C Mathew Barzal - Seattle Thunderbirds, WHL (2015, 16th, NYI) II

Status
Not open for further replies.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
Again? He didn't score 120 last season...nor was he on pace for that result.

Barzal had a strong season in the WHL, however he was not so dominant that he's outgrown the league. If he is back in the WHL there are things he can work on. If he can play in the NHL, then he should stay there - if he can't (and judging by the frequency that he's scratched, it looks that way) then send him back to the WHL. It's not like NYI has an impressive history of developing players - so i'm not sure what the benefit of him staying up there is - except for him personally making $$$.

Barzal has almost certainly outgrown the WHL and will be the far and away top talent in the league this year if he is to return. I do not see what he will learn playing in Seattle this year. He is the archetypal example of why teams should be provided with an allotment for prospect AHL assignments...

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I feel at this point Capuano is just trolling Skinnyjimmy08.

Haha. Capuano always does this. He is terrible at handling kids, it's not just Barzal. He's also probably in a bad mood because he no longer has Brian Strait (a.k.a. his Precious) around.

If there is one thing Capuano is good at, it's ****ing with the minds of the prospects and crushing their confidence.

monsieurthibz

Oct 8, 2016
Montreal
..maybe we simply don't know something about Barzal that keeps Capuano from putting him in the line-up.. If that's not the case, then it sucks for MB and will probably play with his confidence once he does get in the line-up for a few last games. At least Tito Beauvillier is having fun on the ice.. :nod:

He

Jul 2, 2015
Winnipeg
I think he'd best be off to juniors, especially if he's not getting much for minutes. There must still be parts of his game he could refine/improve getting big minutes in the dub.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I think he'd best be off to juniors, especially if he's not getting much for minutes. There must still be parts of his game he could refine/improve getting big minutes in the dub.

absolutely there are. I am one of the biggest Barzal fans there are and have voiced my opinion on how good he is for a very long time but by no means is he too good for the WHL. He definitely has parts of his game to improve before playing in NHL full time. Strength, faceoffs and continually working on his defensive play are things he needs to improve on. Another thing id like to see him work on is more of a killer instinct in the offensive zone. His vision and passing is one of the best ive ever seen but there are times that he just needs to be more selfish and score.

IMO he needs to go back to the WHL and completely dominate and try to stay healthy.

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
absolutely there are. I am one of the biggest Barzal fans there are and have voiced my opinion on how good he is for a very long time but by no means is he too good for the WHL. He definitely has parts of his game to improve before playing in NHL full time. Strength, faceoffs and continually working on his defensive play are things he needs to improve on. Another thing id like to see him work on is more of a killer instinct in the offensive zone. His vision and passing is one of the best ive ever seen but there are times that he just needs to be more selfish and score.

IMO he needs to go back to the WHL and completely dominate and try to stay healthy.

Well most of are in agreement. Even Butch Goring was getting on the organization for how they are handling Barzal.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005

He really needs to improve on faceoffs, even in junior his faceoff stats are bad

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Nyi keeps winning and i just dont see how barzal will ever get in lineup. Capuano even said his centers are playing well and isnt sure how he can fit barzal in.

Only hope is if there is an injury

Jamesbay

Oct 19, 2014
Nyi keeps winning and i just dont see how barzal will ever get in lineup. Capuano even said his centers are playing well and isnt sure how he can fit barzal in.

Only hope is if there is an injury

Is there any hope for him to ever get a spot? The Islanders are set on centres with Tavares, Nelson and Strome and they are all very young.

What kind of future is there for him on the Islanders? It feels like he got drafted by a team that has no need for him.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Is there any hope for him to ever get a spot? The Islanders are set on centres with Tavares, Nelson and Strome and they are all very young.

What kind of future is there for him on the Islanders?

there isn't a spot for him this year and Capuano has even said it. Why hes still up with NYI still is completely mind boggling

Ive rarely ever seen a team keep their top young prospect up as only a practice player and not play games.. bizzare

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005

What kind of future is there for him on the Islanders? It feels like he drafted by a team that had no need for him.

Personally I think Nelson should be moved to LW, but that is just my opinion

there isn't a spot for him this year and Capuano has even said it. Why hes still up with NYI still is completely mind boggling

To get a feel what it is like to be in the NHL

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Personally I think Nelson should be moved to LW, but that is just my opinion

To get a feel what it is like to be in the NHL

im sure he has during camp/preseason and the first few games. But why still is ridiculous

He needs to play actual games!!!!

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
im sure he has during camp/preseason and the first few games. But why still is ridiculous

He needs to play actual games!!!!

I agree they probably should send him down but the Islanders seem to like keeping players up to get the feel of a NHL hockey environment. I am guessing at the end of the day Barzal likes the paycheck

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
He's gonna go back, play in a top six role with Canada at the World Juniors, and help Seattle challenged for a Memorial Cup.

That's not bad folks. It just wasn't his year, NYI is still deep at center even with the departure of Nielsen.

He's gonna be a very important piece to the team in the future, but it's not there right now.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I agree they probably should send him down but the Islanders seem to like keeping players up to get the feel of a NHL hockey environment. I am guessing at the end of the day Barzal likes the paycheck

ya I honestly don't mind sticking around a few games just to see the preparation and everything that goes into being a pro, but IMO it has gotten to a point where it just has gone on too long I think.

Maybe im just jealous hes making more money in these few weeks or so than I do in a year hahah jk

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I think if he sticks all 9 games that is like 90k+
Players aren't paid by game, they are paid on a per-day rate on the active roster. So divide his ELC (without bonuses) by a number of days in the season, then times it by how many days he was on the active roster. Technically, he could make a full season's wages without playing a game. Pretty sure the Flames, when they IR'd Sam Bennett til about late February in 2014-15, ended up paying him a couple hundred thousand (or an insurance company did).

Frankie41987

Feb 1, 2007
Kings Park
I don't really think the situation is that "mind-boggling." The plan seemed to be that there was 1 spot available for one of the two rookies. They were alternating games in the beginning of the season and Beauvillier's strong play coupled by Barzal's dumb-penalties have kept Tony in the games and Matt out. Also, once you send Matt down, that's it he can't come back. Even if someone is injured, Barzal will be stuck in junior. So I believe (and rightfully in my opinion) they are holding on until they are absolutely sure which direction they want to go. I really doubt his development is suffering by missing the first few games of Seattle's season. Of course you could have two rookies on the team, but I honestly don't think anyone has been bad enough to be scratched for a 2nd rookie. Quine-Strome-Tony was the best line tonight. Plus, they want to keep him at center which makes it harder to slide him in.

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight

Yep I'm one of his biggest supporters but he isn't "too good" for the WHL in the traditional sense. Would he be the best player? I think so. But there are still parts of his game such as faceoffs, shooting, and defense he could definitely work on.

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight

What kind of future is there for him on the Islanders? It feels like he got drafted by a team that has no need for him.

Nelson should be a winger, and then he and Strome can both center a line in the middle 6, hopefully giving NYI 3 good scoring lines

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Jack Roslovic who was taken 9 spots after Barzal is 13th in AHL scoring and leading all rookies. He can play in the AHL because he went the NCAA route.

Barzal is in a state of hockey purgatory because of this dumb NHL/CHL agreement. He could be playing games against men and working on his game in AHL and getting called up when injuries arise rather than sitting in the press box because the Islanders can't make up their minds.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland

Nelson's future is most likely not at center, and even then he's probably the favorite to be lost via expansion. Either him or Lee, if I had to guess.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011

Yes, he'll get a spot. He's going to be better than Strome, and Nelson should really be on the wing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad