C Mikhail Grigorenko - Quebec Remparts, QMJHL (2012 draft) II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
Stephane Leroux ‏@StephRDSJunior

"A scout from a team drafting between 21st and 30th told me they wouldn't touch Grigorenko if he falls to them #dontagree"

Wow.

(Stephane Leroux is responsible of the draft for RDS, he's their analyst for the QMJHL)

That same scout from before probably.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
We've seen more surprising things than a scout thinking Grigorenko isn't worth a 21st-30th overall pick.

There are two GMs who thought Scott Gomez was worth 7,3M$.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006

"A scout from a team drafting between 21st and 30th told me they wouldn't touch Grigorenko if he falls to them #dontagree"

Wow.

(Stephane Leroux is responsible of the draft for RDS, he's their analyst for the QMJHL)

Of course that scout would say that, the draft is all a big mind ****. Hopefully with that kind of talk he gets in the heads of some of the teams below him and hopes that they pass on Grigs and with some luck he drops to their spot.

It's been nothing but posturing for a lot of these clubs and scouts to try to manipulate what others do at the draft tomorrow.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Wow.

Considering the annual mistake fest and crapshoot that is the NHL draft, who cares?

Siberian

Dec 4, 2003
Saint Pierre
The rumour has it that the story about Grigorenko is spinned by agents of Grigorenko's direct competitors for the draft. It does make sense to me now.

My opinion is still the same - Grigorenko is the most talented in this seemingly weak draft. I would never in 100 years choose Yakupov, who outside of a nice one-timer has nothing, absolutely nothing on Grigorenko. Have you guys seen the juniors? Smallish Yakupov had very serious problems playing against decent competition, he could not really create for himself nor was he able to open up for his notorius one-timer. He is the type of player who is easily shutdown. He does not have the size, he does not have the reach. Comparison with Kovalchuk, Ovechkin? Give me a ****** break! And look at the way Grigorenko played, he is the closest comparison to Malkin out of the recent Russian crop, there is nobody closer!!!! Size, passing, scoring, visibility, reach, all of those things.
I am not saying he will be as good or close to Malkin, but definitely he has the potential to be a really really good player.

romao

May 18, 2010
Kharkiv

Wow.

This is not new at all. Couple of months ago there already was some scout who wouldn't take Grigorenko even if he falls to 25th.

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/story/?id=388658

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
This is not new at all. Couple of months ago there already was some scout who wouldn't take Grigorenko even if he falls to 25th.

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/story/?id=388658

Yeah, this was a quote from that article which was posted late February

TSN Article said:
His concerns were echoed by another eastern conference scout who insisted his team will not select the talented Russian no matter where they end up in the standings. "He's a dog. Take a look at what games Grigorenko gets his points. He gets a handful the other night against PEI. none at Moncton, and one assist (in the nationally televised game) in Saint John. A couple of weeks ago in Rimouski he's minus 6. He scares the (crap) out of me."

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
Yeah, this was a quote from that article which was posted late February

And yet, there was a poster who looked at his stats following that statement and showed Grigorenko had more points against the top of the league this season (Saint John, Shawi and Victo) than against the bottom (PEI, Rouyn and CB).

That scout's sample size was three games in the Maritimes in February when Grigorenko was still injured to his ankle.

Edit: I've found it.

10 goals and 8 assists in 12 games against the three best teams. (1,5 pts / game)

4 goals and 7 assists in 8 games against the three worst teams. (1,375 pts / game)

Other teams (10): 26 goals and 30 assists in 39 games. (1,44 pts / game)

Last edited:

Slay

May 24, 2003
Krasnoyarsk
This is Grigorenko's father interview from a year ago: http://www.sports.ru/hockey/102521199.html

"I would love my son to achieve recognition in the club, where he played since the age of 7, after coming from Khabarovsk. I am not even saying what he had to go through. That story with allegedly fake age. For this case even FSB (ex KGB) were coming to Khabarovsk with investigation and trying to find something illegal. They found nothing."

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
This is Grigorenko's father interview from a year ago: http://www.sports.ru/hockey/102521199.html

"I would love my son to achieve recognition in the club, where he played since the age of 7, after coming from Khabarovsk. I am not even saying what he had to go through. That story with allegedly fake age. For this case even FSB (ex KGB) were coming to Khabarovsk with investigation and trying to find something illegal. They found nothing."

Well, I think this about wraps it up. Thanks for the quote: now it's time to put this to bed.

getyourselfsomerest

Jul 22, 2011
Bob McKenzie's rankings had him at #12. His rankings are a general representation of what the scouts out there believe. If it was a single scout, or unsubstantiated gossip, he wouldn't have fallen so low.

Of course this is speculation on my part.

Well CSS and ISS have him in the top 5. I think CSS has 15 scouts and ISS has 20+ at least. That group of scouts alone is probably much bigger than Bob's. I'm not sure but I think the ISS final list was out in February/March while CSS was out I believe after the Remparts were eliminated. I still think the majority of scouts have him in the top 5 but now the media seems to have tightened its grip on Grigs, which is too bad because I think his work ethic "issues" are way overblown, he's getting the Russian factor tied to him while Yakupov and Gally(even though he's American) get a free pass, and now people are spreading baseless rumours about his age with no proof. Ridiculous. I hope the Leafs pick him and if not Burke is a fool.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
What I also find disgusting is scouts assassinating Grigorenko's mother's character by claiming she used her job to change her sons age to 2,3, and apparently even 5 years younger (lol). It's disgusting. A joke really.

Atleast now the age thing has confirmed to be ********.

dan1el

Oct 16, 2011
At the risk of sounding stupid, can someone confirm his position? I haven't seen too much of his play and everything I've read says he's a center but hockeydb says he's a right winger.

Qvist

Apr 14, 2009
The rumour has it that the story about Grigorenko is spinned by agents of Grigorenko's direct competitors for the draft. It does make sense to me now.

You really think it improves things to counter one conspiracy theory with another?

Jack Bourdain

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 25, 2008
It seems everything people bring up against Grigorenko since the end of the season has been purely on a personal level, and never on his abilities as a hockey player.

Whoever drafts him will have a special player (a term scouts use), I don't know his upside or ceiling, but he has all the tools to become a good NHL player.

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
It seems everything people bring up against Grigorenko since the end of the season has been purely on a personal level, and never on his abilities as a hockey player.

Whoever drafts him will have a special player (a term scouts use), I don't know his upside or ceiling, but he has all the tools to become a good NHL player.

this. im really hoping he slips to Toronto, he was ranked #2 all season and when everyone stops playing he is then said to go 10+ lol.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
I don't think I want to hear anything more about Grigorenko's age. Maybe I'm overstepping my bounds here, but check out Site Rule #13:

13) Libel: Any posts libeling players, prospects, or hockey personnel. It's not acceptable to post that you heard Player X has a drinking/drug/sex/personal problem from a "good" source. Do not post information that can be considered defamatory without a link to a credible media source. Other forums, personal websites, hearsay, and personal testimonials are not considered credible.

AFAIC, this is all "libelous" in the HFBoards sense (if not the technical legal sense), and I'm going to infract anybody who posts any further comments on Grigorenko's age, unless it is linked to a credible media source. :rant:

Kevin Forbes

Jul 29, 2002
Nova Scotia
www.kforbesy.ca
I really don't care much, but wouldn't Damien Cox's tweet about it pretty much throw the covers off the whole story? Cox should qualify as a media source.
I mean, everything that has happened since has been discussion now that people are aware that this rumour is floating around.
I can see if it was more just people chatting about it without proof (as would be the case in the scant mentions of it prior to this week), but there now has been official acknowledgement of the rumour from a media source, citing a GM...

Not trying to poke the bear or play devil's advocate, but wondering about interpretation of the rule.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
I really don't care much, but wouldn't Damien Cox's tweet about it pretty much throw the covers off the whole story? Cox should qualify as a media source.
I mean, everything that has happened since has been discussion now that people are aware that this rumour is floating around.
I can see if it was more just people chatting about it without proof (as would be the case in the scant mentions of it prior to this week), but there now has been official acknowledgement of the rumour from a media source, citing a GM...
I think there has been more than enough discussion on it already, and in the spirit of the Site Rule, we should move on. Talk about Grigorenko the player. If there's some *NEW* information published by a credible media source, I guess we can bring that to the table, but otherwise, it's time to move on IMHO.

Last edited:

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007

Not trying to poke the bear or play devil's advocate, but wondering about interpretation of the rule.

I think he said credible media source. ;)

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
If Grigs falls out of the top 5 (very likely) then I hope the Oilers acquire the 6th or 8th overall pick. The management obviously likes him and he could be the perfect number 2 centermen behind Nuge.

Hall - Nuge - Eberle
Hemsky - Grigorenko - Yakupov

If only... haha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad