C/RW Mitch Marner - London Knights, OHL (2015, 4th, TOR) VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
one of GOAT junior players in history of hockey...lets see how his game translates against pros

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I hate the Leafs but Marner is so damn good. Very good chance he is about as good as Patrick Kane (maybe not 15-16 Kane though).

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto
OHL reg season MVP
OHL playoff MVP
CHL player of the year
Memorial Cup MVP

What a year for my boy

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
That's a little extreme, but no doubt he had an incredible junior career.
Two seasons of back to back 2ppg prior to being 19, over two ppg in back to back playoffs and a sweep of major awards he was eligible. Only recent OHL guys who probably deserve to be mentioned alongside him are Perry, Tavares, Hall and McDavid, atleast in regards to accomplishments, and only Hall and Perry won the Memorial Cup. Look at this list of accomplishments

2ppg in their 17 year old season in their 20 years in the OHL.
Gagner
Tavares
Thornton
McDavid
Spezza
Marc Savard
Mitch Marner

2ppg in their 18 year old season in their 20 years in the OHL
Corey Locke
Patrick Kane
Mitch Marner

Players in the OHL in the past 20 years to put up 2ppg in back to back seasons
Tavares (16 and 17 year old year, failed at 18)
Mitch Marner (17 and 18 year old year)

2PPG in a playoffs with over 15 games played in past 20 years
Justin Papineau
Connor McDavid
Robbie Schremp
Corey Pecker
Matthew Tkachuk
Corey Perry
Marc Savard
Mitch Marner

Players who won CHL Player of the Year, OHL MVP and OHL Playoff MVP
Mitch Marner
Connor McDavid

Players who won CHL Player of the Year, League MVP, League Playoff MVP, and Memorial Cup MVP
Mitch Marner
Brad Richards

Players who won OHL MVP, OHL Playoff MVP and Memorial Cup MVP
Corey Perry
Mitch Marner

This list is not definitive, as I may of missed people, quickly sorting through Elite and going off memory. But he absolutely needs to be in the discussion in regards to accomplishments. I agree he isn't as transcendent as guys such as Crosby, McDavid and Lindros.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I hate the Leafs but Marner is so damn good. Very good chance he is about as good as Patrick Kane (maybe not 15-16 Kane though).
Yeah, the year Kane just had makes that comparison slightly reaching. Comparing him to Kane's career prior to this year would probably be closer to what Marner can be. His game is closer to Giroux. He isn't as elite a skater or have as good shot at Kane, but has more grit and committed two way game.

Kyle93

Mar 30, 2012
Already started to lift the weights in preparation for training camp.

Cjqzn-PW0AEKLVh.jpg

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Two seasons of back to back 2ppg prior to being 19, over two ppg in back to back playoffs and a sweep of major awards he was eligible. Only recent OHL guys who probably deserve to be mentioned alongside him are Perry, Tavares, Hall and McDavid, atleast in regards to accomplishments, and only Hall and Perry won the Memorial Cup. Look at this list of accomplishments

2ppg in their 17 year old season in their 20 years in the OHL.
Gagner
Tavares
Thornton
McDavid
Spezza
Marc Savard
Mitch Marner

2ppg in their 18 year old season in their 20 years in the OHL
Corey Locke
Patrick Kane
Mitch Marner

Players in the OHL in the past 20 years to put up 2ppg in back to back seasons
Tavares (16 and 17 year old year, failed at 18)
Mitch Marner (17 and 18 year old year)

2PPG in a playoffs with over 15 games played in past 20 years
Justin Papineau
Connor McDavid
Robbie Schremp
Corey Pecker
Matthew Tkachuk
Corey Perry
Marc Savard
Mitch Marner

Players who won CHL Player of the Year, OHL MVP and OHL Playoff MVP
Mitch Marner
Connor McDavid

Players who won CHL Player of the Year, League MVP, League Playoff MVP, and Memorial Cup MVP
Mitch Marner
Brad Richards

Players who won OHL MVP, OHL Playoff MVP and Memorial Cup MVP
Corey Perry
Mitch Marner

This list is not definitive, as I may of missed people, quickly sorting through Elite and going off memory. But he absolutely needs to be in the discussion in regards to accomplishments. I agree he isn't as transcendent as guys such as Crosby, McDavid and Lindros.

Agreed he has a great list of accomplishments, not taking that away from him. He's just definitely not in the conversation for one of the best Junior players of all time liken that poster claimed.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Agreed he has a great list of accomplishments, not taking that away from him. He's just definitely not in the conversation for one of the best Junior players of all time liken that poster claimed.
I think it depends on how you define greatest. Its weird considering the best of the best leave before most players. Like its pretty obvious Mario, Crosby, Lindors and Mcdavid have the claim as the best players in regards to level of talent and excitement. When you start breaking down accomplishments guys like Perry, Drouin, Hall, and Marner enter the discussion. Its a weird balance, and much harder to measure than the NHL.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Yeah, the year Kane just had makes that comparison slightly reaching. Comparing him to Kane's career prior to this year would probably be closer to what Marner can be. His game is closer to Giroux. He isn't as elite a skater or have as good shot at Kane, but has more grit and committed two way game.

I see a lot of Giroux in him too for sure.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
If he was draft eligible this year instead of last, where would he be projected?

Thank God the leafs got him last year!
Most likely fighting with Puljujarvi for 3rd, maybe on one teams board he could sneak to 2nd (thinking of teams who see Puljujarvi and Laine as close, but I doubt he'd go this high). Don't see anyteam taking Dubois or Tkachuk over him.

scan15*

May 11, 2016
GTA
If he was draft eligible this year instead of last, where would he be projected?

Thank God the leafs got him last year!

Laine vs Marner would be even more fun than Laine vs Matthews. Imagine how many times people would bring up the fact that Marner is ONLY 5'11. That being said, I still think Laine would win out, so I see Marner going 3rd this year. I think he will end up being a better and more important player than Laine though.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
:amazed:Guy is a burner ,leafs fans should be excited .Where do you guys see him fitting better as a winger or center??My guess would be wing ,but lets hear what some of you guys think

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
1st line winger or 2nd line center to Matthews...same as Nylander.

Leafs look like they have an embarrassment of riches right now.

Crispy Crust

Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
:amazed:Guy is a burner ,leafs fans should be excited .Where do you guys see him fitting better as a winger or center??My guess would be wing ,but lets hear what some of you guys think

Definitely a winger. They will probably run three separate scoring lines with Kadri, Nylander, and Matthews up the middle.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
1st line winger or 2nd line center to Matthews...same as Nylander.

Leafs look like they have an embarrassment of riches right now.

Difference being Nylander has had several seasons of pro experience at the pivot and has been developed as such. Marner is going to be a top tier playmaking winger.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
Difference being Nylander has had several seasons of pro experience at the pivot and has been developed as such. Marner is going to be a top tier playmaking winger.

Leafs developed Nylnder as a center the last couple years, he was a winger before that. Marner has been playing center this year as well. They could develop him as a center eventually.

Both could be viable back up plans to: Stamkos Matthews Kadri

Im not ruling anything out with this kid. The sky is the limit.

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007
The lucky thing for Marner; with Matthews coming this season, and Nylander having a strong AHL season, there really isn't pressure on him to come to Toronto and be anointed a saviour. He can just slide and just develop.

Mar 12, 2009
The lucky thing for Marner; with Matthews coming this season, and Nylander having a strong AHL season, there really isn't pressure on him to come to Toronto and be anointed a saviour. He can just slide and just develop.

That could work in the favor of all of the Leafs highly touted prospects coming into a solid role next year. Having the hype and media attention dispersed could be a positive.

I'm pretty sure he only got those awards because he's a Leafs prospect. Toronto hype-machine in full effect...

One could much more easily say that you are just saying that because he's a leaf prospect...for as much as there will be a hype machine, there will be the counter part in posters like you, who for some reason get bothered enough by fans being excited for their prospect, to actively try and detract from the player for whatever reason.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad