C Mikhail Grigorenko - Quebec Remparts, QMJHL (2012 draft) III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Thats not really a surprise actually, theres a reason he dropped in the draft a lot of the scouts probably saw the same concerns. That being said, there is no denying the skill he possesses and if he is able to put it all together he will be one of the best players out of the 2012 draft.
As for concerns that Grigorenko isn't dominating the Q, thats understandable actually, playing in the NHL and then the QMJHL can also have a negative effect on a player. I am pretty sure his confidence took a hit when he was sent down and so his play suffered. But next season, he will come out strong and hopefully the Sabres don't rush him and let him play in the Q for another year, should do him wonders. Unless he can play in the AHL?

He should be fine next year. His play this year at the NHL level was screwed up.

Playing another year in Q will NOT help him. He needs to play in the NHL or the AHL.

This is why i feel the rules on the AHL need to change where 1st and 2nd round picks are automatically eligible for AHL...no matter the age. Its just the teams choics.

The reason he fell had more to do with the uncertainty because of him being Russian and the KHL threat. the team that own his rights seemed to threaten that they will try and swoop in and sign him to play....which would be a higher amount than what the NHL team could pay him.

Id rather have him loaned to the KHL team than play in the Q next year.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
He should be fine next year. His play this year at the NHL level was screwed up.

Playing another year in Q will NOT help him. He needs to play in the NHL or the AHL.

This is why i feel the rules on the AHL need to change where 1st and 2nd round picks are automatically eligible for AHL...no matter the age. Its just the teams choics.

The reason he fell had more to do with the uncertainty because of him being Russian and the KHL threat. the team that own his rights seemed to threaten that they will try and swoop in and sign him to play....which would be a higher amount than what the NHL team could pay him.

The reason he fell is because he is enigmatic, shows up for some games but not others. All the talent in the world but will lack drive at times, hopfully he starts working harder and realises that he cant take shortcuts. He is still the best prospect picked after Trouba in the draft and easily worth the risk at #12.

With all the negativity he still nearly put up 2PPG.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Thats not really a surprise actually, theres a reason he dropped in the draft a lot of the scouts probably saw the same concerns. That being said, there is no denying the skill he possesses and if he is able to put it all together he will be one of the best players out of the 2012 draft.
As for concerns that Grigorenko isn't dominating the Q, thats understandable actually, playing in the NHL and then the QMJHL can also have a negative effect on a player. I am pretty sure his confidence took a hit when he was sent down and so his play suffered. But next season, he will come out strong and hopefully the Sabres don't rush him and let him play in the Q for another year, should do him wonders. Unless he can play in the AHL?

Would rather see him loaned to the KHL than back in the Q if he's not ready for the NHL still. Not sure what he's going to learn playing against boys that he can dominate when he feels like it, or when he can cut corners and still produce well over a PPG.

Habtchum*

Would rather see him loaned to the KHL than back in the Q if he's not ready for the NHL still. Not sure what he's going to learn playing against boys that he can dominate when he feels like it, or when he can cut corners and still produce well over a PPG.

Impossible. There is no business partnership between KHL and NHL clubs. If he goes there,(and doesn't respect his NHL contract with Buffalo) I am afraid he's gonna stay there.

The kid should be allright to start the season in Buffalo next Fall. Too bad they lost one precious year of eligibilty on his entry contract.

Yokai

Mar 29, 2011
Ottawa
Didn't read the full 40 pages of this thread, but did they ever solve his "age rumor"? Thought there was some stupid story going around before the draft that he was actually 19 or 20.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Impossible. There is no business partnership between KHL and NHL clubs. If he goes there,(and doesn't respect his NHL contract with Buffalo) I am afraid he's gonna stay there.

The kid should be allright to start the season in Buffalo next Fall. Too bad they lost one precious year of eligibilty on his entry contract.

No, he's already under contract with Buffalo. Buffalo can absolutely loan him to the KHL if they want; as long as he's under contract to Buffalo he'll still have to come back, and there's absolutely nothing the kid's done to suggest he doesn't want to be an NHL player besides. Bruins loaned out Kokhalachev (sp?) to the KHL. It's a viable option, and one that'll do far, far more for his development, IMO, than playing another year of junior hockey

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Any rumblings out of Quebec where he's heading (Rochester or Buffalo) now that the Remparts season is over?

NativeHockey77*

You guys think he could be a 80 pt guy? Whats the ceiling on this kid

Do you guys think he will start in the QMJHL? I hope he does, put up some radulov numbers :yo:

Mit Yarrum

HoF Turd Shiner
Apr 1, 2010
You guys think he could be a 80 pt guy? Whats the ceiling on this kid

Do you guys think he will start in the QMJHL? I hope he does, put up some radulov numbers :yo:

He'll be in Buffalo this year.

I think he could be an 80 point guy, but we're several years away from finding out.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I think his absolute max potential is Joe Thorton numbers. Which would make him an elite center. I think he has a better chance at busting than hitting that level, though. You never know...

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I think his absolute max potential is Joe Thorton numbers. Which would make him an elite center. I think he has a better chance at busting than hitting that level, though. You never know...

I generally would agree with that opinion, but I also think the boom/bust factor of Grigo is a bit overrated. I think the odds neither of those scenarios happen (ie: that he becomes a good player in the NHL but not a superstar) > the odds that either does. But I'll be alternately jumping for joy and pinching myself to make sure I'm not dreaming if he turns out anything like Jumbo Joe.

lifeisruff

Oct 29, 2009
wny
I can't help but see Tim Connolly in this guy, all the talent in the world, but a head case with character issues, too good for juniors, not good enough for the NHL, can't go to the AHL.

Of course Connolly was rounding into form quite nicely before Schaefer crushed him. If he had a couple more years like he did in 2005-2006 he might not be so disliked regardless of what his personality shortcomings were.

Skylimit

Oct 5, 2009
Mikhail Grigorenko is overrated.

ive see him play all the QHJML games and i can tell you he is not even NHL rdy.

very soft player.

MacOfNiagara

Feb 8, 2006
Ithaca
I can't help but see Tim Connolly in this guy, all the talent in the world, but a head case with character issues, too good for juniors, not good enough for the NHL, can't go to the AHL.

Of course Connolly was rounding into form quite nicely before Schaefer crushed him. If he had a couple more years like he did in 2005-2006 he might not be so disliked regardless of what his personality shortcomings were.

What character issues?
All indications thus far is that he is working his ass off to get familiar with the language and the NA game and improve his skating and defensive play. Doesn't sound like character issues to me.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
What character issues? .

He's Russian...

In a seriousness if he learns to battle for pucks he will be a very good player, if he doesn't then he will he a guy who bounces around the league. The talent and tools are there but the rest is up to him. I think he will need another 2-3 years before he breaks through.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Mikhail Grigorenko is overrated.

ive see him play all the QHJML games and i can tell you he is not even NHL rdy.

very soft player.

Sure looked pretty NHL ready in our last game vs the Isles where he was probably the Sabres' best player. Thanks for the tip tho.

SarcazemKadri

Feb 15, 2012
Toronto

What many posters don't realize is the CHL AHL rule is in place to protect the product on the ice at the CHL level. You may not think this matters, but if there wasn't these star players in the CHL, league related revenue would be lost, and the NHL's golden egg for developing players would suffer.

Bure

Jan 3, 2011
Ottawa, Ontario
Many hockey ppl are obsessed with fast high intensity players.

Grigo slows the game down and sees the Ice very well. This is not as appreciated sometimes. He should be a very good player.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax

Grigo slows the game down and sees the Ice very well. This is not as appreciated sometimes. He should be a very good player.

Not that I'm projecting super great things for Grigs, necessarily, but I think you're bang on with this whole post in general. Waterbugs bouncing around at top speed off of everything do seem to be the flavour of choice for the younger generation, and it's almost forgotten that the very best players in the history of the game had reputations for being the very best at the part of your statement that I've bolded above.

MacOfNiagara

Feb 8, 2006
Ithaca

His biggest asset IMO. When he is playing with confidence he just slows the game down (in a good way). Very jordanesque in that sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad