C Shane Wright - Kingston Frontenacs, OHL (2022, 4th, SEA) Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
Yes people are upset and taking their disappointed on Wright... People actually spend MONEY on a Montreal wright #51 jersey before it was even revealed who Montreal was going to take...

The Devils never ever ever was going to take Wright if available. Its been very clear that they did not need a Center. They actually wanted a winger specifically slaf or a right handed Dman. Montreal took Slaf so devils took Nemec.

If the coyotes wanted wright they would have taken him, they didn't take wright and sticked with their orginal plans which was cooley if montreal didn't take him. Devils wasn't going to take cooley cause they didn't need a center.

If someone answers when asked that he want to be there in arizona and play for that team, you take him. Arizona wanting cooley has NOTHING to do with wright or rather cooley is better than Wright. You can't argue that cooley is better than wright thats why arizona took cooley cause it can't be prove yet since none of these players had any significant playing time in the NHL. Its going to take a few years until these draft picks can be fairly judged.

Players drop in the draft for what ever reason it maybe all the time and no player should be ever trashed/harassed/insulted by fans or media just cause they are disappointed or upset. That's on them not on the player.

If you think a player is better than another you take him, plain and simple.

There is no, oh this guy like our franchise, we think the other guy is better but we'll take him anyway.

If the devils thought Wright would be the best player in the draft, who cares jf they didn't ''need'' a center? there's always a way to make it work.

bishop12

Ovyously
Dec 1, 2006
Pat Burns once did the same with Joe Thornton.

But I suspect they are testing Wright's attitude towards it.

He was the talent predicted to go 1st overall, but 3 teams passed on him after talking with him, reportedly because of his attitude. When teams as bad as Montreal, New jersey and Arizona pass on you....LOL. Next thing you know there is footage of him having tantrums with Seattle coaches at practices and sitting on the ice not moving until the Zamboni driver honks 8 times and looking annoyed he has to move.
His attitude was the reason they passed? Is that confirmed? Was he too intense?

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta

There is no, oh this guy like our franchise, we think the other guy is better but we'll take him anyway.

If the devils thought Wright would be the best player in the draft, who cares jf they didn't ''need'' a center? there's always a way to make it work.
It was said multiple times before the draft that there was no big gap in the top 10. It makes a lot of sense to pick the prospect that is the right fit for your team if that is the case.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012

Hello Arizona actually asked that question during the interviews and liked Cooley's answer.

Who cares what a teams need? Guess what the teams cares. And guess what plan a for the devils was Slaf plan B was a right handed Dman. They were NEVER ever going to take a center.

There is no written rule that teams must take BPA. BPA is subjective and can't be proven at the draft itself who is BPA. Every teams big board is different. None of us know not even the teams themselves know how will any of their picks do for their team or how they compare with other teams picks until they actually spend a few years in the NHL. Then and only then can anyone look back at this draft and say who got it right and who got it wrong.

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
His attitude was the reason they passed? Is that confirmed? Was he too intense?

I don't think it's an attitude problem but perhaps it has to do with him having difficulty dealing with the pression and getting pushed further.

Montreal did video with him (and Slaf and Cooley) pointing some of his bad plays and asking him questions to see how he would react.

They also had Vincent Lecavalier speaking with him to talk with him about his season, being taken first overall and the pressure that would come with it.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
He was the talent predicted to go 1st overall, but 3 teams passed on him after talking with him, reportedly because of his attitude.

He was predicted to go first overall before the season started but scouts soured on him early and throughout the year. They didn't like how he played. That didn't stop the Canadian media with the hype train so a lot of low-info folks were blindsided by Wright falling, and they're reaching for all sorts of other explanations like bad interviews. I don't doubt that his interviews hurt his cause and in a very close decision perhaps if Wright had great interviews he could have still gone first. But he didn't drop from presumptive #1 to #4 because of interviews. He had already fallen and it was a close battle among flawed options.

Reactions: jrom

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Hello Arizona actually asked that question during the interviews and liked Cooley's answer.

Who cares what a teams need? Guess what the teams cares. And guess what plan a for the devils was Slaf plan B was a right handed Dman. They were NEVER ever going to take a center.

There is no written rule that teams must take BPA. BPA is subjective and can't be proven at the draft itself who is BPA. Every teams big board is different. None of us know not even the teams themselves know how will any of their picks do for their team or how they compare with other teams picks until they actually spend a few years in the NHL. Then and only then can anyone look back at this draft and say who got it right and who got it wrong.
I will add that the Devils prospect depth is pretty well stocked so taking one of the safest players in the draft that still had a high Ceiling makes a lot of sense. Devils got extremely lucky to get the 2OA so why kick the gifthorse in the mouth and not take the "surest thing".

Meanwhile the Habs, Coyotes, and Kraken all for different reasons needed to shoot for the moon with their choices and went for the guys who have the potential to be franchise/Allstar players.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I don't think it's an attitude problem but perhaps it has to do with him having difficulty dealing with the pression and getting pushed further.

Montreal did video with him (and Slaf and Cooley) pointing some of his bad plays and asking him questions to see how he would react.

They also had Vincent Lecavalier speaking with him to talk with him about his season, being taken first overall and the pressure that would come with it.

Not everyone handles interviews well. Wright could been well nervous at the time and couldn't come out with a clear well thought answer. I don't blame wright if he was nervous when those questions were asked of him.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I will add that the Devils prospect depth is pretty well stocked so taking one of the safest players in the draft that still had a high Ceiling makes a lot of sense. Devils got extremely lucky to get the 2OA so why kick the gifthorse in the mouth and not take the "surest thing".

Meanwhile Habs, Coyotes, and Kraken all for different reasons needed to shoot for the moon with their choices and went for the guys who have the potential to be franchise/Allstar players.

There was no shooting for the moon for Seattle since they needed pretty much a lot regardless of position. Seattle benefited the most with having 4OA in case anyone were to drop. Plus Seattle original plan was actually taking Nemec at 4 since the original thought teams had that wright slaf cooley was going 1 2 3 thus leaving Nemec for Seattle.

You can tell how big Seattle was on wright in regards to their big boards given how fast Francis announced the pick. I have no doubt if Seattle had 1OA, Wright would have been the top pick imo. There is no way Seattle would had taken anyone else at 1OA if they had said pick cause well a Beniers Wright as their long term 1C/2C is just god damm...

Not even Vegas got their 1C/2C figured out that quickly and not on the cheap either.

Last edited:

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
There was no shooting for the moon for Seattle since they needed pretty much a lot regardless of position. Seattle benefited the most with having 4OA in case anyone were to drop. Plus Seattle original plan was actually taking Nemec at 4 since the original thought teams had that wright slaf cooley was going 1 2 3 thus leaving Nemec for Seattle.

You can tell how big Seattle was on wright in regards to their big boards given how fast Francis announced the pick. I have no doubt if Seattle had 1OA, Wright would have been the top pick imo. There is no way Seattle would had taken anyone else at 1OA if they had said pick cause well a Beniers Wright as their long term 1C/2C is just god damm...

Not even Vegas got their 1C/2C figured out that quickly and not on the cheap either.
yeah its hard to see who would would have been the other choice for the Kraken at that point. Kasper and Geekie are both intriguing but to unknown or questionable to be picked 4th. Lambert after the preseason might have made sense but as always hindsight is 20/20.

The Kraken have shown that they want to become competitive quickly so picking a defensman in the 1st round doesn't make sense as they usually take longer to develop. Also I believe that the Krakens current defence is one of their bright spots.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
yeah its hard to see who would would have been the other choice for the Kraken at that point. Kasper and Geekie are both intriguing but to unknown or questionable to be picked 4th. Lambert after the preseason might have made sense but as always hindsight is 20/20.

The Kraken have shown that they want to become competitive quickly so picking a defensman in the 1st round doesn't make sense as they usually take longer to develop. Also I believe that the Krakens current defence is one of their bright spots.

Seattle has a lot of holes at just about any position. wingers, centers, defenseman, goalies. They also needed a right handed dman thats why the whole focus was on Nemec until devils took him.

Seattle's Defense is actually still underperforming, They also actually lack a top pair on the blue line but wright dropping to us took care one of the biggest needs the team had and fills their plan of playing through the middle. The only thing the team really needs top line wings (going to take a while to fill that) and a top pair for defense and having a goalie pool with out having to worry about losing a goalie to a waiver claim (which actually did happen). We are basically set at Center for a long long time.

I feel all this trashing of wright is more of that they are jealous of us cause we gotten potentially the BPA for 2 drafts in a row with out actually having the top pick for both drafts. Beniers/wright i feel, will be the next best upcoming 1c/2c in the league. Note i said upcoming not current and by the the time beniers and wright are in their primes, most of the current best quality 1c/2c combo in the league would be past their prime or retired or even on different teams.

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
The Kraken have shown that they want to become competitive quickly so picking a defensman in the 1st round doesn't make sense as they usually take longer to develop.

It doesn't seem to have worked that way in recent years. There's D from 2018-20 that are popping before the forwards. I believe they were rumored to have interest in Nemec but who knows if that was BS.

Also I believe that the Krakens current defence is one of their bright spots.

That's not the opinion of the fan base. There's not a single top pair guy in the org.

Reactions: Xirik

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
That's not the opinion of the fan base. There's not a single top pair guy in the org.
Definitely no top pairing guys but they definitely have a couple 2nd paring/ 3rd/2nd tweeners in that defense core.

There are about 9-10 teams that I think wish they had Seattle's Defence.

Jul 6, 2016

That's not Habs have done few years ago when they took KK instead of Thatchuk !

Reactions: Ryan Van Horne

Kennerback

Juraj NoShootsky
Jun 2, 2021
There’s always two sides to people
I believe the concept of "bad attitude" is overblown. You want a good hockey player not Mr. Personality. Who cares if the player is a bit rough around the edges. It's not even necessarily negative.

Unless it's an extreme case. For example a few years ago a defenseman was a "No Draft" for many teams because of his interviews. But these cases are few or far between.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sugi21

Sugi21

Dec 7, 2016
I believe the concept of "bad attitude" is overblown. You want a good hockey player not Mr. Personality. Who cares if the player is a bit rough around the edges. It's not even necessarily negative.

Unless it's an extreme case. For example a few years ago a defenseman was a "No Draft" for many teams because of his interviews. But these cases are few or far between.
Yeah I get what you’re saying I just think GM’s want to make sure they draft a mature player with a good head on their shoulders and not an immature diva type I guess but not sure how much you can gauge that on a few interviews but some people just ooze narcissistic, immature, self absorbed traits haha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad