C/LW Lias Andersson (2017, 7th, NYR, traded to LAK)

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Good player and should be a good one but ill forever remember what he did when discussing him. Doesnt make me like him or hate him more, its just the first thing i think of now and cant help but think if him as a little cry baby.

Im more mad about the fact they went and got it back from the fan and gave it back to Lias. That part annoyed me. Especially due to the fact in post game interview he admitted he didnt regret throwing it in the crowd at all

Ahhh well

Reactions: Kelly

MarVell

Jan 10, 2014
Don’t think what he did was that big of a deal, but people defending it by saying he’s a kid kinda baffles me. He’s an adult, no doubt about it.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I actually like that he was visibly butt-hurt. It's no fun to vanquish an opponent who doesn't care that they lost. In my opinion it's actually being more of a poor sport if you celebrate like Time's Square on victory day when you win, and try to pretend like the tournament doesn't matter at all when you lose.

This is why I will always love playing against the Russians, even if the US is now the more credible threat to Canadian hegemony in the hockey world. They wear their hearts on their sleeves and play the perfect villain. It gives such meaning to the games.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
It's the performative nature of the gesture that I think rubs people the wrong way. When you consider the difference between chucking in privately and chucking it publicly that's where the interesting conversation lives.

Reactions: Kelly

Matte99

May 23, 2010
Stockholm
Three thoughts:

1) this shows a total lack of humility and respect for your teammates
2) Even a 21 year old PK would say that this deserved a rating of 5/5 classless subbans
3) If he was a leaf prospect, this thread would be on page 79 by now and this event would be a huge character flaw and major controversy.

grow up kid.
Yeah, he gave his medal away to a fan. What was he thinking... The kid is a class act and loved by his team mates and coaches. He didnt turn on his team mates, he didnt treat anyone with disrespect. He took off a medal and gave it to a fan. Leaf fans would have adored him!

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Good player and should be a good one but ill forever remember what he did when discussing him. Doesnt make me like him or hate him more, its just the first thing i think of now and cant help but think if him as a little cry baby.

Im more mad about the fact they went and got it back from the fan and gave it back to Lias. That part annoyed me. Especially due to the fact in post game interview he admitted he didnt regret throwing it in the crowd at all

Ahhh well

If I was in the stands and I caught the medal, I would be looking to give it back. I didn't earn it.

I personally find it a shame that Bronze medal winners are happier to get their medal than Silver medal winners. But, that's the reality of brackets vs a swim/track meet where you narrow the field after 4 or 6 heats to get to the final 8 contestants.

Almost seems like they should give Silver medals out to the 2 Semi-Final winners and then in the gold medal game, each team brings their silvers with a box and the winning team gets to exchange their Silvers for Gold.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Talk about Sportsmanship. After he threw out the medal, he stood next to the podium and hugged every Canadian player after they took their gold medal and congratulated them. But sure, he is a POS because he didnt want his silver medal...

If a Canadian kid tossed his silver everybody would be praising his "passion" and "will to win", because it's Gold Or Bust Baby!

This medal-gate fiaso is a nothingburger. He's a kid. He'll regret it. He did something dumb like kids do. Let's just get over it.

By all other accounts, Lias is a fine kid.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
Kid didn’t want a medal that would just remind him of an L. Can’t blame him. These talks of class are a joke. Who’s classy when they’re pissed off?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Momentary lapse in judgement, can we leave it at that?

I always hated the Tournaments where they give the losers medals/trophies immediately after the game when they haven't had time to compose themselves. Hockey is an emotional game...give them some time to decompress.

TheTwelfth

Jan 6, 2014
The Tardis
If a Canadian kid tossed his silver everybody would be praising his "passion" and "will to win", because it's Gold Or Bust Baby!

This medal-gate fiaso is a nothingburger. He's a kid. He'll regret it. He did something dumb like kids do. Let's just get over it.

By all other accounts, Lias is a fine kid.

I dont know what there is to regret. He got the medal back.

I wonder if NYR would prefer if Marc Messier had said: "I cant guarantee we win tomorrow, and you know what, if we lose I will still be really proud because it will have been a great achievement."

I think Lias has a shot at becoming a future captain for the Rangers, given that his development continues along his current trajectory.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
I understand being disappointed in the moment. I would be rattled to my core. Throwing the medal though? Very immature no matter how you look at it.

I love the competitive nature and by all accounts he is a great prospect. There are better ways to show competitiveness, though.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Momentary lapse in judgement, can we leave it at that?

I always hated the Tournaments where they give the losers medals/trophies immediately after the game when they haven't had time to compose themselves. Hockey is an emotional game...give them some time to decompress.

Again, let's remember that in reality both teams earned a Silver by winning their Semi-Final game.

This game was about being able to upgrade the Silver to a Gold.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
momentary over reaction by a kid. no big deal except that every chirper in the league will be reminding him of it for the rest of his career.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
I understand being disappointed in the moment. I would be rattled to my core. Throwing the medal though? Very immature no matter how you look at it.

I love the competitive nature and by all accounts he is a great prospect. There are better ways to show competitiveness, though.
It is very common in hockey where players do this, I wouldn't want someone handing me some garbage that is telling me that I'm a loser either. People can call this immature, but I don't think Lias Andersson gives a crap or will even think of it as immature when he's older. It's just going to be some piece of crap laying around his house. I think he did it right there because he was going to directly throw it in the garbage and would rather give it to someone that cares about some stupid tournament medal. He also probably didn't want that thing by him at all.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
It is very common in hockey where players do this, I wouldn't want someone handing me some garbage that is telling me that I'm a loser either. People can call this immature, but I don't think Lias Andersson gives a crap or will even think of it as immature when he's older. It's just going to be some piece of crap laying around his house. I think he did it right there because he was going to directly throw it in the garbage and would rather give it to someone that cares about some stupid tournament medal. He also probably didn't want that thing by him at all.

I couldn't disagree more.

Many players over the years have talked about how much a silver and bronze medal has meant to them years down the road, even though it didn't mean much at all to them at the time.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
Im what way? He took the medal, shook hands, took it off and if you look at the video, you can see the fans standing up as if they want it. He isnt randomly throwing it... I hate soar losers that acts out but as far as acting out goes this was nothing. He gave the medal away. This kid is a class act and i feel like lots of people are assuming he is randomly throwing it and having a fit. He isn't.
oh wait a minute there matte99, don't undersell me. You are missing a few steps in your plot line here, first of all, he didn't even want the medal hung on him, he didn't even want to be associated with it, he went to grab it with his hand and the guy who was awarding it wouldn't have any of that garbage. The only person associated with that team that benefited from him chucking that medal was lias himself. It was completely selfish, I don't care if you have 10 silver medals, have some more respect for your teammates and country.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Randos on reddit are not deemed good sources per the forum rules.

8) Claims of Insider Information/ Rumors & Hearsay: If you're an insider, contact us with proof BEFORE you post. These posts will be allowed/rejected at the discretion of administrators after consulting with other posters, moderators, and relevant sources. Deference will be given to veteran members who have established credibility. It's not acceptable to post that you heard someone has a drinking/drug/sex/personal problem from a "good" source. Do not post information that can be considered defamatory without a link to a credible media source. Other forums, personal websites, amateur/unvetted blogs, hearsay, and personal testimonials are not considered credible.

Knock it off with the personal stuff too.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
oh wait a minute there matte99, don't undersell me. You are missing a few steps in your plot line here, first of all, he didn't even want the medal hung on him, he didn't even want to be associated with it, he went to grab it with his hand and the guy who was awarding it wouldn't have any of that garbage. The only person associated with that team that benefited from him chucking that medal was lias himself. It was completely selfish, I don't care if you have 10 silver medals, have some more respect for your teammates and country.
I haven't heard a single peep about how disrespectful he is from any of his team mates or any Swede. In fact I've even seen plenty on the hockey media defending him

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad