C/RW Mitch Marner - London Knights, OHL (2015, 4th, TOR) VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

Not surprised but still a great accomplishment worth acknowledging (even if some of the aspects on how it is chosen are a bit of a joke). Can't wait to see what he can do the rest of this year, and then training camp.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
I can't tell which posts are serious and which ones are sarcasm anymore.

The hype seems a bit much. He's going to be good, but comparing him to some big names in the past threads is a lot to live up to.

Neutral Hockey Fan

Sep 24, 2010
OHL 's most outstanding player...probably the most obvious choice in a long time.

Kid is pretty clearly on a level well beyond any other CHL player

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I see Marner just on a whole different level from a playmaking point of view, and defensive awareness. Massive differentiators imo..
Very different players. Eberle is more of a vulture with good ability to get the puck in close. Outside of size I don't really see the comparison. Marner would be closer to RNH if we are talking about Oilers players, although I don't think they are that similar. Marner si in the Kane/Gaudreau mould. Doesn't have Kane's shot or elite speed, but is a more committed 2-way player, at least at the same stage of development. A winger version of Giroux might be a better comparable.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Very different players. Eberle is more of a vulture with good ability to get the puck in close. Outside of size I don't really see the comparison. Marner would be closer to RNH if we are talking about Oilers players, although I don't think they are that similar. Marner si in the Kane/Gaudreau mould. Doesn't have Kane's shot or elite speed, but is a more committed 2-way player, at least at the same stage of development. A winger version of Giroux might be a better comparable.

Agreed I could see a a winger Giroux stylistically. I obviously disagreed with the Eberle comp as a whole.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
OHL 's most outstanding player...probably the most obvious choice in a long time.

Kid is pretty clearly on a level well beyond any other CHL player

Except the award is for the regular season where he clearly was not on a level beyond any other CHL player. Heck he was rivaled for best player on his team.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Except the award is for the regular season where he clearly was not on a level beyond any other CHL player. Heck he was rivaled for best player on his team.
He's a pretty serious contender. The only real challengers are potentially Perron, Garland, Strome (not nominated for the OHL player of the year), Dvorak (Not nominated for OHL player of the year) and Provorov. I think he should be the front runner for CHL player of the year, what he's done this year is beyond impressive, and I think most would acknowledge he was the best player in the OHL this year.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
93 Leafs, I agree with you. Absolutely Marner is deserving of the OHL player of the year award. Likely the front runner for CHL player of the year, too. If the playoff run was/is part of the voting he will win hands down (this stretch in the playoffs is pretty amazing).

My response was to the statement that he was "clearly on a level well beyond any CHL player", which any reasonable fan should view as an outlandish, over the top statement.

Yes, he is a dominant junior player and one of the best prospects in the world. He is not the ONLY top junior player or prospect.

** of course I could have missed the sarcasm (again) and got sucked into this debate (again) and for that I apologize.

Last edited:

Bernier the Boats

Formerly BBurke
Aug 31, 2011
So stupid that the Leafs snag Nylander/Marner/Matthews in 3 consecutive drafts. Next year's 3 Calder finalists.

Backhandshelf81

Jun 14, 2013
Does anyone see Drouin as a good comparable for Marner, style-wise?

Slick playmakers with excellent vision, puck-handling and stickhandling. Neither possess great straightaway speed but both have good edgework and agility. They both seem to have an edge and feistiness to their game as well.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
So stupid that the Leafs snag Nylander/Marner/Matthews in 3 consecutive drafts. Next year's 3 Calder finalists.

possible but unlikely....guys like Laine, Vesey, Rantanen, Connor, Provorov, Strome etc likely make legit plays for ROTY as well.l (If I didnt name your golden rookie no offence intended, just wanted to illustrate that there are tons of possible options in what should be a strong year)

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Does anyone see Drouin as a good comparable for Marner, style-wise?

Slick playmakers with excellent vision, puck-handling and stickhandling. Neither possess great straightaway speed but both have good edgework and agility. They both seem to have an edge and feistiness to their game as well.
Its fair, I think Marner is the better prospect, but they have similar traits. I'd say Marner has a more committed two-way game.

snizzbone*

possible but unlikely....guys like Laine, Vesey, Rantanen, Connor, Provorov, Strome etc likely make legit plays for ROTY as well.l (If I didnt name your golden rookie no offence intended, just wanted to illustrate that there are tons of possible options in what should be a strong year)

not to mention Zaitsev haha. So many rookies on the Leafs.

stavs*

Oct 11, 2010
Toronto

can't believe you missed our future golden boy Matthews:rant:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad