C Matthew Savoie - Winnipeg Ice, WHL (2022, 9th, BUF)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Who was denied because they chose to play in the USA? Hell Tverberg tried to play for the USA and still got an invite. Hockey Canada tends to look heavily at history with hockey Canada. They don't start with a fresh slate for everyone in September. That's selection criteria, not politics.

Maybe you can give a better explanation for why a kid like Gaucher gets invited to the summer showcase over the Savoie brothers.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
In your opinion is it just an oversight on team selection then if you are in that group of people, or are you in the camp of he didn’t deserve to make it?

If you believe favouritism is the cause behind the non selection, that in my opinion is politics. Regardless of the reason why others are the favourites. Maybe not politics per se, but “playing” politics might be a better phrase.
I believe it is just they didn't value him the same way a lot of people on this board did. I don't think it had anything to do with him or his brother. Not everything is a conspiracy.
Maybe you can give a better explanation for why a kid like Gaucher gets invited to the summer showcase over the Savoie brothers.
Until this year Matt hadn't really had an impressive season. He's undersized and has had 2 concussions. I mean, did he really outplay Fantili last year?

I feel its a huge reach to say a WHL kid didn't get an invite because of these situations when they gave Tverberg an invite and he plays NCAA and tried to play for the Americans. You can think its the wrong decision and acknowledge it is due to a misguided evaluation rather than politics.

Last edited:
Reactions: Akrapovince

bigbabybuda

Feb 19, 2014
Canada
Like, he has been the best player period probably in the entire CHL so I dont see how it excusable he didn't even get a tryout. These are suppose to he adults selecting these teams. I dont know how you can justify to young men (kids really) that performance doesn't matter. He should be at camp PERIOD!

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I believe it is just they didn't value him the same way a lot of people on this board did. I don't think it had anything to do with him or his brother. Not everything is a conspiracy.

Until this year Matt hadn't really had an impressive season. He's undersized and has had 2 concussions. I mean, did he really outplay Fantili last year?

I feel its a huge reach to say a WHL kid didn't get an invite because of these situations when they gave Tverberg an invite and he plays NCAA and tried to play for the Americans. You can think its the wrong decision and acknowledge it is due to a misguided evaluation than politics.
You don't think 21g 38p in 34 USHL games is impressive for a 16 year old? That's a hard league to score in, he definitely outplayed Fantilli.

Carter had 13g 20p in 24 NCAA games, and no showcase invite. Is tearing up the NCAA again and still no invite. Tverberg is definitely the exception and not the rule.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
You don't think 21g 38p in 34 USHL games is impressive for a 16 year old? That's a hard league to score in, he definitely outplayed Fantilli.

Carter had 13g 20p in 24 NCAA games, and no showcase invite. Is tearing up the NCAA again and still no invite. Tverberg is definitely the exception and not the rule.
What's the politics against Savoie? I don't see him as more egregious than previous 17 year old CHL players. You can think the evaluation is off and not think its due to a vendetta.

WetWholphin

Sep 4, 2021
https://hfboards.mandatory.com
What's the politics against Savoie? I don't see him as more egregious than previous 17 year old CHL players. You can think the evaluation is off and not think its due to a vendetta.

I think the point is that the degree of misevaluation in this case would be so egregious that there must be some bias against Savoie due to past actions. If Canada wants their best chance to win, it would make sense that they would at least invite one of the leading CHL scorers to camp.

When you have a system that purports to have the best talent in NA, and one of the undisputed best players in that system doesn't even draw an invite, its a little awkward.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I think the point is that the degree of misevaluation in this case would be so egregious that there must be some bias against Savoie due to past actions. If Canada wants their best chance to win, it would make sense that they would at least invite one of the leading CHL scorers to camp.
I don't see it as more egregious than previous omissions from kids who were Hockey Canada through and through and never had any dispute though. And, I believe Canada went with a smaller camp than usual. I mean, I know I've mentioned it multiple times but they left Marner and Strome off the year they led the OHL in points, and they still won gold. Simply because they weren't better than their top 6 kids. This year is also weird in the sense a lot of the high-end 19 year olds who would dominate the CHL like Perfetti are in the AHL.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Brule Also didn't get an invite in his draft year and was second in WHL scoring at the time.

Team Canada tends to gravitate to the older players and maybe takes one or two draft eligible players.

My guess is they valued Wright/Bedard more due to their exceptional performance at the U18's last spring.

I'm sure Savoie will be a factor on next year's team.

Reactions: mazmin

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
Conor Garland led the CHL in scoring 2 years in a row and did not get an invite.

"The first couple days, you're just looking at the jersey, the 'USA' you're wearing," Garland said. "For someone like myself, I didn't make any USA teams growing up. I got cut from World Juniors twice. So, it was pretty cool to finally get there. It took me 25 years, but eventually I got there."

Garland Dazzles at World Championship

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
"The first couple days, you're just looking at the jersey, the 'USA' you're wearing," Garland said. "For someone like myself, I didn't make any USA teams growing up. I got cut from World Juniors twice. So, it was pretty cool to finally get there. It took me 25 years, but eventually I got there."

Garland Dazzles at World Championship
I stand corrected. At least he got invited.

Reactions: Bubbles

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
Conor Garland led the CHL in scoring 2 years in a row and did not get an invite.

And? Garland went in the 5th round and was an American kid playing in the Q because he never got the light of day from the NTDP, as per his recent interview.

Savoie is legitimately gunning for 1st overall. He's been a known quantity since he was 11.

Not similar situations...

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
:huh: stop writing HFboards posts like its' a college thesis... nobody is impressed.

Are you having problems keeping up?

It’s refreshing to have a poster like Leafs93 that can write 2 complete sentences together.

I know people get more likes for being street and cool but anyone impressed by your post here probably doesn’t have very much to contribute here.

hockey20000

Dec 23, 2018
kids talented but the only wanting to report to certain whl teams probs was part of the reason he nnot picked that type of stuff doesnt go over well.. doesnt look good if a small nhl market drafts him also

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
kids talented but the only wanting to report to certain whl teams probs was part of the reason he nnot picked that type of stuff doesnt go over well.. doesnt look good if a small nhl market drafts him also

Sucks for him since Arizona and Ottawa are the 2 worst teams in the league right now.

And you apply the same logic to Marner, Perfetti, and Domi, all of whom bluff committed to Michigan in order to skirt being drafted by less desirable teams?

It's only the exact same situation.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Best prospect in North America at the moment. Leading rhe WHL in scoring. Best skater.

Only politics prevent him from leading team Canada to Gold. The idiots running the show @ Hockey Canada have a vendetta. This guy is an NHL superstar in the Making. Easily a better player then Shane Wright.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
Unfortunately he won't be available for U18s in April. That's disappointing. I guess we'll just have to send Bedard back to score a few more backhanded beauties.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad