C/LW Lias Andersson (2017, 7th, NYR, traded to LAK)

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
I'm pretty sure he's AHL bound after the WJC unless he turns it around, he's just a depth player for Frölunda right now. Don't see much progress in his skating, could be an issue.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I'm pretty sure he's AHL bound after the WJC unless he turns it around, he's just a depth player for Frölunda right now. Don't see much progress in his skating, could be an issue.

I might be wrong, but I don't think a player can be sent to the AHL for the season once he is loaned to his European team. He is playing on the 2nd line. Not really a typical depth player.

Luddowich

May 1, 2013
Sweden
I might be wrong, but I don't think a player can be sent to the AHL for the season once he is loaned to his European team. He is playing on the 2nd line. Not really a typical depth player.
Identical situation happened with William Nylander, or well i can't 100% say that they made it clear that they loaned him to Modo for the season.
Anyways he was loaned out at the beginning of the 2014-15 season and then got called over right before christmas.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Identical situation happened with William Nylander, or well i can't 100% say that they made it clear that they loaned him to Modo for the season.
Anyways he was loaned out at the beginning of the 2014-15 season and then got called over right before christmas.

I think it depends on for what term the loan was agreed upon. Maybe someone can help me out here? I have a date in 20 minutes and can't dive into the CBA for this at the moment haha

Jonas1235

Jan 8, 2008
Calgary
he is 18 years old. Why does every 18 year old need to play 20 min a night? He is playing in top mens league. Let him be for the season, come to Rangers camp next season and we'll see.

He's obviously an NHL player, just don't know what he is yet. Could be Rackell, could be Fast.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
he is 18 years old. Why does every 18 year old need to play 20 min a night? He is playing in top mens league. Let him be for the season, come to Rangers camp next season and we'll see.

He's obviously an NHL player, just don't know what he is yet. Could be Rackell, could be Fast.

If you get the latter with the 7OA pick, thats a bad pick. Anything other than a top 6F/top 4D with a top 10 pick is not acceptable.

Reactions: JiggsNY

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
If you get the latter with the 7OA pick, thats a bad pick. Anything other than a top 6F/top 4D with a top 10 pick is not acceptable.
From 6 to 10 you have a hit rate of a top 9 forward or top 4 defender of like 50%. Looking from 2005-12 (feel its too early to judge drafts past that, especially with later picks) here is the average return. I did this in June. Even some of the better scouting staffs are going to occasionally botch high picks. Look at how much everyone praises Tampa's drafting, yet they've drafted two guys who didn't (or don't look on track to) become what you'd expect in Koekkoek and Connolly. The draft outside the very top is generally a crapshoot, and good teams will every so often not convert picks in the 6-10 range into NHLers that aren't easily replaceable.

Superstar (0)

Star (3)

Jakub Voracek
Oliver Ekman-Larsson
Mark Schiefele
Top Line/Top pairing/Starter (5)
Derrick Brassard
Kyle Okposo
Logan Couture
Jeff Skinner
Hampus Lindholm
Top 6/Top 4/fringe starter (8)
Nazem Kadri
Mikael Granlund
Mika Zibanejad
Sean Couturier
Dougie Hamilton
Jonas Brodin
Matthew Dumba
Jacob Trouba
Top 9/5th defender/backup (6)
Devin Setoguichi
Sam Gagner
Colin Wilson
Josh Bailly
Mikkel Boedker
Michael Frolik
4th liner/6th defender/flameout (12)
Gilbert Brule
Jack Skille
Brian Lee
Peter Mueller
James Sheppard
Keaton Ellerby
Cody Hodgson
Jared Cowen
Magnus Paajarvi-Svensson
Brett Connolly
Alexander Burmistrov
Derrick Pouliot
Slater Koekkeok
Outright Bust (4)
Zach Hamil
Nikita Filatov
Scott Glennie
Dylan McIlrath
N/A
Luc Bourdan

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Thats nice research, but my opinion hasn't changed. I didn't say its easy to pick a top 6F/top 4D with a top 10 pick, but if you pick well, you should get one.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Thats nice research, but my opinion hasn't changed. I didn't say its easy to pick a top 6F/top 4D with a top 10 pick, but if you pick well, you should get one.
Yes, but it shouldn't be the consistent expected result. Commonly, the expected return of draft picks tends to be overvalued here. And, I guess it depends on what you define as "not acceptable" is it a firing offense for the scouting director? Even the best scouts are going to occasionally miss in that range. Sometimes for things out of their control such as Peter Mueller and Cody Hodgson never being the same after injuries or they just got a bad read on a player.

It's frustrating when teams miss on high picks, but in general, you should account for the average return of that spot, and not expect an unrealistic return consistently. If a team has a top 10 pick every year, even the best scouting team is probably going to miss on 20% of players in the 6-10 range. The difference between the likelihood of hitting on a top 3 pick compared to a 6-10 range is actually massive, that it might be fairer to group 6-10 in with picks 15-20 than the top 3 in regards to expected returns.

Reactions: Howe Elbows 9

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Yes, but it shouldn't be the consistent expected result. Commonly, the expected return of draft picks tends to be overvalued here. And, I guess it depends on what you define as "not acceptable" is it a firing offense for the scouting director? Even the best scouts are going to occasionally miss in that range. Sometimes for things out of their control such as Peter Mueller and Cody Hodgson never being the same after injuries or they just got a bad read on a player.

It's frustrating when teams miss on high picks, but in general, you should account for the average return of that spot, and not expect an unrealistic return consistently. If a team has a top 10 pick every year, even the best scouting team is probably going to miss on 20% of players in the 6-10 range. The difference between the likelihood of hitting on a top 3 pick compared to a 6-10 range is actually massive, that it might be fairer to group 6-10 in with picks 15-20 than the top 3 in regards to expected returns.

I think the Rangers have done a very good job with our first round picks recently, except McIlrath, so when we have the 7th pick, I expect better than a non-top 6F or top 4D. They got the 7OA player or around that with the 21st pick. Thats an example of really good scouting, I know our scouts are good, which is why I would've liked that with picks 7 and 21. Not a fireable offense, but if Andersson does not turn into a 2nd liner and I'm already conceding he won't be a first liner, I don't think it'll have been a good pick.

DieTomi

Auston "50 Goals" Matthews
Aug 4, 2017
Hamilton
I've been watching Frolunda's games a lot this season to keep my eye on Rasmus Dahlin. Andersson hasn't looked very good so far. Just finished watching them get knocked out of CHL by a Czech team and he looked outmatched every shift he was on the ice. Don't know what it is but the player that was quick to pucks, hard to play against, and could shoot the puck last year seems to have disappeared. He looks like he has no confidence out there; taking bad penalties, losing board battles, holding on to the puck for way too long (this happens quite a bit). He's got a great motor and can be a good support player on a line but right now I have a hard time seeing him as a top 6 player in the NHL. Chytil on the other hand has been outstanding in the few games I've seen this year and I can picture him on the top line in New York for years to come. Rangers fans should be stoked with that pick even if the Andersson pick hasn't live up to expectations.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I've been watching Frolunda's games a lot this season to keep my eye on Rasmus Dahlin. Andersson hasn't looked very good so far. Just finished watching them get knocked out of CHL by a Czech team and he looked outmatched every shift he was on the ice. Don't know what it is but the player that was quick to pucks, hard to play against, and could shoot the puck last year seems to have disappeared. He looks like he has no confidence out there; taking bad penalties, losing board battles, holding on to the puck for way too long (this happens quite a bit). He's got a great motor and can be a good support player on a line but right now I have a hard time seeing him as a top 6 player in the NHL. Chytil on the other hand has been outstanding in the few games I've seen this year and I can picture him on the top line in New York for years to come. Rangers fans should be stoked with that pick even if the Andersson pick hasn't live up to expectations.

It'll be a tough pill to swallow considering we traded Stepan for him and a guy that isn't playing in the NHL.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York

Yup, this is my assessment. I want him to do really well, I just don't yet see it. Still time though, but he does not seem to be ready for a spot with the Rangers next year.

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York
As much as my excitement for Chytil has increased, barely knew him before the draft, my excitement for Andersson is dampening. I was big on Mittelstadt at the draft because I saw more offensive potential, but I figured Lias would be just fine, not that he wont be he'll likely still be a fine player, it's just his numbers are worrying. a clear step back from last year so far.

And for a 6 overall pick I wasn't really happy hearing the most touted aspect be a 200 foot player. I want to draft for high end talent in top 10 and we so rarely have had such high picks.

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
St
As much as my excitement for Chytil has increased, barely knew him before the draft, my excitement for Andersson is dampening. I was big on Mittelstadt at the draft because I saw more offensive potential, but I figured Lias would be just fine, not that he wont be he'll likely still be a fine player, it's just his numbers are worrying. a clear step back from last year so far.

And for a 6 overall pick I wasn't really happy hearing the most touted aspect be a 200 foot player. I want to draft for high end talent in top 10 and we so rarely have had such high picks.
Still too early. I was disappointed when they touted Bo Horvat's best trait as defense at the draft and saying he won't produce as a top 6 forward in the NHL.

Reactions: bert

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
St

Still too early. I was disappointed when they touted Bo Horvat's best trait as defense at the draft and saying he won't produce as a top 6 forward in the NHL.
Thank you. I’ve been saying this but everyone is panicking about Lias. Defensively, he’s top 3 from that draft and I stand by this and I’m sure many will agree. Offensively he’s not close to the top but his hockey IQ is crazy good for someone his age and his shot is also very good. He needs to work on his skating a little though. I think he’s smart enough to figure it out and become a very good player for us, Chytil-Ziba-Lias down the middle for us can be scary good

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Once his skating gets better, the offense will follow and the defensive work will get better.

Skating just...rules everything.

Reactions: Lays

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
From 6 to 10 you have a hit rate of a top 9 forward or top 4 defender of like 50%. Looking from 2005-12 (feel its too early to judge drafts past that, especially with later picks) here is the average return. I did this in June. Even some of the better scouting staffs are going to occasionally botch high picks. Look at how much everyone praises Tampa's drafting, yet they've drafted two guys who didn't (or don't look on track to) become what you'd expect in Koekkoek and Connolly. The draft outside the very top is generally a crapshoot, and good teams will every so often not convert picks in the 6-10 range into NHLers that aren't easily replaceable.

Outright Bust (4)
Zach Hamil
Nikita Filatov
Scott Glennie
Dylan McIlrath
N/A
Luc Bourdan

Aren't you being a little hard on Luc Bourdon calling him a bust?

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
Mostly snakebitten this season his play from what I've seen at least hasn't been underwhelming. Pretty confident he will have a good outing at the WJC.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Another goal today, was pretty sick and showed off his hands. I don’t know how to post vids on here though. On fire right now

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad