C Nico Hischier - Halifax Mooseheads, QMJHL (2017 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Zetterberg has nowhere near the speed of Hischier and I have no idea why people throw that out all the time.

I'm ass at comparables though so I don't know who fits the bill better. Does it really matter?

Last edited:

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
Pavel Bure.

Saying this will make people expect him to be the most exciting player to watch in the league. They will expect end to end rushes and displays of unmatched strength and speed.

Hischier does not play like Bure. I don't see why people take exception to it either. Saying he is not as exciting is like saying a player does not have Gretzky's vision or Ovi's shot. He just isn't that "bring you out of your seats star".

Bure is up there with maybe 2 or 3 players all time like Rocket Richard for how he scored goals. Today the only player nearly as electric is McDavid and he doesn't have the strength Richard or Bure had even.

I hate that comparison so much.

Spade

Resident Tool
Mar 12, 2014
Digging a Hole
Which current or former NHLers would you compare him to?

Patrik Elias in his prime is pretty good IMO. Elite skater, not so much a fancy dangler as he is a smart efficient offense generator.

Elias in his prime was one of the best players in the league though, and if Hischier comes close to that then someone is getting a cornerstone player.

Ynnek

Oct 24, 2011
New Brunswick
5 points, not ever halfway through the game. Halifax is beating Moncton down.

First time seeing him play as I don't usually watch the wildcats. Moncton was terrible which was expected. He looked pretty good and has a nice shot. I was expecting a flashier dangle type player based on stats but he just kind of gets things done. He missed probably half of the second period and I didn't notice him too much when he came back but given the score at the time I can understand.

JA

Some say Zetterberg and that may be the closest. He isn't Bure like some are trying to push down our throats, nowhere near the wow factor more a a subtle skillset most of the time but still extremely skilled.
Zetterberg has nowhere near the speed of Hischier and I have no idea why people throw that out all the time.

I'm ass at comparables though so I don't know who fits the bill better. Does it really matter?

Saying this will make people expect him to be the most exciting player to watch in the league. They will expect end to end rushes and displays of unmatched strength and speed.

Hischier does not play like Bure. I don't see why people take exception to it either. Saying he is not as exciting is like saying a player does not have Gretzky's vision or Ovi's shot. He just isn't that "bring you out of your seats star".

Bure is up there with maybe 2 or 3 players all time like Rocket Richard for how he scored goals. Today the only player nearly as electric is McDavid and he doesn't have the strength Richard or Bure had even.

I hate that comparison so much.
Many of Hischier's tendencies are quite like Bure's, and his qualities as a skater are similar -- Hischier will build strength, although he has balance already. Both are fearless, tenacious, driven players. He regularly plays in heavy traffic and takes the puck into traffic. He is unafraid to take the puck to the net.

I think you misunderstand Bure's game if you don't think he was a similar player, especially as there was more to his game than rushing the puck up the ice -- a skill that Hischier is capable of. He as a phenomenal east-west player and was powerful, explosive, and agile along the boards. He did not play a full-throttle game all that time, if that is the preconceived notion that you have about him. His game was equally as patient, and he used change of speed brilliantly. He was an excellent zone entry player, something that Hischier is as well; both could maneuver through traffic to weave into a small space in the opposition's defensive coverage.

I have compare Bure to Patrick Kane due to the similarities of their east-west games and their zone entries, although Hischier is now the closest example to Bure of any current player. He fits that profile much more completely.

Is Hischier an exciting player to watch? Absolutely. He is extremely quick, agile, explosive, and generates offense with his smarts, his courage, and his skates. He is a very dynamic, creative player.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/sports/1416562-mooseheads%E2%80%99-hischier-magical-%E2%80%98worth-the-price-of-admission%E2%80%99
Mooseheads’ Hischier magical, ‘worth the price of admission’
JOHN MacNEIL SPORTS REPORTER
Published November 17, 2016 - 7:46pm
Last Updated November 18, 2016 - 2:56pm

NHL Central Scouting director Dan Marr was so emphatic in his evaluation of Halifax Mooseheads wunderkind Nico Hischier that the veteran scout turned to the lingo of the young junior hockey players he was grading.

“It’s not often I use the word impressive, but this weekend he was awesome,” Marr said with a chuckle Saturday after watching Hischier’s hat-trick performance cap his nine-point weekend.

“There’s very few players that you go around and say, ‘This guy is worth the price of admission.’ And he’s one.”

“But he hit the ground running and he hasn’t stopped. There’s points in every game, two or three times, where it’s ridiculous. Like the goal (Saturday against Charlottetown), where he flipped to the middle, cut in and found a way to put it in. It’s the game-winner and it also has everybody on the bench thinking, like, ‘What in the world is he doing?’

“It’s something you see in a bantam or a midget game, and you don’t get to see that in a (tighter-checking) major junior game. Yet he’s pulling it out of his hat. Every game, there’s more than a handful of scouts watching him.”

Part of Hischier’s appeal is the moxie he mixes with his undeniable talent. An errant stick to the face didn’t slow his stride Saturday. It only spurred his resolve.

“You just saw that he is a natural competitor,” Marr agreed. “He doesn’t take no for an answer. He doesn’t like to finish second. He doesn’t like for anybody to get the better of him. You like that type of drive and determination in a player. He does it with so much composure and smarts.”

Marr watched Hischier skate with Switzerland in the Ivan Hlinka Memorial under-18 tournament last August in Slovakia and the Czech Republic. And before his Halifax visit, Marr saw the dynamic Moosehead during an October game in Quebec against the Blainville-Boisbriand Armada.

“Nico is a player that we’ve been tracking for a couple of years. He’s been high on the radar. He was at the Ivan Hlinka tournament and we started him off with an A ranking right off the bat (this season). And he just continues to climb. He’s right up near the top of the rankings. He’s shown that he’s in that category of a special talent.”

“But you watch this weekend — he’s driven, he’s relentless. So when you combine that competitiveness with his skill-set and his smarts, that’s a very appealing package for an NHL team.”

McDavid does not play like Bure, for the record. I have seen the Hischier-McDavid comparison, which is inaccurate.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lateralous

Jun 17, 2003
Abington, PA
Visit site
Patrik Elias in his prime is pretty good IMO. Elite skater, not so much a fancy dangler as he is a smart efficient offense generator.

Elias in his prime was one of the best players in the league though, and if Hischier comes close to that then someone is getting a cornerstone player.

Oh, please let NJ luck out in the lottery. I miss prime Elias. Actually, at this point I miss old Elias too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad