C Shane Wright - Kingston Frontenacs, OHL (2022, 4th, SEA) Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
The season is so absurdly long that I wouldn't be concerned until perhaps a month went past.
Yeah, I could get behind that. Frankly I personally have a very patient approach to prospects, so it would take a lot to get me genuinely concerned.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Yeah, I could get behind that. Frankly I personally have a very patient approach to prospects, so it would take a lot to get me genuinely concerned.

Yeah so much of their development is physical and mental growth, and a lot of tactical / technical training that they get in practice. We overfixate on games played.

Look at how much better Pavel Mintyukov was from 16 to 18, zero games played.

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
I asked this on the Kraken forum but not 100% sure still. Can a player be traded from the OHL to WHL (i'm guessing the answer is no but is there an exemption/waiver process)? i.e. could Wright be traded to the Thunderbirds/Silvertips? Would be a best of both worlds situation for now. Would still be able to be around the org/city on off days and I imagine the standard isn't too different between WHL and OHL.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
I asked this on the Kraken forum but not 100% sure still. Can a player be traded from the OHL to WHL (i'm guessing the answer is no but is there an exemption/waiver process)? i.e. could Wright be traded to the Thunderbirds/Silvertips? Would be a best of both worlds situation for now. Would still be able to be around the org/city on off days and I imagine the standard isn't too different between WHL and OHL.

I don't think cross league trades can happen, might be wrong.

Kingston could always trade him, I'm sure Seattle could nudge the team a bit.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
I don’t think it’s such a bad thing if they play him every second game and Seattle keeps him around until mid November then sends him back down. Gets to train with the NHL team and get a few games in. Heads back in time to play in the world juniors

Reactions: majormajor

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB

No, it's not possible to be traded. I believe for a player to go from one league to another they would have to pass through OHL waivers first.

Reactions: 93LEAFS

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
I'm assuming Seattle is playing him in games they deemed to be weaker competition? Seems to be the only logic thus far.

Could also be trying to bide their time for a trade in junior, which they feel is not imminent?

For what it's worth, I don't have an issue with scratching a young gun, though I dunno if I'd go more than 1 game at a time.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Remember…Shane Wright famously thrives as a result of not getting games.

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal
When healthy scratched
CC32064D-650B-4F1F-A7FA-D3C429C06E43.jpeg

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I'm assuming Seattle is playing him in games they deemed to be weaker competition? Seems to be the only logic thus far.

Could also be trying to bide their time for a trade in junior, which they feel is not imminent?

For what it's worth, I don't have an issue with scratching a young gun, though I dunno if I'd go more than 1 game at a time.

They want him to get the benefit of practicing with the big club and working with team trainers and skill coaches. Folks here seem to think that improvement comes from games but I think for an 18 year old forward more of it comes from practice and training and overall mental and physical maturity.

Reactions: KristichBabych

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
I don’t think it’s such a bad thing if they play him every second game and Seattle keeps him around until mid November then sends him back down. Gets to train with the NHL team and get a few games in. Heads back in time to play in the world juniors
Hes missed so many games already I can’t imagine him missing half the games is a good idea

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
They want him to get the benefit of practicing with the big club and working with team trainers and skill coaches. Folks here seem to think that improvement comes from games but I think for an 18 year old forward more of it comes from practice and training and overall mental and physical maturity.
I think it works best with a constant and solid routine. Like, honestly, just have your player development guys camp out in Kingston. The NHL grind really isn't built for player development, which is why most massive gains are made in the off-season where you work with individual skill/skating coaches and physical trainers. NHL practices are very overrated in this regard, the grind of the season doesn't allow for significant player development on this front. The travel is too intense and the games too draining. So, either go back to junior and work with private skill coaches and Seattle player development guys Monday to Thursday (as a crazy amount of OHL games are friday to sunday) or play him 3rd line minutes at a minimum.

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
I disagree. He’s missed so many games already because of COVID …he needs games at this point. He’s basically played 70 games in 2 full calendar years. He doesn’t need more practice or skill coaching. He needs games.

Reactions: wetcoast

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Why don’t all teams just keep their best prospects up with the big club then?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I think it works best with a constant and solid routine. Like, honestly, just have your player development guys camp out in Kingston. The NHL grind really isn't built for player development, which is why most massive gains are made in the off-season where you work with individual skill/skating coaches and physical trainers. NHL practices are very overrated in this regard, the grind of the season doesn't allow for significant player development on this front. The travel is too intense and the games too draining. So, either go back to junior and work with private skill coaches and Seattle player development guys Monday to Thursday (as a crazy amount of OHL games are friday to sunday) or play him 3rd line minutes at a minimum.

I agree that he should eventually go back to the OHL. It will give him a chance to step up his high end offense and creativity and be a little less boring. But if that starts in a month or two it won't matter.

I disagree. He’s missed so many games already because of COVID …he needs games at this point. He’s basically played 70 games in 2 full calendar years. He doesn’t need more practice or skill coaching. He needs games.

Nonsense. So many OHLers looked night and day from before the pandemic break. How do you think Mintyukov skyrocketed in that time? It's practice and training. Shane just did the wrong training and was out of shape last year but he's in shape right now and looks to be on track. He'll get his games, which are helpful but not the meat of the development process.

Why don’t all teams just keep their best prospects up with the big club then?

Well Shane will have to play, I'm not saying he should sit all year. But playing 9 games and being with the club trainers for another 9 would be fine.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I agree that he should eventually go back to the OHL. It will give him a chance to step up his high end offense and creativity and be a little less boring. But if that starts in a month or two it won't matter.

Nonsense. So many OHLers looked night and day from before the pandemic break. How do you think Mintyukov skyrocketed in that time? It's practice and training. Shane just did the wrong training and was out of shape last year but he's in shape right now and looks to be on track. He'll get his games, which are helpful but not the meat of the development process.

Well Shane will have to play, I'm not saying he should sit all year. But playing 9 games and being with the club trainers for another 9 would be fine.
So why don’t more teams do this then? Is it because essentially keeping a player out half a season is a bad idea?

Reactions: wetcoast

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
So why don’t more teams do this then? Is it because essentially keeping a player out half a season is a bad idea?

Half a season is a bit much. We're 3 games in lol. People need to chill.

The marginal benefit to Shane Wright of playing the 70th or 80th game in a year is very, very small. Perhaps negative, that might be too much.

The marginal benefit of playing a 40th or 50th game would be higher.

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
High end offense and creativity is not something Wright is known for. He's a touch pass kind of player with good speed and a decent shot.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
High end offense and creativity is not something Wright is known for. He's a touch pass kind of player with good speed and a decent shot.

I know but this year in junior would be an opportunity to stretch his game. For instance he'd be a lot more dangerous if he could hold the puck against pressure a little longer.

Reactions: Kojo

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Hakstol's handling Wright is nutty.

Sorry but playing a guy 6 minutes in his only game then healthy scratching him for the next two is idiotic coaching.
If this continues ill start to wonder if the Kraken actually wanted to draft him and only took him because they were shell shocked that he dropped to them.

I wonder who the Kraken would have drafted if Wright hadn't been there.

Bone Density

Jul 27, 2022
If this continues ill start to wonder if the Kraken actually wanted to draft him and only took him because they were shell shocked that he dropped to them.

I wonder who the Kraken would have drafted if Wright hadn't been there.
Various sources said they were very high on Nemec. Maybe Jiricek?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad