C Mikhail Grigorenko - Quebec Remparts, QMJHL (2012 draft) III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veritas0Aequitas

Feb 5, 2013
Colorado
Ends the season with 54 points in 33 games. That's a 96 point pace. I bet that pace would have been even higher if he had played the entire season down in the Q. However, I think the experience he gained in the NHL really helped him.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
Few minutes left in the game, 1+3 so far..

Good deal. The rest of the season in the Q, plus a real training camp, and I think he comes back very strong. Especially if the Sabres hire a coach known for encouraging his players instead of beating them down like Ruff has a tendency to do.

WADEugottaBELAKthat

Nikishin turning heads.
Nov 21, 2003
CSKA MoskWTF?
I wonder if Patrick Roy regrets trading Kucherov?

53 points in 27 games since getting traded from Quebec to RNH. Those guys would be amazing to watch together this upcoming playoffs ... too bad.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
I wonder if Patrick Roy regrets trading Kucherov?

53 points in 27 games since getting traded from Quebec to RNH. Those guys would be amazing to watch together this upcoming playoffs ... too bad.

When he traded Kucherov, he didn't think Grigorenko would stick in the NHL, so he knew he could have Kucherov and Grigorenko in the playoffs.

He thought about long term when he traded Kucherov, not short term. Only time will tell if he was right to do it. The import pick he got for 2014 is now more valuable because teams won't be able to trade import picks starting next summer. And since he wants to host the Mem Cup 2015, the 2014 pick that should be high is going to be a great asset.

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
I wonder what happens with him next year since it's either the NHL or Junior again (KHL aside).
I wouldn't be surprised if he's basically in the NHL by default, as his contract is already ticking regardless of where he plays next year.

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
No... if he plays in the QMJHL next season, he'll still have 2 years left on his contract.
Entry-level slide is conditional on the contract not starting, which it did after he played his sixth NHL game this season.
Therefore, even if he spent all of next season in the QMJHL, it'd count as the second year of his contract.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Wow I didn't realize that so not only did they burn a year of his contract now his contract is ticking no matter where he plays? Major mismanagement. I hope they do what is best for his development and notrush him just for the sake of his contract. He could probably use some AHL time

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
I don't think it would be that much effect in Grigorenko's case. It would be surprising to see him gets a huge increase in his next contract.

RefsIdeas

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
As a Buffalo fan that has been following Grigorenko very closely since before the 2012 draft, I gotta admit I'm worried. Reasons why:

-Buffalo Sabres writer hearing "He's not the hardest worker"
-His skating needs a LOT of work
-95 percent of the time he looked lost on the ice in the NHL
-For being 6'3 200 pounds, he doesn't use his size to his advantage at all - I didn't see him fight for a puck once in the NHL.
-Had a 3 game pointless streak in the playoffs recently, it was broken with their last game, but shouldn't he be dominating at that level?

I understand he didn't play with great linemates. I understand he was the youngest player in the NHL. Those are circumstances that he can't control. He had a couple of flashes this year, but they were far too few for my liking. I'm not saying I'm a professional scout or anything, but I've considered it a hobby of mine for a little while now. I like to think I have some degree of success when predicting a players future in the NHL. Right now, as much as it kills me to say, I do not believe Grigorenko will ever be a 1st or even 2nd line NHL center. Unless there is a major turn around in his game, I'm predicting his career as a 35-40 point 3rd line center.

There are some things that are just not coachable. The hardest part about figuring out if a prospect is going to be successful or not is figuring out if the problems in a player's game can be coached or can become better with some training. It is my belief right now that the problems in Grigorenko's game will not become better with coaching or training.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
As a Buffalo fan that has been following Grigorenko very closely since before the 2012 draft, I gotta admit I'm worried. Reasons why:

-For being 6'3 200 pounds, he doesn't use his size to his advantage at all - I didn't see him fight for a puck once in the NHL.
-Had a 3 game pointless streak in the playoffs recently, it was broken with their last game, but shouldn't he be dominating at that level?

I understand he didn't play with great linemates. I understand he was the youngest player in the NHL. Those are circumstances that he can't control. He had a couple of flashes this year, but they were far too few for my liking. I'm not saying I'm a professional scout or anything, but I've considered it a hobby of mine for a little while now. I like to think I have some degree of success when predicting a players future in the NHL. Right now, as much as it kills me to say, I do not believe Grigorenko will ever be a 1st or even 2nd line NHL center. Unless there is a major turn around in his game, I'm predicting his career as a 35-40 point 3rd line center.

There are some things that are just not coachable. The hardest part about figuring out if a prospect is going to be successful or not is figuring out if the problems in a player's game can be coached or can become better with some training. It is my belief right now that the problems in Grigorenko's game will not become better with coaching or training.

All the things you just described are largely down to work ethic. It will be up to Grigorenko on what he wants to become.

If Grigorenko is going to be a long-time NHL player, he'll be a productive one. The elite skills are there. If he doesn't work hard, he won't be a bottom six center IMO for very long, since that would require a complete change in how he plays his game and if that happened ... well he'd be productive.

It's a little too early to be worried. A short stint on a bad NHL team whilst being underused at 18 and a 3 game playoff sample size isn't really enough to conclude anything.

Mergus merganser

Oct 23, 2006
How about the fact he has 17 points in 11 games since being returned to the AHL. Is that something we should be super concerned with?

Like the last poster said, he has elite skill. The question will be if he wants it bad enough. I'm not too concerned, the reward with a player like him is so great that any risk of him busting is worth it.

danyhabsfan

Feb 12, 2007
Montreal
How about the fact he has 17 points in 11 games since being returned to the AHL. Is that something we should be super concerned with?

Like the last poster said, he has elite skill. The question will be if he wants it bad enough. I'm not too concerned, the reward with a player like him is so great that any risk of him busting is worth it.

Are you talking about Grigorenko?

Intangiblezz

Oct 21, 2012
I have watched 3 games of the Remparts vs Huskies series and I have to say Grigorenko looks pretty dissapointing out there. He is a player with NHL experience and cant make more of an impact in a series where his team is down 3 games to 1.

The effort is just not there. When he is in control of the puck he makes things happen but just doesnt do anything when off the puck.

His skating, defensive work and physical play are 3 things that need a lot of work. He floats in the defensive zone and is always one of the last to back check.

I will admit I have never been a fan of him but this is just bad. I hope for the Sabres sake he improves on his game before next season.

Doc5

Aug 8, 2012

Thats not really a surprise actually, theres a reason he dropped in the draft a lot of the scouts probably saw the same concerns. That being said, there is no denying the skill he possesses and if he is able to put it all together he will be one of the best players out of the 2012 draft.
As for concerns that Grigorenko isn't dominating the Q, thats understandable actually, playing in the NHL and then the QMJHL can also have a negative effect on a player. I am pretty sure his confidence took a hit when he was sent down and so his play suffered. But next season, he will come out strong and hopefully the Sabres don't rush him and let him play in the Q for another year, should do him wonders. Unless he can play in the AHL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad