C Trevor Zegras (2019, 9th, ANA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
There are two games available on YouTube from the Gulls account. I am a big critic of his physical maturity. It's ok, he knows it himself, he works on it, there are big improvements. But man, he is a magician with the puck. He is sneaky with it, he is sneaky getting it. He creates chances when he has the puck. And some of the plays are insane.
Just yesterday I was watching the latest game. I think it did not result in the goal but he made a shot on goal, got a rebound and made a no look pass through the legs back to a teammate. He did not even look to that side of the ice, but the pass was on tape but the teammate shot it in the chest of the goalie or something. And there were many samples like that.

In 4 games Gulls had one bad game, kind of the whole team laid an egg. In the remaining 3 games Z registered 2 assists in each. He is scoring like it's the WJC's again and I hope it goes on into the regular season in the AHL as well.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Kid's going to follow in the footsteps of Ryan Getzlaf as one of the league's premier playmakers by the looks of it.
Getzy was around 2PPG in his draft +3 in the AHL stint (around 20 games). Z looks to be around 1.5-2PPG in his draft+2 if he continues the preseason trend.

Getzy had and still has the big body to protect the puck. Z will never have it, but he looks very elusive and sneaky so far to make himself effective.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
More fiesty less good of a skating Marner.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Young Nuge was insanely creative. 106pt in his draft year and amazing in his first NHL season. The problem was a lingering shoulder injury in his first two years and shoulder surgery. He became more of a two way player after that.

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and Wayne Gretzky. Wayne Gretzky and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins | Edmonton Journal

I remember those days. Best vision since Gretzky and the wrist shot of Joe Sakic, with a sprinkle of Datsyuk thrown in.

He was insanely overrated. Good player, but overrated prospect. Edmonton hype machine was in overdrive that era.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
I remember those days. Best vision since Gretzky and the wrist shot of Joe Sakic lol.

He was insanely overrated. Good player, but overrated prospect.

The fact is he was amazingly creative in his first season or two. He doesn’t play like that anymore... I’ve always referred him as baby Datysuk. He’s been the Oilers top PK center for years now.

Anyhow, it’s good the Ducks aren’t rushing Zegras into the NHL because injuries can take their toll.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I see a lot of Patrick Kane in Zegras's game.
I think he has mentioned him as one he models his game after, albeit not 100% sure.

In other news, the AHL TV allows to watch all their games this weekend for free. The Gulls have 2 games against Condors today and tomorrow. It will be an official Zegras pro debut, the exhibition games were very very promising. Another notable debuts on the Gulls: Drysdale (recent #6 overall pick), Dostal (general hockey media just ignores it, but his early career so far can be described as ''record-breaking'', basically. Potential future #1), Tracey and Perreault (both recent late 1st rounders).

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
I think he has mentioned him as one he models his game after, albeit not 100% sure.

In other news, the AHL TV allows to watch all their games this weekend for free. The Gulls have 2 games against Condors today and tomorrow. It will be an official Zegras pro debut, the exhibition games were very very promising. Another notable debuts on the Gulls: Drysdale (recent #6 overall pick), Dostal (general hockey media just ignores it, but his early career so far can be described as ''record-breaking'', basically. Potential future #1), Tracey and Perreault (both recent late 1st rounders).
Very cool! The Gulls will be an interesting team to watch this season.

Reactions: Kalv

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
What does that have to do with his shot?

I kind of thought it was obvious?

edit: not going to talk about Marner any further, last thing we need is this to become a Leafs centred thread somehow...

Anyways, I don't really want to go down that path. I was mostly wondering if it was comparable to Kane's sneaky wrister, sounds like it's not quite there but also not a detriment.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dmang714
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad