C Quinton Byfield - Sudbury Wolves, OHL (2020 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
That's not what I said. I said he's a very smart player with good vision, creativity, and puck skills. I said that in my viewings he seemed to be playing it safe and didn't take enough risks, thus not dominating in away he could have.
Oh, sorry, my comment wasn’t aimed at you. You have far more than sufficiently demonstrated yourself a reliable poster.

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
For me, it’s how poorly he’s played in any games where the competition level is higher. Poor showing at the Hlinka, WJC, TPG...

Obviously the skill level is incredibly high with him, but I would definitely be concerned with how average he looks when he’s playing against players just as good/better than him.

As I said earlier I haven’t seen a breakdown, but is he just dominating weak competition/teams in the OHL who can’t handle his speed/size?

Sudbury isn't a particularly strong team.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
For me, it’s how poorly he’s played in any games where the competition level is higher. Poor showing at the Hlinka, WJC, TPG...

Obviously the skill level is incredibly high with him, but I would definitely be concerned with how average he looks when he’s playing against players just as good/better than him.

As I said earlier I haven’t seen a breakdown, but is he just dominating weak competition/teams in the OHL who can’t handle his speed/size?
I wouldn’t be. He was good at the Hlinka, making a bunch of ridiculous passes and hitting several posts, just overshadowed by Perfetti and Lapierre who were playing out of their minds and had everything going right for them. It’s annoying, because if a couple pucks had bounced in instead of out, or if he got a couple more secondary PP assists, his tournament would be remembered completely differently.

Same deal at the WJC. He hit two posts and had several great playmaking moments there in minimal minutes, too, and his backchecking was incredible. He wasn’t great, no one can make that argument, but no one should have been expecting him to be. Just making the team at that age is awesome. If he picks up a couple meaningless points against Slovakia or whoever, we’re not having this conversation.

Then the TPG. One game where I and everyone else would have liked to have seen more, but the idea being pushed on here that he looked bad doesn’t line up with the fact that every TPG sportswriter breakdown noted a strong overall performance from him. I thought he looked better than someone like Drysdale - who I also love - and you’re not seeing any commentary on the latter.

But this whole conversation is beside the point. Byfield has had an outstanding season. Look at Sudbury’s record with and without him and how their offense completely dried up when he was at the WJC. He is that team, dominating the OHL as one of the youngest players in the draft class. Speed and size? Sure, but why does that count against him? They’re both at the level that they’ll still be a dominant combination at the NHL level. Look at his frame and remember he is 17 and a half; I expect he will add even more speed before ending up around 235 pounds, in a league where each year the average player is a little lighter as the game angles towards finesse. Then couple that with the highlight reel he’s put up this season showing off his crazy hands and vision, and it’s pretty clear he’s closer to 1 than 3.

The one criticism I agree with is @ConnorMcMullet on how he could be a lot more aggressive and meaner out there. But if he had that, we’d be looking at the clear second coming of Lindros and having zero doubt of who would be first pick. It is for that reason why I still have Lafreniere as the clear favourite.

Last edited:
Reactions: wetcoast and d rake

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I wouldn’t be. He was good at the Hlinka, making a bunch of ridiculous passes and hitting several posts, just overshadowed by Perfetti and Lapierre who were playing out of their minds and had everything going right for them. It’s annoying, because if a couple pucks had bounced in instead of out, or if he got a couple more secondary PP assists, his tournament would be remembered completely differently.

Same deal at the WJC. He hit two posts and had several great playmaking moments there in minimal minutes, too, and his backchecking was incredible. He wasn’t great, no one can make that argument, but no one should have been expecting him to be. Just making the team at that age is awesome. If he picks up a couple meaningless points against Slovakia or whoever, we’re not having this conversation.

Then the TPG. One game where I and everyone else would have liked to have seen more, but the idea being pushed on here that he looked bad doesn’t line up with the fact that every TPG sportswriter breakdown noted a strong overall performance from him. I thought he looked better than someone like Drysdale - who I also love - and you’re not seeing any commentary on the latter.

But this whole conversation is beside the point. Byfield has had an outstanding season. Look at Sudbury’s record with and without him and how their offense completely dried up when he was at the WJC. He is that team, dominating the OHL as one of the youngest players in the draft class. Speed and size? Sure, but why does that count against him? They’re both at the level that they’ll still be a dominant combination at the NHL level. Look at his frame and remember he is 17 and a half; I expect he will add even more speed before ending up around 235 pounds, in a league where each year the average player is a little lighter as the game angles towards finesse. Then couple that with the highlight reel he’s put up this season showing off his crazy hands and vision, and it’s pretty clear he’s closer to 1 than 3.

The one criticism I agree with is @ConnorMcMullet on how he could be a lot more aggressive and meaner out there. But if he had that, we’d be looking at the clear second coming of Lindros and having zero doubt of who would be first pick.

Between the Hlinka, The WJC, TPG, Super Series and even the U17 last season you’re looking at an 18 game sample against his top peers and he hasn’t stood out in a single one and has been disappointing in some. For a guy some are pushing to be the 1st overall pick, he hasn’t been the best of even one of the best in really any of these events.

Of course his dominating season in the OHL speaks volumes, but it really can’t be ignored that he hasn’t impressed in a daily large sample of the best- best.

The size thing worries me because it’s looking like he uses his size and speed to dominate weaker players who can’t/don’t know how to handle it, but is neutralized against better players who have the skill to stop him.

Obviously he’s still an incredible talent and will likely be an impact player in the NHL, but it’s not a guarantee he goes 2nd IMO, and is a level below Lafreniere who’s become the obvious #1 choice.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Sudbury isn't a particularly strong team.

I never said they were. I’m saying is he getting the vast majority of his points against younger/weaker teams in the OHL that may not have skill to stop him? I’m not saying that’s the case, I’m wondering if anyone has taken the time/wants to take the time to do the breakdown?

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Between the Hlinka, The WJC, TPG, Super Series and even the U17 last season you’re looking at an 18 game sample against his top peers and he hasn’t stood out in a single one and has been disappointing in some. For a guy some are pushing to be the 1st overall pick, he hasn’t been the best of even one of the best in really any of these events.

Of course his dominating season in the OHL speaks volumes, but it really can’t be ignored that he hasn’t impressed in a daily large sample of the best- best.

The size thing worries me because it’s looking like he uses his size and speed to dominate weaker players who can’t/don’t know how to handle it, but is neutralized against better players who have the skill to stop him.

Obviously he’s still an incredible talent and will likely be an impact player in the NHL, but it’s not a guarantee he goes 2nd IMO, and is a level below Lafreniere who’s become the obvious #1 choice.
Fortunately, I can ease those worries. As I mentioned earlier either in this thread or another ranking, my biggest complaint with Byfield this season is that he isn’t using his size close to its potential. He’s putting up his numbers with speed, vision, and puck skills. If he fully engaged his shooting and physicality, I wouldn’t feel comfortable putting a cap on his offensive production.

SympathyForTheDevils

Feb 22, 2010
Quebec City
I don't get the "dominating with size" argument. First, because, as mentioned above, Byfield doesn't seem that physical. Second, because with his 6'4 frame, Byfield's size will still be an advantage at the NHL level.

The real concern for me is for players that are the opposite of Byfield: average- or below-average-sized players who have success in juniors through a very physical, hard-nosed style of play. Often, they wind up struggling to be effective at the NHL level.

With Byfield, I'm more concerned about his decision-making and his play under pressure, which are not negligible concerns. But his size and speed will always be significant assets at the pro level, which makes him a very high floor prospect.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I don't get the "dominating with size" argument. First, because, as mentioned above, Byfield doesn't seem that physical. Second, because with his 6'4 frame, Byfield's size will still be an advantage at the NHL level.

The real concern for me is for players that are the opposite of Byfield: average- or below-average-sized players who have success in juniors through a very physical, hard-nosed style of play. Often, they wind up struggling to be effective at the NHL level.

With Byfield, I'm more concerned about his decision-making and his play under pressure, which are not negligible concerns. But his size and speed will always be significant assets at the pro level, which makes him a very high floor prospect.

The problem with big players at times is that they only learn to be effective by using that size. I’m not talking about physical play, I’m talking about protecting the puck, cycling, driving to the net with speed etc. These things can be easy to do when you’re his size against a below average 17 year old, but better hockey players know how to defend against that better.

It’s always an advantage, but it can mask other holes in a players game that keep him from being truly elite.
You are right that he’s basically guaranteed to be an NHL player in some capacity though. Remains to be seen if that’s a 3rd line player or an elite player.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
He also looked invisible vs the Knights last night. Let's see what he does vs Sarnia today.

Didn't he have that prospect thing the last couple days? I can't imagine he got into London with too much notice, 4 games in 4 days for him.

Reactions: d rake

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Didn't he have that prospect thing the last couple days? I can't imagine he got into London with too much notice, 4 games in 4 days for him.
It’s an hour drive and it was his 2nd game in 2 days. Most guys are used to the 3 in 3 given the OHL schedule.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
It’s an hour drive and it was his 2nd game in 2 days. Most guys are used to the 3 in 3 given the OHL schedule.

No no, he played 2 as part of the prospects thing this week, Wednesday and Thursday and then had to go to London after to play.

In other news, he played great today.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I've only seen a few. Most of my viewings are of him playing in other games/tournaments like the Hlinka, WJC, and Top Prospects Game.

The fact that he plays better in the OHL than on the bigger stage might support the confidence theory. He's likely more comfortable playing on the Wolves than on another team and is more likely to take risks rather than playing it safe.

i see. But when in the international stage was he deployed as a bottom 6 role player? Canada will often utilize highly skilled players in those roles. What is probably a tip 4 forward on any other nation might be a bottom line with team Canada guy you know what I mean ?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
No no, he played 2 as part of the prospects thing this week, Wednesday and Thursday and then had to go to London after to play.

In other news, he played great today.
No he didn’t. There was one day of prospect games. They did skating athletic drill which is no more intensive than practice.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Like I said, things said about Laine and Matthew's....like word for word. People like to just make the assumption that because a player is younger and more raw that they have a higher ceiling then the older more polished prospect....expect that recent history has shown that is not always the case. Age really should not be a factor when you are picking this high in the draft honestly. If you think player A is better then player B but player A is 9 months older....you take player A every single time.

Teams don't take the better player now but project for both then take which player projects to be the better player in the long run.

I expect Lafreniere to go #1 overall but the team picking Byfield 2nd may end up with just as good a player overall in the long run.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

People are really making a big deal out of nothing with the Hlinka.

Do people actually know that Byfield was 3rd in points and 3rd in goals for canada at the Hlinka last year?

Sure Perfetti and Lapierre had monster Hlinkas but Byfield is outperforming both quite easily in league play.

Reactions: Dominance

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Teams don't take the better player now but project for both then take which player projects to be the better player in the long run.

I expect Lafreniere to go #1 overall but the team picking Byfield 2nd may end up with just as good a player overall in the long run.
Right I am not arguing that though. I am saying I disagree with people saying Byfield has more potential then Lafreniere literally just because of his age. That is what I don't agree with.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
The problem with big players at times is that they only learn to be effective by using that size. I’m not talking about physical play, I’m talking about protecting the puck, cycling, driving to the net with speed etc. These things can be easy to do when you’re his size against a below average 17 year old, but better hockey players know how to defend against that better.

It’s always an advantage, but it can mask other holes in a players game that keep him from being truly elite.
You are right that he’s basically guaranteed to be an NHL player in some capacity though. Remains to be seen if that’s a 3rd line player or an elite player.

Do you seriously think that Byfield ceiling could only be as a 3rd line player?

That's just absurd.

I mean anything can happen but that an outlandish statement based on his skillset and performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad