C/LW Lias Andersson (2017, 7th, NYR, traded to LAK)

Make It Biznasty*

Jul 18, 2012
This is a pretty dumb statement. So what you're saying is since Patrick cant be a 1C (which he definitely can) that no one else drafted below him can? Lias can probably pass for a 3C right now, saying you see 3C potential in him "if all goes well" is a dumb statement. Sure, it's unlikely he can become a 1C like I originally said but don't count him out. His offense is very underrated

probably not

thelittlecoon

ELIAS PETTERSSON
Jun 19, 2017
Vancouver
I think he's a great player but he's getting hyped way too much right now based off exhibition games. Excited to see his development though, his play reminds me of Horvat.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
"If all goes well" = "If he makes the NHL as a regular", which isn't even a given.

If anything is dumb, it's saying he would be more likely to be 1C than a 3C at NHL level.

You claimed his ceiling was a 3C. I think thats very evident in your post.

You are now trying to back off that?

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
Great tournament for Lias. He's shown that he deserves a look for an NHL spot this year.

As a Rangers fan, I project a surefire middle 6, 45-50 point, two-way center.

I'd say Hischier, Patrick, Glass, and Andersson all stay up this season.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
You claimed his ceiling was a 3C. I think thats very evident in your post.

You are now trying to back off that?

That's not what I said. I said that I can see some 3C potential in him. Is that the same thing to you? To begin with, one statement is far more open ended than another.

The Sweetness

Jul 15, 2010
Stockholm
That's not what I said. I said that I can see some 3C potential in him. Is that the same thing to you? To begin with, one statement is far more open ended than another.
What are you talking about? You literally wrote that you saw 3rd line center potential if everything goes well. That implies ceiling.

I can definitely see some 3C potential for him in NHL if all goes well.
Just clarify what you meant if you feel you didn't write clear enough.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
What are you talking about? You literally wrote that you saw 3rd line center potential if everything goes well. That implies ceiling.

Just clarify what you meant if you feel you didn't write clear enough.
I meant that I can see the potential of a 3C in him. Isn't that exactly what you quoted?

I didn't talk about ceilings at all. I did not say that he's never going to be able to be a 2C, or that that's his ceiling.

At its core, what I said is actually entirely positive in nature. It doesn't have "he can't this or that" at all so it'd be great if you could stop jumping on it. And that's what I mean with "open ended" rather than "absolute".

Because if he does end up becoming a 2C, I'm actually not going to be wrong, unlike in the case if I'd have said that 3C is his ceiling.

And mind you, "ceiling" to me as a concept is something that's essentially never reached and hence mostly a waste of time to talk about.

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
I meant that I can see the potential of a 3C in him. Isn't that exactly what you quoted?

I didn't talk about ceilings at all. I did not say that he's never going to be able to be a 2C, or that that's his ceiling.

At its core, what I said is actually entirely positive in nature. It doesn't have "he can't this or that" at all so it'd be great if you could stop jumping on it. And that's what I mean with "open ended" rather than "absolute".

Because if he does end up becoming a 2C, I'm actually not going to be wrong, unlike in the case if I'd have said that 3C is his ceiling.

And mind you, "ceiling" to me as a concept is something that's essentially never reached and hence mostly a waste of time to talk about.

So, just to clarify, it seems like what you meant is you doubt he'll ever be better than a 3C, if even that, but you wanna leave it open ended so you don't look stupid when you're wrong.

:laugh:

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York

"If all goes well" would seem to indicate a best case scenario or at least a good scenario, which is considered a ceiling or close to it. I think most would say that if things go well, Andersson could be a 1B center. If they don't go well, a 3C.

I don't know if you made a mistake due to English not being your first language, if thats the case, or what the problem here is, but you certainly threw some shade at Andersson.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
He has shined as Sweden's best forward throughout this tourney now. And was the best forward on both Team Canada and Sweden IMO (this includes Steel who also played pretty well).

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Another goal today. Lias is definitely playing amazing but I have mixed feelings about it. Still think he needs 1 more year in Sweden but with the Rangers lacking C depth I think he might start out as the 3C.
Zib-Hayes-DD-Nieves as it stands and obviously that center depth is bottom 5. Unless the Rangers are high on Nieves right now and think that DD can be a good 3C (doubtful for both) I think he is our 3C this year.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Another goal today. Lias is definitely playing amazing but I have mixed feelings about it. Still think he needs 1 more year in Sweden but with the Rangers lacking C depth I think he might start out as the 3C.
Zib-Hayes-DD-Nieves as it stands and obviously that center depth is bottom 5. Unless the Rangers are high on Nieves right now and think that DD can be a good 3C (doubtful for both) I think he is our 3C this year.

Yeah, unless we add another center, Lias will make the team, if he's ready.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
I have really liked what I have seen from Lias. He plays the whole ice and seems to have a good nose for the net.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
He's a great prospect, again really underrated draft. But he should absolutely play in Sweden for another season. Long term, it will be most beneficial for everyone. It will develop his offensive game more. If he plays in the NHL next season, he won't get the same scoring chances.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
No, he wont. He should stay 1+ years. Stop weighing too much on exebition games

If the Rangers decide he is, he stays. The team is trying to win this year. They aren't going to have Desharnais as the 3C and Nieves the 4C. Maybe if we acquire a center in a trade, this equation changes.

I think the chances he plays this season with the Rangers is over 50%, likely close to 75%.

Even if we acquire another center, he's probably our 4th best center, anyway. Maybe we could go with Desharnais as the 4 and Nieves the 5, but even then, they might still prefer Andersson.

Blame the GM for how poorly constructed the team is. I completely agree with you, but I'm telling you how things stand with the Rangers. It doesn't seem very likely he won't play with the Rangers this season. The 9 game thing usually applies to teams that are not competing for the playoffs or are competing, but have enough depth that they don't need to keep a player. That doesn't apply with us. We are contending and have poor depth at Andersson's position. If Andersson doesn't stay, its probably because we've acquired another center, and they decide to go with a weak 4 and 5 centers.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
I agree with those saying he needs more time. I haven't seen a player on any team in the tournament which looks NHL ready except for maybe Hughes and Dahlin.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
If the Rangers decide he is, he stays. The team is trying to win this year. They aren't going to have Desharnais as the 3C and Nieves the 4C. Maybe if we acquire a center in a trade, this equation changes.

I think the chances he plays this season with the Rangers is over 50%, likely close to 75%.

Even if we acquire another center, he's probably our 4th best center, anyway. Maybe we could go with Desharnais as the 4 and Nieves the 5, but even then, they might still prefer Andersson.

Blame the GM for how poorly constructed the team is.
I completely agree with you, but I'm telling you how things stand with the Rangers. It doesn't seem very likely he won't play with the Rangers this season. The 9 game thing usually applies to teams that are not competing for the playoffs or are competing, but have enough depth that they don't need to keep a player. That doesn't apply with us. We are contending and have poor depth at Andersson's position. If Andersson doesn't stay, its probably because we've acquired another center, and they decide to go with a weak 4 and 5 centers.

Good lord get off the soapbox. All over HF with you and this agenda

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Good lord get off the soapbox. All over HF with you and this agenda

Its a very average roster that just added some more big contracts, needed to buy out a contract and add more cap problems in the upcoming seasons to do so. It has perhaps the worst contract in the NHL in net who's struggled the last two seasons, another terrible contract on defense, missing a 1C.

Its a problem roster. The GM is trying to win right now with a roster that isn't capable of winning the Cup. When this team inevitably fails, he'll shift the blame again by firing AV and buying out Staal, creating more cap problems. No one will point the finger at him for refusing to do what this team needed, which was rebuilding.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad