C Quinton Byfield - Sudbury Wolves, OHL (2020 Draft) II

Status
Not open for further replies.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
He's an assistant coach, how many assistant coaches make that call? Additionally, he's giving an interview to German media about a fellow country mate, is he going to say anything otherwise? In the same interview he also says that Leon Draisaitl is the best player in the world (which I guess he can make a case for).

I'm not sure why his interview is causing so much consternation.

If you think LA is picking Byfield, fine, I don't care.

Go nuts.

You asked where I heard it and I provided the reference. I didn't say that it was absolute concrete proof that LA was picking Stutzle.

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
Well, I'm sorry Marco Sturm couldn't be more forthcoming and entertaining for you.

I'll drop him a line and tell him to provide more information next time.

Apology noted. Acceptance is pending.

While you're at it, tell him the powerplay still sucks.

jfont

Feb 27, 2002
Los Angeles

Go nuts.

You asked where I heard it and I provided the reference. I didn't say that it was absolute concrete proof that LA was picking Stutzle.
I don't think there's any consternation from Kings fans.

YOU brought up the Sturm interview and Kings fans are just saying there is not much to it.

Either way, Kings will get a very good player. Though the fans clearly are leaning Byfield.

And I'm sure no pressure to Sens fans cause they're getting a great player at 3. On the other hand, if the fans here really want a big no 1 center, then I can see some ... consternation.

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
I'm not gonna read the last like 5 pages of this thread but it's worth noting that although Byfield's hockey IQ isn't phenomenal(I'd say it's solidly "above average to good"), he's a smarter hockey player than Mackinnon as a prospect and he figured it out after a few years in the NHL.

Hell, i'd say in general look to a guy like Mackinnon if you wanna be optimistic about Byfield's star potential. Physical tools, outstanding skillset, good competitive kids.

Last edited:

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010

Go nuts.

I think it's because you're misreading a video

AnThGrt

Feb 13, 2005
Park City, UT
There's really only you misreading a puff piece
He conveniently ignores the same day article posted making the case for LA to select Byfield. Stutzle piece truly did read as a puff piece in comparison. If looking at both of those (aka being genuine and not cherry picking) I would think Stutzle isn't even close or a possibility in comparison.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Brutal take.

Scouting and development of prospects is the only thing the Sens organization is good at.

Awful, awful take.

Sheesh people snapped, terrible was probably a strong word as I admit Ottawa has a good farm team. Just saying , I'm hoping for Byfield to succeed for sure I just hope the Sens wouldn't rush him based on size like was done with Cowen , Pulju and many others. He needs at least one if not two seasons to be safe . A real boom or bust prospect who needs to be handled carefully.

simonedvinsson

May 26, 2020
Just saying , I'm hoping for Byfield to succeed for sure I just hope the Sens wouldn't rush him based on size like was done with Cowen , Pulju and many others. He needs at least one if not two seasons to be safe . A real boom or bust prospect who needs to be handled carefully.
I share similar concerns about Ottawa rushing him (as well as LA), which is why they should pass on Byfield and let the Red Wings draft him at four.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Sheesh people snapped, terrible was probably a strong word as I admit Ottawa has a good farm team. Just saying , I'm hoping for Byfield to succeed for sure I just hope the Sens wouldn't rush him based on size like was done with Cowen , Pulju and many others. He needs at least one if not two seasons to be safe . A real boom or bust prospect who needs to be handled carefully.

Yikes. Cowen finished his junior career. The sens rushed who? Puljujarvi? Pardon. It’s pretty rare for a player to be have a full time spot before their D+3 year in Ottawa. Look how they brought along the past crop in Stone, Pageau, Hoffman, etc. And look at how they are Bringing along the current in Batherson, Brown, Norris etc. There’s literally no rushing.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Yikes. Cowen finished his junior career. The sens rushed who? Puljujarvi? Pardon. It’s pretty rare for a player to be have a full time spot before their D+3 year in Ottawa. Look how they brought along the past crop in Stone, Pageau, Hoffman, etc. And look at how they are Bringing along the current in Batherson, Brown, Norris etc. There’s literally no rushing.

The only guy I can think of, from an Ottawa perspective, is Curtis Lazar, the organizational poster boy for having a rushed development.

At the same time, I think he was pretty much a finished product in terms of his skillset and frame (wasn't he a "quick NHL transition" prospect) so I'm not sure how much better he would have ended up with more seasoning.

You could probably also make a pretty solid argument for Alexandre Daigle but expansion teams are a whole different business.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Daigle also posted what, 51 points (20 goals) as an 18-year-old rookie on an all-time bad team. He was so far ahead of the rest of his draft class, there was no point in sending him back to Victoriaville in 1993-94.

I remember watching Daigle in the CHL all-star game at the Montreal Forum (those days, the hosts would play against the other two leagues in the all-star game), I guess it was 1993 (his draft year). There were a bunch of draft-eligibles playing and a lot of already-drafted players in the game. Daigle was easily the best player, it wasn't even close.

The fact that he busted is one of the all-time shockers for me in NHL history. His talent was almost at an Alex Kovalev level.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
Daigle also posted what, 51 points (20 goals) as an 18-year-old rookie on an all-time bad team. He was so far ahead of the rest of his draft class, there was no point in sending him back to Victoriaville in 1993-94.

I remember watching Daigle in the CHL all-star game at the Montreal Forum (those days, the hosts would play against the other two leagues in the all-star game), I guess it was 1993 (his draft year). There were a bunch of draft-eligibles playing and a lot of already-drafted players in the game. Daigle was easily the best player, it wasn't even close.

The fact that he busted is one of the all-time shockers for me in NHL history. His talent was almost at an Alex Kovalev level.

Daigle busting was more about attitude/effort level than talent.

Daigle was overhyped at the time, but if he actually put forth the effort to train, watch video, and worked on the weakpoints of his game he could have been a 60-80 point winger. Instead he half assed it, tried the same move that worked for him in junior all the time even when NHL defensemen caught on, and seemed more interested in being a movie star and celebrity than becoming a better hockey player. He even went on record to state that he didn't really love playing and wanted to do something else in life.

Reactions: Telos

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Daigle busting was more about attitude/effort level than talent.

Daigle was overhyped at the time, but if he actually put forth the effort to train, watch video, and worked on the weakpoints of his game he could have been a 60-80 point winger. Instead he half assed it, tried the same move that worked for him in junior all the time even when NHL defensemen caught on, and seemed more interested in being a movie star and celebrity than becoming a better hockey player. He even went on record to state that he didn't really love playing and wanted to do something else in life.

He also got paid a ridiculous amount by the Senators and his endorsements, and thanks to him and Ottawa, the league introduced entry-level contracts that limited how much rookies could earn. It was one of the stumbling blocks with the lockout in 1994.

I don't know if Daigle was rushed, but he was definitely was an immature brat. Like when he made a joke about having a bomb in his bag at an airport in Pittsburgh.
Senators' Player Cited For Bomb Joke On Airplane

Boxscore

Jan 22, 2007
If Byfield were to fall to the Sens--a Byfield-Tkachuk duo would be a nightmare for opponents.

Reactions: Jtown
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad