C Trevor Zegras (2019, 9th, ANA) Part 2

SFKingshomer

Aug 2, 2008
Sioux Falls
I don't think you value these players enough, this is kind of like Patrick Kane all over again. Creators of offense that can stickhandle and distribute the puck like this kid can are insanely valuable and hard to find. There just aren't that many players with this type of offensive skill available in any given draft. I think he's way closer to a star than you think, and the Kings would be in amazing shape with him and QB in the organization at 20 and 19 years old.

That's fair but every GM in the league would take a Bergeron type over Savard. The key for Anaheim will be if Zegras can fix the rest of his game and get a matchup center to help him out. Right now he has a bunch to work on but sounds like he has the work ethic to improve.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
That's fair but every GM in the league would take a Bergeron type over Savard. The key for Anaheim will be if Zegras can fix the rest of his game and get a matchup center to help him out. Right now he has a bunch to work on but sounds like he has the work ethic to improve.
McTavish has the potential to be exactly that type of guy.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI

Here is the problem though. You guys a lot of times think every two-way player is Bergeron and every gritty player is Toews but don't give the same benefit to the offensive players. It's always ceiling for them vs. basement (or maybe first level) for the scorers. Patrice Bergeron is the greatest defensive center in the history of the NHL, to think that there will be multiples of him is wishful thinking. These two-way players that you love have just as much a chance of being anywhere from a Jarret Stoll to a Mike Richards as they do of being Bergeron.

To use Turcotte for an example, if he were to have been Richards, do you take Richards over the ceiling of Zegras, which is say a Kucherov type player? Is anyone taking prime Richards over prime Kucherov? I'm not saying either thing happen but I think with the two-way lower ceiling guys there is just the assumption that they always hit their lower ceiling, which isn't always the case. If both guys hit the lower end of their careers would you rather have Jarret Stoll or RNH?

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Does he really tho? You make it sound like his game is all show and thats it... hes fine on forecheck/ and even in nuetral zone. He gets lost in the D zone when other team has control but that is fairly normal for a young player. Many players ahead of him in that draft that are struggling with much more than just the Dzone.

Reactions: 405Entrance

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Here is the problem though. You guys a lot of times think every two-way player is Bergeron and every gritty player is Toews but don't give the same benefit to the offensive players. It's always ceiling for them vs. basement (or maybe first level) for the scorers. Patrice Bergeron is the greatest defensive center in the history of the NHL, to think that there will be multiples of him is wishful thinking. These two-way players that you love have just as much a chance of being anywhere from a Jarret Stoll to a Mike Richards as they do of being Bergeron.

To use Turcotte for an example, if he were to have been Richards, do you take Richards over the ceiling of Zegras, which is say a Kucherov type player? Is anyone taking prime Richards over prime Kucherov? I'm not saying either thing happen but I think with the two-way lower ceiling guys there is just the assumption that they always hit their lower ceiling, which isn't always the case. If both guys hit the lower end of their careers would you rather have Jarret Stoll or RNH?
People generally compare offensive young players to Bergeron/kopitar like those are the norms for 2way forwards, when in reality those are more towards outliers.

A guy like Turcotte likely is never going to be anywhere near Kopitar/Bergeron.... he may be mike richards potentially/hopefully for the kings... but even then its prob not what you want value wise from a 5th overall pick... Anaheim got a pretty similar player in Lundestrom in the 20s... doesnt make him a bad player... but certainly id be disappointed if we drafted lundestrom at 5th overall right now.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
People generally compare offensive young players to Bergeron/kopitar like those are the norms for 2way forwards, when in reality those are more towards outliers.

A guy like Turcotte likely is never going to be anywhere near Kopitar/Bergeron.... he may be mike richards potentially/hopefully for the kings... but even then its prob not what you want value wise from a 5th overall pick... Anaheim got a pretty similar player in Lundestrom in the 20s... doesnt make him a bad player... but certainly id be disappointed if we drafted lundestrom at 5th overall right now.

A prime Richards would be fine as a #5 OA pick. He had a very short window but he was a pretty big star in his prime in Philly. The problem is Turcotte's offensive upside is just not at Richards level. Richards also was a Selke finalist.

But I agree with the rest, and that is why the Turcotte pick is going to be a bad ROI for the Kings. The Kings rebuild should have been built around their #5, #2 and #7 picks in 19-20-21. You need to try and find core building block players with star upside with all of those picks, and the Kings passed on higher ceiling players for someone with a more limited upside. The Kings rebuild is now over, they aren't going to have 5 elite picks like some other teams might have. Although I will say, the Kings made a wonderful value pick that same draft with Kaliyev, he will fill a huge role for the Kings going forward, I think he has 35+ goal potential with how he shoots the puck.

Oct 18, 2011
Turcotte never passed the eye test for me in terms of having star traits. He may well develop into a good player he just never really jumps off the screen, Zegras does though but maybe that 200 foot game never comes which would be a shame because he can do it

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Better be saying the same in the seider thread, and Raymond thread.
Seider is apparently a Norris finalist and a prospect. It's obvious which fans are complaining in here.

Vinegar Strokes

Dirty Ducks
Oct 26, 2006
San DIego
His defensive game is still underrated. Most people know him for his elite skill but he plays every inch of the ice.

He has a very active stick, is good at stripping pucks both in the offensive zone and neutral zone, back checks hard, and can be a puck hound.

He gets absolutely lost at times in the d-zone, can be easily overpowered in the corners, and isn’t great at face offs.

I expect him to become much better at his deficiencies as he gains experience and gains some strength.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
He has a very active stick, is good at stripping pucks both in the offensive zone and neutral zone, back checks hard, and can be a puck hound.

He gets absolutely lost at times in the d-zone, can be easily overpowered in the corners, and isn’t great at face offs.

I expect him to become much better at his deficiencies as he gains experience and gains some strength.

And as he re-acclimates to the center position again.

Reactions: Vipers31 and bsu

Vinegar Strokes

Dirty Ducks
Oct 26, 2006
San DIego

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad