C Ryan Donato (2014, 56th, BOS)

ballofhate13

Jan 6, 2018
Damn this teams scouts are great and that Pastrnak draft for non bruin fans you need to look that up. Home-run of a draft and many with a ton of knowledge on bruins board have stated next to Pastrnak Donato is the next best prospect they had. Damn boston has a ton of youth talent and Sweeney has a Harvard degree in business thank god because Boston will not be able to keep all of these kids.

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
There will be pretty stiff competition this September between Heinen/Donato/Bjork/Senyshyn/JFK for two 3rd line forward spots on the Bruins.

I don't see why JFK, Donato, Bjork and Heinen couldn't all play for Boston next season. (Senyshyn needs more seasoning in the AHL, I think.) The Bruins—at least I hope—will make the transition to a speedy and skilled fourth line, so you could see something like this:

Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak
Donato-Krejci-Rick Nash (if he returns)
Debrusk-JFK-Backes
Heinen-Kuraly-Bjork

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Damn this teams scouts are great and that Pastrnak draft for non bruin fans you need to look that up. Home-run of a draft and many with a ton of knowledge on bruins board have stated next to Pastrnak Donato is the next best prospect they had. Damn boston has a ton of youth talent and Sweeney has a Harvard degree in business thank god because Boston will not be able to keep all of these kids.

The men responsible for those picks have movesd to the Oilers organization.
The lone aspect of Chiarelli that Oilers fans are excited about are his and Keith Gretzky's drafting.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
The lone aspect of Chiarelli that Oilers fans are excited about are his and Keith Gretzky's drafting.

Heinen, Donato, Pastrnak....Yeah, definitely the reasons for those players were Chiarelli (LOL) and Gretzky. It wasn't the actual men who were watching these players; Malkoc, Svensson, Axelsson..... I wouldn't even consider Chiarelli in this comment. Did you see his track record before Gretzky got here? Putrid..... Here's a guy who employed his brother Mike (he's also with Edmonton) to "scout" the OHL. Check the track record for Boston there, besides Seguin (no brainer) and Hamilton (no brainer, at the time...Didn't work out).

Reactions: ImNeverWrong

TMLeafs18

Aug 7, 2015
Canada
Just what toronto needed ..... Boston finds a gem right before playoffs. Hasn’t looked out of place in the first two games. Keeps this up and he will become an important part of any playoff run.

Reactions: AmericanDream

Thrive

Scoish Velociraptor Maloish
Jan 10, 2009
Massachusetts
Gretzky is the only one you should be excited about when talking about drafting. Chiarelli should hold zero credit for drafting... in fact Daryl Katz would be wise to remove ChiaPet and promote Gretzky while Gretzky is still under your control and before he is stolen by another club.

ImNeverWrong

THE HF ALPHA
Jan 18, 2018
Heinen, Donato, Pastrnak....Yeah, definitely the reasons for those players were Chiarelli (LOL) and Gretzky. It wasn't the actual men who were watching these players; Malkoc, Svensson, Axelsson..... I wouldn't even consider Chiarelli in this comment. Did you see his track record before Gretzky got here? Putrid..... Here's a guy who employed his brother Mike (he's also with Edmonton) to "scout" the OHL. Check the track record for Boston there, besides Seguin (no brainer) and Hamilton (no brainer, at the time...Didn't work out).
Can you talk more about the incompetence about Chia's drafting inability as a bruin gm? lol.

Donato looks way to good to be someone scouted by Chiarelli. Maybe if Donato was 6'4, skated like a tree and had no hands...i'd think it was a pick attributed to Chiarelli.

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
This kid is really good, tbh I never watch the Bruins but I watched them against the Jackets because I got TVA sport now so I said what the hell lets watch this game. This kid was all over there and it didn't even feel like he was a freshman IMO. What a gem the Bruins found and as an Avs fan I hope that Bowers can turn into something like that.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
just imagine if they actually drafted Barzal and Connor like they should have!! The league would be waving a white flag for the next 10 years...

Either way the B's scouts are solid. Give the B's scouts props when they deserve it. (I'm not a Bruins fan by any means as well)

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Either way the B's scouts are solid. Give the B's scouts props when they deserve it. (I'm not a Bruins fan by any means as well)
I am just pointing out what "should" have been. the B's scouts do a great job in later rounds like Winter said...them getting Donato and Bjork where they got them at is insane...same with Heinen..McAvoy was a very highly rated player, but they jumped on him and give them complete props for that as well...but if they would have drafted Barzal and Connor, I have no idea what team could compete with them over the next 5-6 years.

Reactions: Zaddy and lakai17

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
I am just pointing out what "should" have been. the B's scouts do a great job in later rounds like Winter said...them getting Donato and Bjork where they got them at is insane...same with Heinen..McAvoy was a very highly rated player, but they jumped on him and give them complete props for that as well...but if they would have drafted Barzal and Connor, I have no idea what team could compete with them over the next 5-6 years.

Even just one of them but all the other scouts slept on both as well for where they were drafted.

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
Is Ryan Donato top 3 favorite to win Calder next year? Hes such a talented goal scorer and I really believe he could win it especially if he plays on the #1 power play.
Probably not. Don't see how he's gonna get the playing time plus there will be better players than him: Svechnikov, Dahlin, Zadina, Pettersson, just to name a few.

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Probably not. Don't see how he's gonna get the playing time plus there will be better players than him: Svechnikov, Dahlin, Zadina, Pettersson, just to name a few.
He was on the top power play tonightl. It seemed to help Barzal's stats, so who knows. Donato has the same star power from my viewing. Those other guys are no doubt good but are not doing what Donato did in the Olympics or the NHL yet. We shall see but Donato will be in the mix for sure. He will only get better and has an edge on them playing in the show and performing at a high level already. The playoff experience he will get will be great for his confidence.

Last edited:

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Kid now has 7 pts in 7 games, 4 goals-3 assists. His line had 8 pts today. First game with DeBrusk which pushed the natural center who was on left wing to right wing. They had instant chemistry along with Krejci. All he needs to do is get stronger, everything else is already in the package, clear Calder threat next year.

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan
Ya right because he is going to go from the second line this year to the fourth next year, man some people. Seven games, seven points, he will likely win the Calder next year.

Reactions: FanSince72

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
Ya right because he is going to go from the second line this year to the fourth next year, man some people. Seven games, seven points, he will likely win the Calder next year.
It's been 7 games and you think he'll likely win the Calder next year. Right, because he'll be PPG player based on 7 games. And no other good rookies will be entering the league next year, of course. Man, some people.

The logical statement to make is this: he'll likely have a good year next season and may be in the discussion for the Calder as there will be other very good rookies playing in the NHL. But no, he is LIKELY to win it based on a 7 game sample. Sigh.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Donato was on my draft radar in 2014 and I really wanted the Yotes to use one of their two 2nds that year on him. Happy to see him making an impact right out of the gate for the Bruins.

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan
It's been 7 games and you think he'll likely win the Calder next year. Right, because he'll be PPG player based on 7 games. And no other good rookies will be entering the league next year, of course. Man, some people.

The logical statement to make is this: he'll likely have a good year next season and may be in the discussion for the Calder as there will be other very good rookies playing in the NHL. But no, he is LIKELY to win it based on a 7 game sample. Sigh.
I would put money on him winning. Kid is the real deal and he will be playing first or second line with first pp, barring injury it is his to lose.

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
I would put money on him winning. Kid is the real deal and he will be playing first or second line with first pp, barring injury it is his to lose.

You're the only (unrealistic) one that thinks this. Other Bruin fans understand that he has a chance, but he's up against another expectedly good rookie class. There's plenty of a fantastic players that will contend for the Calder. Please don't be silly.

Reactions: Estlin

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
You're the only (unrealistic) one that thinks this. Other Bruin fans understand that he has a chance, but he's up against another expectedly good rookie class. There's plenty of a fantastic players that will contend for the Calder. Please don't be silly.

people thought this year would be a down year for rookies and the calder- I thought they were crazy and proven right - 2017-18 was a great year for rookies.

I do not see next year as being anywhere close to this on high end skill/overall depth. There are just a lot of unknowns and kids who might/might not make their NHL teams..

as for Donato, my views are well known on him - he is a lock for top 3 for the Calder if he stays healthy - not worried about his ice-time and role next year - kid can produce and bounce around lineups like Kyle Connor and Barzal did. people need to stop going off where a player was drafted and start focusing on their skill - it is painfully obvious he is far beyond ready for the NHL and will be very successful here.

Reactions: FanSince72

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
people thought this year would be a down year for rookies and the calder- I thought they were crazy and proven right - 2017-18 was a great year for rookies.

I do not see next year as being anywhere close to this on high end skill/overall depth. There are just a lot of unknowns and kids who might/might not make their NHL teams..

as for Donato, my views are well known on him - he is a lock for top 3 for the Calder if he stays healthy - not worried about his ice-time and role next year - kid can produce and bounce around lineups like Kyle Connor and Barzal did. people need to stop going off where a player was drafted and start focusing on their skill - it is painfully obvious he is far beyond ready for the NHL and will be very successful here.
Not sure about next year not being as good. We are talking about a much better draft year with guys like Dahlin, Svechnikov and Zadina all being better than Hishier and Patrick. Then add in guys like Donato, Tolvanen, Mittlestadt, Chytil, Sprong, Necas, Cirelli, Glass, Vilardi, Petersson, Thomas, Borgstrom, Sikura to name a few guys who should do quite well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad