C Mikhail Grigorenko - Quebec Remparts, QMJHL (2012 draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
To be fair, Button released Marty St-Louis and traded J-S Giguere for scraps. He probably just hates good players.

From what I understand, Button does has Grigorenko down his lists not because of desire or work ethic, which he was fine with. He simply believes he is not a first line talent.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
Yes, Button is the only one who doubts Grigorenko's skills. Even those who thinks he's the laziest player ever don't doubt his talent.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Can you show me where he says this?

Pretty sure he said it during TSN's Habs/Panthers broadcast last week during the intermission. Too bad it's no longer on their site.

In his chats he has made it clear he does not see elite #1 center upside in Grigorenko.

From his TSN chat in mid-March:

http://www.coveritlive.com/index2.p.../altcast_code=03e21369d0/width=620/height=600

12:16
Comment From David Fanjoy
Why is Mikhail Grigorenko so much lower on your rankings that on the ISS's rankings? He is putting up great numbers in the QMJHL and seem like he could be a powerful scoring centre in the NHL
12:19

Craig Button: I continue to be amazed that 7 is considered low. Numbers are terrific and I know that but keep in mind that the vast majority of these players have good numbers. I have said this previously; Mikhail is a very good player with very good potential and believe that he'll be a very good player in the NHL. That being said, I don't see him as an elite number 1 center. As for other rankings, I don't concern myself with that and in a nutshell, the reason I have him at 7 is simply because I think the players from 1 to 6 are better, not necessarily by a wide margin but that is my assessment.

The one in February:

http://www.coveritlive.com/index2.p.../altcast_code=79cb9e4226/width=620/height=600

Comment From Cliff
What does Mikhail Grigorenko need to show you in order to move up in your ranks?

12:03

Craig Button: I think Mikhail Grigorenko is going to be a very good NHL player. At this point in time I don't see him as an elite #1 center. I see him along the lines of Jordan Staal & Sean Couturier. I will be watching closely the next few months but in a nutshell, I will have to see that ability to be that Elite #1.

Em Ancien

Sexy 2nd Rounder
Mar 12, 2008
Mount Real Life
From what I understand, Button does has Grigorenko down his lists not because of desire or work ethic, which he was fine with. He simply believes he is not a first line talent.

I am fully aware of that. I'm also fully aware he did not believe Marty St-Louis was an NHL talent, nor was Giguère a starting goalie.

He's not in the NHL anymore because he can't live on the glory years he had in Dallas anymore.

Is his opinion worth something? Absolutely. It's just one opinion though. The thing I noticed about him (based on the track record) is that he seems to be infatuated with intangibles moreso than actual on-ice skills. Not that he completely dismisses the latter.

Can you show me where he says this?

He said he thought he was a second-line center.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
Habs should totally pick this guy. 6'3'' with great hands. This is clearly the 2nd best player in the draft. They can make a quick turn around with someone like this as the future number one center. Especially with the great wingers they have on that team.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
I am fully aware of that. I'm also fully aware he did not believe Marty St-Louis was an NHL talent, nor was Giguère a starting goalie.

He's not in the NHL anymore because he can't live on the glory years he had in Dallas anymore.

Is his opinion worth something? Absolutely. It's just one opinion though. The thing I noticed about him (based on the track record) is that he seems to be infatuated with intangibles moreso than actual on-ice skills. Not that he completely dismisses the latter.

He said he thought he was a second-line center.

From what he said he just thinks that Grigorenko wont be an elite number one centre. He said nothing about him not being a number 1 centre just not elite.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Habs should totally pick this guy. 6'3'' with great hands. This is clearly the 2nd best player in the draft. They can make a quick turn around with someone like this as the future number one center. Especially with the great wingers they have on that team.

Trust me, we know. Unless we win the lottery, I would say 3/4 of the fan base wants he or Galchenyuk to finally solve a problem that has gone on for far far far too long.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
From what he said he just thinks that Grigorenko wont be an elite number one centre. He said nothing about him not being a number 1 centre just not elite.

He compares Grigorenko to Jordan Staal, who's not exactly a first line center.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
That idiot Craig Button is actually out there watching games, talking to GMs, players, scouts etc. I find it hilarious that he gets such a bad rap around here. I guess the stat watchers and article readers know better?

Actually, I'm a part time scout for CSB, so I have seen my fair share of games. Craig Button is an idiot and is viewed amongst the scouting community the same way that Eklund is viewed around here. And to be fair about Button, he's made several head scratching moves during his tenure as Calgary GM. He traded Marc Savard, Valeri Bure, and JS Giguere for next to nothing and then he let Martin St. Louis walk. On top of it, look at the job he did as the lead scout when he was in the Toronto organization. I'm sorry, but Craig Button is a complete incompetent buffoon when it comes to rating talent.

Ringing Iron

May 8, 2011
Actually, I'm a part time scout for CSB, so I have seen my fair share of games. Craig Button is an idiot and is viewed amongst the scouting community the same way that Eklund is viewed around here. And to be fair about Button, he's made several head scratching moves during his tenure as Calgary GM. He traded Marc Savard, Valeri Bure, and JS Giguere for next to nothing and then he let Martin St. Louis walk. On top of it, look at the job he did as the lead scout when he was in the Toronto organization. I'm sorry, but Craig Button is a complete incompetent buffoon when it comes to rating talent.

Tell us how you really feel :amazed:

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
Mikhail%20Grigorenko20733.jpg

Analyzer*

PArt time scout, or not. I think everyone knows Button is a tool.

Skylimit

Oct 5, 2009
Grigorenko is clearly not NHL ready.

another LHJMQ season for him, no doubts 100% sure.

ive seen him over 30x live this years.

very good potentiel but never never NHL ready at 18 yrs.

habitue*

Is that a joke ?

Zeroknowledge*

If the Habs pick third I hope the Oilers grab him, don't want anything to do with him, he gives me a very bad vibe.

habitue*

Actually, not many 18 yrs are ready this year for NHL. Maybe Yakupov ?...

Not a deep draft at all.

pouskin74*

Its like RNH looked like NHL ready in the end of last season??:sarcasm:

lavoy

Nov 3, 2011
Just of note Grigo didn't look like an NHL player last night.. One more year will benefit him... Bit wouldn't benefit the Moose's chances :( lol

Revo

Jun 29, 2011
Quebec City
I've seen Grigorenko all season as a Remparts fan, and I agree he's not NHL ready. He could probably do good on the powerplay, but 5 on 5 would be though.

At this point, I'll say this: He'll make the team who picks him extremely happy... if that said team is patient. Bringing him up too fast has good chances of making him a bust, in my opinion. But he has top skills and is willing to work to better himself, as such I don't see how it could not work in the end with the right development path.

Admittedly, I could be too biased, wanting Grigo back next year as a Remparts fan, but I'm pretty confident in what I'm saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad