C Mathew Barzal - Seattle Thunderbirds, WHL (2015, 16th, NYI) II

Status
Not open for further replies.

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
Garth Snow feels sitting Barzal out from playing hockey for the year is best for his development.

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
Haha i realize you are joking but this is exactly what is happening and he honestly must think it

Pretty much.

I can understand how being up with the NHL team for a bit could be good for his development. Getting up to speed by practicing with those guys, going over film, getting to see these guys worth ethics, etc. But even if he gets another chance to play he is going to be out of game shape/rusty. It puts a ton of pressure on him and increases the chance he has a bad game. This destroys confidants and is bad for his development. You need to put a guy in let him play and if he has a bad game he can get another shot a night or two later and forget about it. You need to get him in enough games to where the nervousnesses is gone and he is just in game mode playing and not over thinking everything.

It was good for him for a minute, now they are just hurting him. Send him back.. The Islanders wonder why they can't develop any top six players.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I am starting to wonder if there is some sort of issue with NYI not wanting to send him back to Seattle specifically. Or maybe Barzal has expressed concern with going back to play for head coach Steve Konowalchuk.

Konoalchuk in the past has been hard on his players if they don't put in a full effort always and has benched star players if they are having off games. I know a lot of former NHLers that are head coaches in junior can be extremely tough on players and some players don't respond well to that real intense approach.

I just have no answers or ideas as to why he is still up with NYI and never ever dressing... and maybe, just maybe there could be internal issues with him going back to specifically Seattle.

If this is the case and Seattle trades him, the return will be absolutely insane

Last edited:

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
I am starting to wonder if there is some sort of issue with NYI not wanting to send him back to Seattle specifically. Or maybe Barzal has expressed concern with going back to play for head coach Steve Konowalchuk.

Konoalchuk in the past has been hard on his players if they don't put in a full effort always and has benched star players if they are having off games. I know a lot of former NHLers that are head coaches in junior can be extremely tough on players and some players don't respond well to that real intense approach.

I just have no answers or ideas as to why he is still up with NYI and never ever dressing... and maybe, just maybe there could be internal issues with him going back to specifically Seattle.

If this is the case and Seattle trades him, the return will be absolutely insane

I could see Seattle trading Barzal (if he goes back down ever..) given the fact that they've had a very rough start to the year and they will have to retool significantly next season when they lose him + Bear + Gropp + Kolesar + Toth + True. Better to get ahead of the rebuild and leverage Barzal who would return a fortune. Love to see him playing in Everett/PG/Regina (though can't imagine he'd love the shock to the system of going from NYC to PG, lol)

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I could see Seattle trading Barzal (if he goes back down ever..) given the fact that they've had a very rough start to the year and they will have to retool significantly next season when they lose him + Bear + Gropp + Kolesar + Toth + True. Better to get ahead of the rebuild and leverage Barzal who would return a fortune. Love to see him playing in Everett/PG/Regina (though can't imagine he'd love the shock to the system of going from NYC to PG, lol)

Ya Seattle has had a rough start to the year but once they ever get Barzal back and once Kolesar returns from injury(hasn't played yet) those 2 will help the team significantly. But IMO even with all that fire power up front, Seattle will still need to make a huge trade or 2 to help their defense. Russ Farwell isn't usually one to give up a lot of future for a 1 season push so ill be curious to see what happens.

Everything in Seattle is waiting on this Barzal situation

Apart of me would almost rather see Seattle unload Barzal, Gropp, Kolesar, Bear, Eansor for huge youthful returns

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Although not confirmed, but judging by the game day skate in NYI, it looks like Barzal isn't dressing again tonight

I wish I had the job as a professional practice player with VIP seating every game haha

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Although not confirmed, but judging by the game day skate in NYI, it looks like Barzal isn't dressing again tonight

I wish I had the job as a professional practice player with VIP seating every game haha

It seems like a lot of team are taking this approach. I am not sure it's a new fad or something.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
It seems like a lot of team are taking this approach. I am not sure it's a new fad or something.

its a bizzare trend this season I am finding. Like do NHL teams actually despise having these young players play in junior nowadays that they would rather them sit in the pressbox and not play games?

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
its a bizzare trend this season I am finding. Like do NHL teams actually despise having these young players play in junior nowadays that they would rather them sit in the pressbox and not play games?

Maybe there's a special value in just practicing/traveling with an NHL team?

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012

haha ya I can see that during preseason and a few games, but this is getting a little absurd how long its been now and its looking like there is no hope of him getting in lineup anytime soon. And if he does eventually dress for a game, he will be gripping his stick so damn hard and have a bad game... like he did last time they randomly dressed him

I said before that I honestly wouldn't doubt if there is something else going on here... like perhaps maybe he/the team has an issue returning to Seattle???... maybe Tbirds are working on a deal to move him or something. I just am completely confused about the situation and have no answers

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
The other two kids who were getting scratched at the rate Barzal was, have both been sent down since (Chabot and Sergachev). Even Crouse is getting more of an opportunity. It is getting pretty ridiculous and its not like the Isles have a great development track record under Snow.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
The other two kids who were getting scratched at the rate Barzal was, have both been sent down since (Chabot and Sergachev). Even Crouse is getting more of an opportunity. It is getting pretty ridiculous and its not like the Isles have a great development track record under Snow.

It's maddening. He's able body and shouldn't be sitting that much, at this point, he'd be better off in Junior, I think despite his limited minutes, he's aware of his shortcomings and will commit to improving.

I just don't want the kids to get the damaged goods syndrome. Keeping them around may not be best for them.

seabass11

Dec 12, 2010
It's maddening. He's able body and shouldn't be sitting that much, at this point, he'd be better off in Junior, I think despite his limited minutes, he's aware of his shortcomings and will commit to improving.

I just don't want the kids to get the damaged goods syndrome. Keeping them around may not be best for them.

Or, maybe it is? Rather than send him down to the juniors, I guess the team feels like they can help him work on his inadequacies more during their practices and at the same time he can learn more about the rigors of being a pro travelling with the team etc. The team might be right. Who knows? This isn't a black and white science. There aren't too many teams out there who are going to purposely hurt their prospects development.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Or, maybe it is? Rather than send him down to the juniors, I guess the team feels like they can help him work on his inadequacies more during their practices and at the same time he can learn more about the rigors of being a pro travelling with the team etc. The team might be right. Who knows? This isn't a black and white science. There aren't too many teams out there who are going to purposely hurt their prospects development.

but then atleast throw him in some games to see if these things they are working on are actually working haha

IMO there is no way to look at this positively

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
yet another healthy scratch tonight

I have no words haha

....I cant imagine how terrible he will play IF he ever actually does get into a game now anyways. He will be scared to even touch the puck in fear of making a mistake.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
The irony of the scratching may be capuano is writing his own ticket to the unemployment line by his reluctance to trust younger players.

If this happens, barca may be once and for all free.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
The irony of the scratching may be capuano is writing his own ticket to the unemployment line by his reluctance to trust younger players.

If this happens, barca may be once and for all free.

To be fair to "Cappy", even in the shootout the other night, he was just using the players Snow gave him. Can't really the fault the coach for turning to his team's two most recent UFA signings in a must-win situation.

As it was, I thought one of NYI's most dangerous players was Beauvillier. The numbers so far this season support what I saw; he's fast, intelligent and responsible in all three zones. If Barzal had the same traits, he'd be playing too.

Slightly OT: If I had told anyone in this thread a year ago that a trade involving the 4th, 16th and 28th overall picks would see the guy chosen lowest have the best start to his NHL career, folks would have called me crazy. Just goes to show that neither team really knew what they were getting- or trading away- in that deal.

Mathew Barzal

Walk It Like I Tocchet
Jun 5, 2011
Vancouver, BC

If that's the prevailing ideology it's ridiculous. Virtanen barely sees the ice and he does it's clear he's rusty because of lack of exposure to consistent in game situations.

Barzal is going down the same path and its frustrating as hell.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I never saw it mentioned here, but Barzal was battling strep throat. Granted he was getting scratched before it even develops it seems. They should just send him back to the WHL now.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I never saw it mentioned here, but Barzal was battling strep throat. Granted he was getting scratched before it even develops it seems. They should just send him back to the WHL now.

But if he stays in the NHL he can watch Jack Capuano practices.

Last edited:

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Todays game day daily scratch report for Barzal on HFboards....

Scratched once again.. Youd think if there is one team he would get into the lineup,it would be against Vancouver....

But once again, scratched!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad