C Trevor Zegras (2019, 9th, ANA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mphmiles

Jan 1, 2017
Been dominant in his first regular season AHL game. 2 assists and a possible later score change to add on a goal.

Think I’ve seen him create 3-4 other grade A chances for teammates as well.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Been dominant in his first regular season AHL game. 2 assists and a possible later score change to add on a goal.

Think I’ve seen him create 3-4 other grade A chances for teammates as well.

Never watched him before so this is my first time. He definitely can make some nice passes. Did not realize he was so small (gets pushed off the puck easily) and just an average skater. With physical maturity he should improve though. Do not rush him into the NHL.

His Gulls linemate, Chase De Leo, is a total beast. I can see this guy leading the AHL in ponts.

Last edited:
Reactions: KaseMeOutside

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Never watched him before so this is my first time. He definitely can make some nice passes. Did not realize he was so small (gets pushed off the puck easily) and just an average skater. With physical maturity he should improve though. Do not rush him into the NHL.

Chase De Leo is a total beast. I can see this guy leading the AHL in ponts.

I wouldn’t say he is small, but his skating forsure is average. He either needs to improve his skating or get some meat on those bones.

I hope he gets a full year in the AHL and the summer to bunk up.

Glad to hear he had a good game.

Reactions: voxel

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
I wouldn’t say he is small, but his skating forsure is average. He either needs to improve his skating or get some meat on those bones.

I hope he gets a full year in the AHL and the summer to bunk up.

Glad to hear he had a good game.

Well he looks 5'10" - skating and strength I'm not concerned about. Especially for a player about to turn 20 in the AHL.

He should have had a point on a 2-on-1... but De Leo couldn't handle the pass. His secondary assist on the Curran fluke goal was just being there... I guess it all balances out.

Oct 18, 2011

His Gulls linemate, Chase De Leo, is a total beast. I can see this guy leading the AHL in ponts.
Fair assessment this is why he's not being rushed he will get pushed around in the NHL right now

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
He had 2 assists, but I'm still fairly certain he should have been given the goal on the first Gulls goal of the night.

They ended up giving him the goal.

So he finished with 1+2 and 3 sog.

Personally I don't think he's a weak skater at all. Again I've said this before, but people said he had a weak shot his draft year, I personally never thought that, he just didn't use it that much. Then at the wjc he showed that his shot is not a weakness. Now it seems like people have moved onto his skating. Is he a burner? No, but he doesn't have to be to be successful. His skating is more than capable for the NHL imo. Players like Kane are not burners either. It's also gotten better since his draft year so I'm sure he will continue to work on it and improve.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
his skating is probably the most underrated part of his game now. His style of play doesn't showcase it but he definitely is a good skater.
He has crazy 360 degree agility.

Reactions: Boo Boo

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden

Cracked me up that he'd even try this. 2 assists in his first AHL game.

Lol 5 defending players collapsing around the net, no one pressuring the puck carrier.

Zegras looks like he's going to dominate that league, can't be long until he's called up.

Reactions: HanSolo

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Lol 5 defending players collapsing around the net, no one pressuring the puck carrier.

Zegras looks like he's going to dominate that league, can't be long until he's called up.
Yeah it's not the best defensive showing on that play at all but this play sticks out to me as how Zegras thinks the game. He's always looking for new ways to fool opposing defenses and a fake out Michigan is something that never even crossed my mind as an idea until I saw him do it.

Obviously he still has some elements to his game to iron out and bulk to add to his frame but agreed. He's probably gonna make a mockery of the AHL until he makes the Ducks.

Reactions: Dmang714

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I really never understood why so many people knock on his skating... i mean hes not the fastest skater but i dont see much wrong with his skating.

It's a desire to make everything binary and simple. If you're not a burner, you're not a good skater. If you don't have a bomb, you're not a good shooter. Zegras isn't a burner but he has fantastic agility and feet, which is what you want with his style of play.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Zegras an average skater? Jesus. I love the way HF evaluates skating. If you don't skate like McDavid, MacKinnon, or Eichel, you're not a good skater.

He's just not fast enough currently to escape AHL defenders and currently he's not physically mature so you can just push him (in the AHL) and he falls over.

This is the second AHL game I've seen him in and he definitely reminds me of Johnny Gaudreau. A tad slower (skating wise) and not physically mature yet. I guess Ducks/Gulls envision him as a winger.

Chase De Leo is total beast for the Gulls. And that Drysdale kid... wow.. he's a burner.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
He's just not fast enough currently to escape AHL defenders and currently he's not physically mature so you can just push him (in the AHL) and he falls over.

This is the second AHL game I've seen him in and he definitely reminds me of Johnny Gaudreau. A tad slower (skating wise) and not physically mature yet. I guess Ducks/Gulls envision him as a winger.

Chase De Leo is total beast for the Gulls. And that Drysdale kid... wow.. he's a burner.

Ducks want to ease Zegras in, they say that the goal is to move him to C but they want to start him at wing at the AHL and (we assume) move him over to C eventually, then up to NHL wing to adjust, then NHL C.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Ducks want to ease Zegras in, they say that the goal is to move him to C but they want to start him at wing at the AHL and (we assume) move him over to C eventually, then up to NHL wing to adjust, then NHL C.

Another primary assist on the Carrick goal. The vision is definitely there (nice pass). While I'm Condors fan, I've been a fan of Comtois on the Gulls so I like good players no matter what jersey they were. However I have yet to see Zegras win a board battle... he's just too weak even for the AHL.

And he just scored ... that even an ECHL goalie should had.

Reactions: Dmang714 and lwvs84

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado

Fast =/= Good Skater

Reactions: Boo Boo and voxel

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Another primary assist on the Carrick goal. The vision is definitely there (nice pass). While I'm Condors fan, I've been a fan of Comtois on the Gulls so I like good players no matter what jersey they were. However I have yet to see Zegras win a board battle... he's just too weak even for the AHL.

And he just scored ... that even an ECHL goalie should had.

Yeah, there's no reason to rush him. His vision and passing/creativity is probably NHL level already, but there's a lot of his game he can work on down in SD. Ducks are in a rebuild and shouldn't be in a hurry to move him up (aside from a short look at NHL level... I've been saying that this kid has the motivation and mentality to be good no matter what, getting a couple of games in the NHL will show him what he needs to work on).

Reactions: voxel
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad