C Noah Östlund - Djurgardens IF J20, J20 Nationell (2022, 16th, BUF)

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
D+1 (year after being drafted). Pettersson (if you mean Elias) played SHL and not HockeyAllsvenskan (Östlund's league) during D+1.
Roger.

Having said that, half a year younger Pettersson is probably a better comparison than some undrafted D who played in Allsvenskan 20 years ago :laugh:

Anyway, the point is all evidence points toward him scoring around PPG being the expected norm.

Reactions: brakeyawself

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
8 points in 6 games since returning from the World Juniors.

Within just a few seasons, Sabres have managed to build one of the deepest stables in all of hockey. It's crazy how their prospects keep seeming to blow up. Quinn and Peterka last year, and I guess Thompson all though, he was an acquisition. Dahlin finally this year. And now Rosen, Ostlund, Savoie. Can't forget about Levi. Wouldn't sleep on Kulich either, who's looking decent in the A for a kid. He and Rosen seem about on par in terms of how they are performing at Rochester. I'd say both about a year or two away still. And it's likely only a matter of time before Power blows up.

If these kids keep progressing as they are, I'm not sure who is going to be able to defeat the Sabres.

But Ostlund really looks legit. He's going to have to compete with Thompson and Cozens. Not going to be an easy task the way they have developed. Savoie has no chance of playing center with this team lol. But then we knew he'd probably end up a winger anyway. I suspect he will eventually replace Skinner. But at 5'9, he's likely destined for the wing at the NHL level.

Of course, I say that knowing this franchise often finds ways to implode. So there's that.

Last edited:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Looking for info on why he wasn't in the first playoff game against BIK Karlskoga? Haven't seen anything new, just that he'd been playing with the fishbowl on after getting a jaw injury.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Sounds like he is off to Skellefteå for 23/24? With Öhgren and Linbom to Färjestad? Also assuming they don't make the NHL as Östlund and Öhgren are both under contract in the NHL.
Avslöjar: Liam Öhgrens val i SHL – är överens med Färjestad

Correct me if I'm wrong but MoDo won the promotion finals vs Djurgården so these moves look like "a go" with Lekkerimäki and Odelius also likely being transferred to SHL clubs? FWIW - very cool to see MoDo back in the top flight!

Hockeyfrilla

Swe prospect fanatic
May 25, 2008
Sweden
Sounds like he is off to Skellefteå for 23/24? With Öhgren and Linbom to Färjestad? Also assuming they don't make the NHL as Östlund and Öhgren are both under contract in the NHL.
Avslöjar: Liam Öhgrens val i SHL – är överens med Färjestad

Correct me if I'm wrong but MoDo won the promotion finals vs Djurgården so these moves look like "a go" with Lekkerimäki and Odelius also likely being transferred to SHL clubs? FWIW - very cool to see MoDo back in the top flight!

Correct, Modo got promoted and Djurgården's young talents are likely to sign with SHL-teams. Haven't heard and rumors about Lekkerimäki and Odelius yet tho.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Kinda disappointed with his playoffs especially with the deep run that Djurgarden had.

12 games- 5 pts.

Compare that with the other Djurgarden top prospects:

Lekkerrimaki- 15games- 15 pts
Ohgren - 17 games- 15 pts

Ostlund seemed to have been relegated to 4th line duties at times with the games i watched.

Super skilled player that lacked the intensity and compete level based on my viewings.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Kinda disappointed with his playoffs especially with the deep run that Djurgarden had.

12 games- 5 pts.

Ostlund seemed to have been relegated to 4th line duties at times with the games i watched.

Super skilled player that lacked the intensity and compete level based on my viewings.
But he was the most productive in the regular season.

I tend to agree though. For me at this point I am by far the most bullish on Ohgren at the NHL level. I still question Ostlund's role in the NHL. For all his skills and smarts. Somebody mentioned Kerfoot earlier in this thread and while that seems like a totally derogatory comment because we all want our prospects to project as something amazing - I kind of get it from a "play style at the next level" comp. Good IQ, playmaking, and two-way aptitude but muffin shot and a very "lightweight" play style (and more easily utilized at wing than center) - even if adds a few pounds. I think Ostlund is a different level of skater so that may serve him well to end up at a different level but when Ostlund's margin of ability to think and be more agile than everyone starts to shrink at the highest level - I have some concern physically that he's not going to be able to stand out.

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com

12 games- 5 pts.

Hmm feels like I should chime in and provide a bit of context: I watched them in the regular season and playoffs here and there because I really like that trio and for Ostlund he got injured near the end of the season, came back with a cage, and lost the cage some games into the playoffs and then got injured again, missed a few games, came back and was immediately put on the 4th line (I guess they were winning so they didn't want to break up the lines). So looking at the stats at face value won't say much. When they had about 8 or 9 games played in the playoffs, they were all neck and neck production wise and when he got injured, some high scoring games happened and that's pretty much where Lekkerimaki shone and took his game to the next level.

Individually, I think you need to judge Lekkerimaki for his improvements as the season went along (I think he dealt with an illness at the beginning of the season), Ostlund for his strong regular season (hard to come back from 2 injuries), his improvements to his shot and great defensive involvement, and Ohgren for the overall strong and consistent season (he didn't get injured iirc).

I think they'll do very well in the SHL.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Hmm feels like I should chime in and provide a bit of context: I watched them in the regular season and playoffs here and there because I really like that trio and for Ostlund he got injured near the end of the season, came back with a cage, and lost the cage some games into the playoffs and then got injured again, missed a few games, came back and was immediately put on the 4th line (I guess they were winning so they didn't want to break up the lines). So looking at the stats at face value won't say much. When they had about 8 or 9 games played in the playoffs, they were all neck and neck production wise and when he got injured, some high scoring games happened and that's pretty much where Lekkerimaki shone and took his game to the next level.

Individually, I think you need to judge Lekkerimaki for his improvements as the season went along (I think he dealt with an illness at the beginning of the season), Ostlund for his strong regular season (hard to come back from 2 injuries), his improvements to his shot and great defensive involvement, and Ohgren for the overall strong and consistent season (he didn't get injured iirc).

Yeah Lekkeriamki mentioned he was 100% still dealing with mono effects during the season, then he broke his foot.

Will be interesting to follow them next year in the SHL.

Reactions: Realgud

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN

I think Ohgren might've missed a couple of weeks there early in 2023? Forgotten if it was illness, or an injury.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden

Östlund also played injured for a good stretch of the playoffs, which is why he went to the 4th line.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
In NA to practice with Rochester, sounds like games is not completely out of the picture neither

Thanks for the info. I'm curious if he gets game action as they've been thin at center but I'm not sure they put him in for Saturday's elimination game as his debut.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad