C/LW Anton Lundell - IFK Helsinki, Liiga (2020, 12th, FLA) Part2

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
For sure the injury didn’t help. I just find it hard to understand how a 17 year old complete C with decent size dropped outside of the top 10. Especially considering his U18 season in Liiga was almost identical to Puljujarvi and Kotkaniemi who both went top 4.
There was a lot of skepticism that his scoring would translate and that he'd be able to keep up at the NHL level with his skating (wide turns, lacks agility).

Reactions: JabbaJabba

danktopshelf

Dec 23, 2014
NYC
Wow has this kid been good. Would easily be over 50 points already if he didn't miss time with injury and illness. If Lundell doesn't develop another iota, he's already better than Trochek was. Absolute thievery at 12. Easily top 5 in a redraft. The National got this guy wrong.

danktopshelf

Dec 23, 2014
NYC
I know it's a good team, but his +30 is also absurd considering he plays PK. He plays minimal PP time. His ceiling might be Barkov, and his floor is better than KK or Ryan Strome.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I know it's a good team, but his +30 is also absurd considering he plays PK. He plays minimal PP time. His ceiling might be Barkov, and his floor is better than KK or Ryan Strome.
Nothing to do with Lundell - but you don't get minuses in plus/minus from goals against on the PK, although you do get pluses from shorthanded goals. So simply being on the PK tends to help with plus/minus. It's a very convoluted stat. 5v5 +/- is more trustworthy.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Playing PK and playing minimal PP is favorable for plus/minus. Players who play PK but don't play PP tend to have highest plus/minus because they get credit for all short-handed goals for, but don't get punished by the shorthanded goals against.

Similarly, defending a lead late leads to and inflated plus/minus because you're far more likely to score an empty net goal than the opponents are to score without a goalie. If you also never are chasing the game 6v5 without a goalie, you don't get the minuses.

As such, plus/minus always favors defensive players who don't bring much value in PP, making it a biased stat with limited usefulness.

Of course, Lundell's plus/minus still is impressive, but him playing PK and getting minimal PP time actually favors a better plus/minus.

danktopshelf

Dec 23, 2014
NYC
Fair enough. But this dude is a stud. Huge part of the best 3rd line in hockey (Marchment, Lundell, Reinhart). Where would he go in a 2020 redraft? I don't see him getting out of the top 5 or at worst top 7 when this is all over.

Reactions: simonedvinsson

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Fair enough. But this dude is a stud. Huge part of the best 3rd line in hockey (Marchment, Lundell, Reinhart). Where would he go in a 2020 redraft? I don't see him getting out of the top 5 or at worst top 7 when this is all over.

He looks like a future Selke winner & right now he’s the best player from his draft

He’s not going to be the highest scorer from his draft but will make the biggest impact

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
The draft pundits saying that Perfetti or Rossi were the ones to take, while this guying playing great hockey in a men's league was just this oafish, clumsy skater with a low ceiling. We'll see how things turn out, but he looks like Mikko Koivu V2 right now, if not better. You take that all day long.
Meanwhile, Rossi is playing well in the AHL and has had health problems, but has mediocre speed, strength, and size. Also can't win a FO to save his life. Haven't kept up with Perfetti.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
The draft pundits saying that Perfetti or Rossi were the ones to take, while this guying playing great hockey in a men's league was just this oafish, clumsy skater with a low ceiling. We'll see how things turn out, but he looks like Mikko Koivu V2 right now, if not better. You take that all day long.
Meanwhile, Rossi is playing well in the AHL and has had health problems, but has mediocre speed, strength, and size. Also can't win a FO to save his life. Haven't kept up with Perfetti.

Offensively he’s much more gifted.

I can’t think of a 20y C who has broken into the league the same way.
From game 1 he’s been on #1pk unit and taking key defensive zone face offs.

Reactions: danktopshelf

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

Top 3. Lundell Raymond Stutzle, pick your poison. I think when it's all said and done they'll be amongst the best in this class.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland

What a heck?
Yeah it is only pre-season so these type tests aren't surprising.
And if i'm not totally wrong Lundell played W in 2021 IIHF worlds and did well on that role.

So who knows maybe Lundell would be OK winger in NHL
but that only tells Lundell's versatility as a player ( can play C / W )

Eegs

Jan 9, 2018
BC

What a heck?
And if i'm not totally wrong Lundell played W in 2021 IIHF worlds and did well on that role.

I don't think a center, especially a smart, 2-way player like Lundell would have trouble playing wing. To me, it's a question of whether it makes sense to move him when he likely carries more value to the team as a center.

Reactions: Jaska

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I don't think a center, especially a smart, 2-way player like Lundell would have trouble playing wing. To me, it's a question of whether it makes sense to move him when he likely carries more value to the team as a center.
Reinhart has more value at center too, and arguably plays better there. But Florida has been playing him at wing too.

I don’t think they care if it “carries more value” since they don’t plan on trading him.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
True.
Lundell is versatile player and smart too as you mentioned so playing winger shouldn't be issue for Anton.
But he was drafted as a center so lets see how long Lundell plays winger
it is only a pre-season still so nothing isn't set in stone

Reactions: Eegs

Eegs

Jan 9, 2018
BC
Reinhart has more value at center too, and arguably plays better there. But Florida has been playing him at wing too.

I don’t think they care if it “carries more value” since they don’t plan on trading him.
I said 'value to the team' not in terms of trade value.

Reactions: bert

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

He doesn't mean in a trade. It's the use of his skillet.

Reactions: Eegs

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

What a heck?

He’ll be a C 100%.

Barkov
Lundell

Is new version of Bergeron- Krejci

Reactions: evolutionbaby

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo

What a heck?

He in fact wasn’t playing at all that well as a winger in the 2021 WHC tournament. Thank God he played only a couple of games in that role until Jalonen seemed to agree and switched him back to center, and since that he played absolutely great in the tournament. Lundell seems to be quite much like Kotkaniemi in that, that both of them seem to play a lot better as centers, and they both are pretty much lost as wingers. Seems like Maurice the moron is running wild again though…

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
He in fact wasn’t playing at all that well as a winger in the 2021 WHC tournament. Thank God he played only a couple of games in that role until Jalonen seemed to agree and switched him back to center, and since that he played absolutely great in the tournament. Lundell seems to be quite much like Kotkaniemi in that, that both of them seem to play a lot better as centers, and they both are pretty much lost as wingers. Seems like Maurice the moron is running wild again though…
Yeah what an asshat of a coach for trying him 1 game on wing in a preseason. Season over.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Yeah what an asshat of a coach for trying him 1 game on wing in a preseason. Season over.
Just seen his asshatting for years already. I’m honestly extremely disappointed in Florida hiring Maurice as the coach. Mr. Mediocrity with way too much stupidity. If you want to waste the best years of your best players, then by all means, hire Maurice. But what you will get is mediocrity and some real frustrating coaching. You will see unfortunately…

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Just seen his asshatting for years already. I’m honestly extremely disappointed in Florida hiring Maurice as the coach. Mr. Mediocrity with way too much stupidity. If you want to waste the best years of your best players, then by all means, hire Maurice. But what you will get is mediocrity and some real frustrating coaching. You will see unfortunately…
Maurice >>>>>>>>>>>> Brunette. Grilled cheese >>> Brunette.

Reactions: MichaelFarrell

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Maurice >>>>>>>>>>>> Brunette. Grilled cheese >>> Brunette.
Sorry to say, but even how disappointing the last playoffs were for the Panthers, Brunette impressed me much more than Maurice has ever done. Sure he made some rookie coach mistakes, but showed also way more potential than Maurice ever did. Maurice may not be the worst coach in the NHL, but there for sure aren’t many worse than him either. Absolutely no possibility for any real success with him as the coach.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad