C/RW Mitch Marner - London Knights, OHL (2015, 4th, TOR) VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
Again he had an incredible season but there's no way this ranks anywhere close to one of the best all time.

It doesn't really sniff seasons players like Crosby, McDavid, Lemieux, Lafleur, Radulov, Locke, etc. Had. (Off the top of my head).

It's much closer to the Mantha/Drouin level of season. He wasn't that far ahead of his own teammates.

You've got to be kidding me. Marner's playoff PPG was more than a full point above Mantha's, at 2.63 vs 1.5-ish, and Mantha was a year older.

I mean if you want to look at the regular season, sure, but Marner's focus at the time was on the weight room and getting stronger, not meaningless games and trying to pad stats. So of course his regular season numbers weren't that great.

Lehkonen4Calder

Feb 24, 2015
This is only because London couldn't put two players names on the list if they could have mitch would have won most votes with devo coming in second.

Yes reputation is a big things, but if it was a real coin flip i guess London know better than you or me?

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
If points were the only intangible in the game of hockey, you might be right. How many of those guys were on their teams top pk unit? If you take home every prize that's available what relevance is there in point totals. Bottom line is Leblanc and Dvorak didn't have better seasons than mitch or are better players. At the end of the day Mitch took home every prize for top player, his season was as good as any before him.

Of course it still matters how they did if they both took home all the awards. The guy who won't MVP with 115pts one year probably isn't better than the guy who put up 150 the following season. Again Marner had an amazing year, but no amount of playing on the pk is really going to make up for a ~40pt difference.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Unless I am mistake, I think the poster said Marner's season should be in the conversation for the best season in the last three decades. That is not quite the same as claiming it was the best.

It would be a pretty short conversation then.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
Corey Locke once scored 151 points in junior.

Locke:
189 points in 89 games (2.12 ppg)
38 points in 23 playoff games (1.65 ppg)

vs.

Marner:
174 points in 79 games (2.20 ppg)
58 points in 22 playoff games (2.64 ppg)

So Marner's season was better by a long shot.

stewpac

Nov 30, 2015
Yes reputation is a big things, but if it was a real coin flip i guess London know better than you or me?

I have no clue what you're trying to say.

My only point is if there wasn't a rule where only one player from each team could receive votes marner would still win and Dvorak would probably have finished in second. The coin flip is completely irrelevant.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Because everyone would be dead from laughing at the Mantha comparison :laugh:

If you'd actually really read everything I've said, I've stated that Marner>>>Mantha, but their entire regular season/playoffs? Pretty comparable.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
If you'd actually really read everything I've said, I've stated that Marner>>>Mantha, but their entire regular season/playoffs? Pretty comparable.

:laugh:

They're not even remotely comparable, Mantha's combined regular season/playoff PPG wasn't even 2.0, while Marner was well above that. And that's with Marner sandbagging in the regular season while Mantha was padding his stats as a 19 year old.

Stop coming into Leafs threads to try and pump failed Red Wings prospects. It was bad enough when the Nylander thread got derailed for a month with stupid Nyquist / Pulkkinen / Jurco comparisons.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009

They're not even remotely comparable, Mantha's combined regular season/playoff PPG wasn't even 2.0, while Marner was well above that. And that's with Marner sandbagging in the regular season while Mantha was padding his stats as a 19 year old.

Stop coming into Leafs threads to try and pump failed Red Wings prospects. It was bad enough when the Nylander thread got derailed for a month with stupid Nyquist / Pulkkinen / Jurco comparisons.

1. Regular season still does matter, and Mantha had a better PPG while also going GPG

2. Mantha also went GPG in the playoffs, he's a goal scorer who's point totals will never be as high as a playmaker

3. Age is completely irrelevant when we are talking about best seasons ever, not as prospects

4. You have proof Mantha was simply looking to pad stats and wasn't focusing on off ice performance? Really doubt the Wings told him to ignore that

5. For the 3rd time, Marner>>>>Mantha as an NHL prospect. Marner>= to Mantha's season.

Use Drouin as another comparable then if you don't like Mantha.

Lehkonen4Calder

Feb 24, 2015
I have no clue what you're trying to say.

My only point is if there wasn't a rule where only one player from each team could receive votes marner would still win and Dvorak would probably have finished in second. The coin flip is completely irrelevant.

If they have an equal good season who would have won, the recent top 4 picks or the second rounder in 2014?

Lehkonen4Calder

Feb 24, 2015

Where does 149 point in 62 games Drouin ranks ?

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
If they have an equal good season who would have won, the recent top 4 picks or the second rounder in 2014?

The guy who was the main focal point of the offense... which is Marner.

Dvorak was amazing this year as well, Marner was a little better.

Lehkonen4Calder

Feb 24, 2015
The guy who was the main focal point of the offense... which is Marner.

Dvorak was amazing this year as well, Marner was a little better.

Yes he was the best offensive player on that line but can you name me someone that carried a line but got outscored by his linemate?

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Better than Laine? C'mon. Seriously?

Marner will be great but Laine is the best goal scoring prospect I can remember.

Both prospects are Franchise changers.

Can't go wrong with either one, wouldn't surprise at all if one becomes better than the other.

Marner is used to the NA game/ice so he has that advantage. I am curious to see how they both adjust at the NHL level but I see Marner as a player that gives you a lot more(intangibles wise).

stewpac

Nov 30, 2015

There seasons weren't equal, I mean if all your going off of is the ohl website I can see why you think that but as a knight fan that follows them every season be it live or on my local London channel, I can tell you Marner was the best player in 90% of their games. Now if you disagree tell me which games he wasn't and I'll check them out, I still have most on my PVR.

BWDude

Nov 13, 2015
Yes he was the best offensive player on that line but can you name me someone that carried a line but got outscored by his linemate?

Sorry didn't want to interlude this fascinating convo but WHC this year. Barkov and Laine. If you watched Barkov drove that line. Just what instantly came to mind.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
Where does 149 point in 62 games Drouin ranks ?

Drouin ranks right up there with Marner. However it's worth noting he did not win the MCup that season. He won the MCup the previous year with 149/70, and MacKinnon won the MVP. Marner winning everything in one year including MVP of everything makes his season a little better.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco

Marner did not get outscored by his linemate. In the games where they played together, on the same line, Marner had more points.

Marner also had more total points over the year in fewer games.

buttman*

Not sure why everyone is feeding the trolls. Marner won OHL MVP, PLayoff MVP, CHL MVP, Memorial Cup MVP and the OHL Championship and Memorial Cup. I don't care how many points he got -- that speaks volumes.

No he isn't Gretzky or Lemieux but he is one damn fine prospect.

Shwaguy*

Better than Laine? C'mon. Seriously?

Marner will be great but Laine is the best goal scoring prospect I can remember.

Doesn't mean Marner isn't/can't be better.

Also you have a very short memory.

The production and accolades don't lie. I understand most will prefer Laine but it's not unreasonable to prefer Marner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA