seguin. That being said the Bruins are completely killing his confidence. He played the whole year and they are replacing him with kelly. sending him back to the Ohl would have been a better deal

The Magic Man

With God given hands
Sep 1, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
The only mistake they made was leaving him up here. And there seems to be no reason for that. The only thing that makes sense is that they don't like the Plymouth coach. But why wouldn't you? 106 pt junior season has to have some credit for the coach.

Seguin isn't ruined yet. It may leave a bitter taste in his mouth right now, but he'll get over it when he is given the chance to score. Krejci isn't a true #1, but the team is very deep with 2 great #2's.

They should do what TOR is doing with Kadri and put him in Marchand's spot on the 2nd line LW, where he can play with other creative players and not have too much failed responsibility. Let him ease into the C position with a guy that can play W or C, in Bergeron.

I really don't understand what their long term plan is with him. But I suppose the Cup is more important then him right now.

member 96824

The only mistake they made was leaving him up here. And there seems to be no reason for that. The only thing that makes sense is that they don't like the Plymouth coach. But why wouldn't you? 106 pt junior season has to have some credit for the coach.

What exactly would he have learned from dominating a bunch of 17 year olds for the second straight year? We'd go through the exact same growing pains next season.

Seguin isn't ruined yet. It may leave a bitter taste in his mouth right now, but he'll get over it when he is given the chance to score. Krejci isn't a true #1, but the team is very deep with 2 great #2's.

They should do what TOR is doing with Kadri and put him in Marchand's spot on the 2nd line LW, where he can play with other creative players and not have too much failed responsibility. Let him ease into the C position with a guy that can play W or C, in Bergeron.

You'll see this next year, once Recchi is gone. For some reason, Claude has decided Recchi and Bergeron need to be tied at the hip, once he's gone..I don't doubt you'll see Seguin on Bergeron's wing...helping both of them greatly.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
He'll be fine. People were saying the same thing about Stamkos in his rookie season. I don't like how the Bruins have handled Seguin either but it does happen to high profile players early in their careers. Like it's been said, it makes no sense why he can't play in the AHL. The rule is ridiculous. Seguin is obviously too good for junior but maybe not good enough for the NHL. The league between the two is the AHL. The NHL needs to change this.

WreckItRask

Mar 5, 2007
Minnesota
This thread is hilarious. We're talking about the draft as if it's the NFL Draft...where you draft to fill an immediate need on your roster. You can have an honest discussion about whether he should have returned to Junior, but the notion that they should have passed over the undisputed BPA in Seguin just because they have other centers is comical.

Let's remember for a second that you draft for the future, not for the present. The Skinners and Fowlers of the world (guys that immediately impact a non-bottom feeding team) are few and far between. Seguin's going to be fine.

NUhockey

Jul 6, 2010
Boston
Only quality center we have is Krejci. Savard is done.

I suppose you don't think of Bergeron as a a quality center, but I think he definitely is. I'd like to think somewhere down the road Seguin at top line, Krejci at second line, and Bergeron at third will be filthy. I think the Bruins will sign a speedy guy like Scottie Upshall to ride shotgun with Seguin.

birddog*

It really bugged me when the Bruins drafted him, no offence to you Bruins fans I just think he shouldn't of gone there, you have far too many centers and good quality in players, Seguin goes from being the 2nd overall pick in the NHL draft to a healthy scratch in the NHL playoffs, bet if the Bruins didn't select him he'd have way more points. This is damaging his development, plus they have too much salary cap and when they have to resign him they have to give him LOTS of money.

I think you guys should've drafted a winger like Connolly, wouldn't of been a bad idea, has top 5 skill.

When Shawn Thornton dresses in a playoff game ahead of you - you know there is an issue.

Remember this isn't your average prospect here - this kid is supposed to be a franchise player.

No way kids like Skinner, Duchene, Hall, Fowler, Tavares, and Luke Schenn don't dress and contribute as 18 year olds if/when their team is in the playoffs. This kid isn't.

Says he isn't as advanced as some. He was supposed to be the most NHL ready prospect from last year. He's not and hasn't been impressive.

That said he's still young and obviously has lots of time to progress. You just wouldn't draft him ahead of guys like Skinner, Hall (that debate looks laughable now) -- even a kid like Fowler.

But every draft has more than one bust -- if he doesn't pick it up that question will start to pop up more and more.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
When Shawn Thornton dresses in a playoff game ahead of you - you know there is an issue.

Remember this isn't your average prospect here - this kid is supposed to be a franchise player.

No way kids like Skinner, Duchene, Hall, Fowler, Tavares, and Luke Schenn don't dress and contribute as 18 year olds if/when their team is in the playoffs. This kid isn't.

Says he isn't as advanced as some. He was supposed to be the most NHL ready prospect from last year. He's not and hasn't been impressive.

That said he's still young and obviously has lots of time to progress. You just wouldn't draft him ahead of guys like Skinner, Hall (that debate looks laughable now) -- even a kid like Fowler.

But every draft has more than one bust -- if he doesn't pick it up that question will start to pop up more and more.

Almost as awful as OP.
Most NHL ready? That is a lie. Bob McKenzie said he would not be NHL ready, Hall was widely considered the most NHL ready.
Duchene would be a 3rd liner on Boston just because he is more rounded than Seguin, Tavares wouldn't have made the team his first year, Schenn and Hall are stupid to compare because they are totally different positions, and saying Hall is "laughably" and clearly better than Seguin is just wrong. Putting Fowler and Skinner as guys you would draft ahead of him is just as dumb. Is Sergei Samsonov laughably better than Thornton (Joe, to clarify)? No, not one bit. It's really not even close whatsoever. Take a look at their post-draft seasons, though. If the draft was redone today, I would STILL draft him first overall, as I would have back then, and I would have still kept him in the NHL with Boston for the simple reason that he is better served getting experience here than dicking around in the OHL.

I doubt Boston would deal Seguin for the 1st overall in this draft, any one from last draft other than possibly Hall, and I think you need to look at other 18 year olds in comparison before he's a bust. Look at Jason Spezza. I'm sure you would have thought he was destined to be a bust too. The last time a top team got a top prospect was Spezza to Ottawa, and just like Seguin he had trouble breaking in. That did not, however, preclude him from being a PPG player in his first 500 games.

:facepalm:

malkovsby

Sep 4, 2009
BC

the bruins are stuck between a rock and a hard place and have fumbled seguin a bit, if they didnt want to send him back to junior atleast let him play and grow like any premiere prospect. It kind of reminds me of what tampa was doing with stamkos pre-tocchet, except that tampa was a bottom feeding team whereas the bruins are expected to compete for the cup. from what iv seen, seguins low production isnt from a lack of skill but from a lack of confidence and experience at the pro level..if boston gets bounced early in this years playoffs i expect a shakeup of the coaching staff and a greater emphasis placed on seguins transition to number 1 C..not the third-fourth line scratch duty their giving him now.

also if hes not in lineup for the next game versus montreal claude julian is officially ****ed

Freakshow

Apr 27, 2010
Vancouver Island
He should have spent another year in the OHL to play 20+ minutes a game and win everything he could. Scoring Championship, Memorial Cup, World Junior, etc. Kind of reminds me of Joe Sakic in the late 80's, I'm 41 years old and played against Joe in the WHL back then. He was so good, he had sick skills!

When Quebec drafted him he didn't feel like he was quite ready to take that step into the NHL yet, plus he wanted to play with his brother Brian. That next year he won the scoring title, or tied with Theo I think? Anyways he was much more ready at 19 and the rest is history as they say.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Almost as awful as OP.
Most NHL ready? That is a lie. Bob McKenzie said he would not be NHL ready, Hall was widely considered the most NHL ready.
Duchene would be a 3rd liner on Boston just because he is more rounded than Seguin, Tavares wouldn't have made the team his first year, Schenn and Hall are stupid to compare because they are totally different positions, and saying Hall is "laughably" and clearly better than Seguin is just wrong. Putting Fowler and Skinner as guys you would draft ahead of him is just as dumb. Is Sergei Samsonov laughably better than Thornton (Joe, to clarify)? No, not one bit. It's really not even close whatsoever. Take a look at their post-draft seasons, though. If the draft was redone today, I would STILL draft him first overall, as I would have back then, and I would have still kept him in the NHL with Boston for the simple reason that he is better served getting experience here than dicking around in the OHL.

I doubt Boston would deal Seguin for the 1st overall in this draft, any one from last draft other than possibly Hall, and I think you need to look at other 18 year olds in comparison before he's a bust. Look at Jason Spezza. I'm sure you would have thought he was destined to be a bust too. The last time a top team got a top prospect was Spezza to Ottawa, and just like Seguin he had trouble breaking in. That did not, however, preclude him from being a PPG player in his first 500 games.

Your post is almost as bad as his and the OP. One glaring thing stood out, Tavares wouldn't have made Boston? :laugh:

Considering Tavares can play either wing as well as center, he probably would have played on Bostons top line in his rookie season. No team would have sent him back.

Johnny McBravo

Hello Connor
May 28, 2010
Canada
Almost as awful as OP.

Somebody has a bromance with seguin:snide:

LGSens

His NHL career will be further advanced because he spent the year with Boston. He probably should have gone to the U20 Worlds, but spending the year learning the pro game is not a bad thing.
The amount of people writing him off as an 18 year old is unbelievable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad