C/LW Anton Lundell - IFK Helsinki, Liiga (2020, 12th, FLA) Part2

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Helps to be on one of the best teams in the league
Sure, but it goes both ways - Lundell is part of the reason why Panthers are one of the best teams in the league. The Marchment-Lundell-Reinhart line has to be the best "third line" in the league, and Lundell has the third highest PK icetime of all NHL forwards, allowing us to ease Barkov's SH icetime. While the PK results are a bit meh, just the fact that he has been trusted with the role as a rookie speaks volumes.
Even more impressive, his numbers are as good as they are despite playing just under 30 PP minutes this year. And it's not that he is bad at the job - he has the second most PP points per 60 among the Panthers, behind just Huberdeau - he just hasn't been given the opportunity.

Snowsii

Jan 6, 2014
Sure, but it goes both ways - Lundell is part of the reason why Panthers are one of the best teams in the league. The Marchment-Lundell-Reinhart line has to be the best "third line" in the league, and Lundell has the third highest PK icetime of all NHL forwards, allowing us to ease Barkov's SH icetime. While the PK results are a bit meh, just the fact that he has been trusted with the role as a rookie speaks volumes.
Even more impressive, his numbers are as good as they are despite playing just under 30 PP minutes this year. And it's not that he is bad at the job - he has the second most PP points per 60 among the Panthers, behind just Huberdeau - he just hasn't been given the opportunity.
Yep.. like Raymond, who plays with Larkin and also is on pp1..

Lundell should easily have +10 points from pp, if he had chance to play more pp

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Top 2 for me. Not that it can't or won't change, but right now I'd have the #1 spot between Lundell and Raymond.

It's way too early for any top 2 redraft as players development isn't linear by any means and some of the top prospects are still in college and/or getting their feet wet.

His production has been great but so also has been his setting in Florida.

I liked him alot as a prospect and his development has been great and he could very well turn out to be a top 2 player from this draft but anyone making any claims right now is basically stat watching and not much else.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
It's way too early for any top 2 redraft as players development isn't linear by any means and some of the top prospects are still in college and/or getting their feet wet.

I liked him alot as a prospect and his development has been great and he could very well turn out to be a top 2 player from this draft but anyone making any claims right now is basically stat watching and not much else.

For sure early for redrafts.

But on Lundell, I see a potential 2way 1C who will be a beast with the puck, he already plays like a vet

Reactions: Mase

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
For sure early for redrafts.

But on Lundell, I see a potential 2way 1C who will be a beast with the puck, he already plays like a vet

Sure that could happen but that still takes a ton of projection.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I wouldn’t say a ton, he’s already the 2nd best C on Florida as a rookie.

By no means a sure bet but he’s showing that’s his potential.

Pretty insane for Florida to run with Barkov-Lundell in the middle for the next 10 years

Sam Bennett is their second line center and he plays more than Lundell, let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

If Lundell develops like you think sure that will turn out great but ask us Canuck fans how EP looked after his rookie year then there have been issues.

ijuka

May 14, 2016

Wrong, Lundell even plays PK. It's not "stat watching". Look up on some eye tests.

Of course he could be top 2 in a redraft. Naturally, when new info comes by and others pass him then they can be ahead of him in a later redraft, but at this point there's no reason why he could not be top 2 in a redraft. He definitely is the most complete package out of every single player of the draft at this point in time.

LaMasquerade

Mar 11, 2018
Tampere
Yes, way too early days, but so far, from that draft (which was marketed by major media as "tank for Laf"), I have been most impressed by Lundell.

A bit off topic, but wait for next year and Aatu Raty.. I've had same vibes watching him vs watching Anton in his last Liiga year.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Sam Bennett is their second line center and he plays more than Lundell, let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

If Lundell develops like you think sure that will turn out great but ask us Canuck fans how EP looked after his rookie year then there have been issues.

I’ve watched all their games and Lundell is more valuable to them and has been more consistent.

Never did I speal in quarantees, but everything he has done post draft& how his development has been skyrocketing screams potential 1C 2way C.

Sure he could go Pettersson way but they have nothing in similar from what I can tell and Lundell has Barkov as his mentor

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Wrong, Lundell even plays PK. It's not "stat watching". Look up on some eye tests.

Of course he could be top 2 in a redraft. Naturally, when new info comes by and others pass him then they can be ahead of him in a later redraft, but at this point there's no reason why he could not be top 2 in a redraft. He definitely is the most complete package out of every single player of the draft at this point in time.

New info is basically stats.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
New info is basically stats.
? That's like saying the game of hockey is "basically stats". Might as well not watch the games at all, they're "basically stats".

New info is something like, players playing in the league and performing well in the league.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
? That's like saying the game of hockey is "basically stats". Might as well not watch the games at all, they're "basically stats".

New info is something like, players playing in the league and performing well in the league.

The thing is that Lundell is a mature player and we are exactly 2 seasons out of that draft and a thing called Covid was also around.

Saying that he is the top 2 for the draft basically means nothing at this point.

But feel free to do so if it makes you feel good.

that and 5 bucks, er 7 bucks Canadian now, will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
The thing is that Lundell is a mature player and we are exactly 2 seasons out of that draft and a thing called Covid was also around.

Saying that he is the top 2 for the draft basically means nothing at this point.

But feel free to do so if it makes you feel good.

that and 5 bucks, er 7 bucks Canadian now, will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks.
Lundell is 20 years old and he's a mature player now?

It definitely does not mean nothing if he is a top 2 player for the draft right now. That's like saying pre-draft play means nothing and that players shouldn't even be drafted because what they do before draft means nothing.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Lundell is 20 years old and he's a mature player now?

It definitely does not mean nothing if he is a top 2 player for the draft right now. That's like saying pre-draft play means nothing and that players shouldn't even be drafted because what they do before draft means nothing.

He is mature for his draft group, that was apparent on draft day and his floor was already pretty much established and he was physically advanced compared to guys in his draft.

Like I said before go ahead and determine your belief, just don't put too much stock into any draft conclusions 2 years out from any draft.

If one looks seriously at the draft there are already 5 or 6 guys who could emerge as top 2 players in this draft and that number will ebb and flow and in 2 years or so we will have a better idea.

Lundell still looks like a great pick at where he was taken and I think he will stay at that level and probably go higher in a redraft but 2nd is premature at this point.

It's like you are at the nightclub close to 2am and have had a few and someone smiles across the floor and your excitement level hits the roof but as you get closer clarity sometimes sets in...but sometimes not until the next day eh?

Reactions: Colezuki

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
He is mature for his draft group, that was apparent on draft day and his floor was already pretty much established and he was physically advanced compared to guys in his draft.

Like I said before go ahead and determine your belief, just don't put too much stock into any draft conclusions 2 years out from any draft.

If one looks seriously at the draft there are already 5 or 6 guys who could emerge as top 2 players in this draft and that number will ebb and flow and in 2 years or so we will have a better idea.

Lundell still looks like a great pick at where he was taken and I think he will stay at that level and probably go higher in a redraft but 2nd is premature at this point.

It's like you are at the nightclub close to 2am and have had a few and someone smiles across the floor and your excitement level hits the roof but as you get closer clarity sometimes sets in...but sometimes not until the next day eh?
I have the same argument when we talk about any draft <2 years. Half the guys haven't even made it to the league yet, if you look at the 2003 draft Weber didn't play a full season until 2006-2007. If guys take 4 years to get there but have the higher ceiling you always take the higher ceiling.

That said agree with your close, Lundell looks like a great pick and the panthers are lucky to have him.

Reactions: wetcoast

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Lundell is great and yes, top 3 pick in that draft. I don’t care if it’s early, I’m speaking atm.

I REALLY wanted the Jets to take him (or Jarvis) at 10 OA but once I saw Perfetti falling I knew the Jets would go with the faller. Love Perfetti too, but Lundell is the complete package.

NHL scouts often let Euro league players drop and it boggles my mind. Lundell’s draft year production was incredible, and his 200ft was well rounded at 17. Scouts should have known better and almost a dozen scouting staffs look stupid right now. Happened with Tarasenko too years ago. Teenagers who preform in top pro leagues overseas almost always hit in the NHL. CHL kids have historically been overvalued in comparison.

I hope Lundell keeps it going. He certainly makes players around him better and soon he’ll be getting even more ice and even more opportunities on a supremely talented team.

• Love
Reactions: Vasilevskiy

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
Lundell is great and yes, top 3 pick in that draft. I don’t care if it’s early, I’m speaking atm.

I REALLY wanted the Jets to take him (or Jarvis) at 10 OA but once I saw Perfetti falling I knew the Jets would go with the faller. Love Perfetti too, but Lundell is the complete package.

NHL scouts often let Euro league players drop and it boggles my mind. Lundell’s draft year production was incredible, and his 200ft was well rounded at 17. Scouts should have known better and almost a dozen scouting staffs look stupid right now. Happened with Tarasenko too years ago. Teenagers who preform in top pro leagues overseas almost always hit in the NHL. CHL kids have historically been overvalued in comparison.

I hope Lundell keeps it going. He certainly makes players around him better and soon he’ll be getting even more ice and even more opportunities on a supremely talented team.
There was lack of exposure because of his injury and his game took big steps after his draft year. Think Sebastian Aho had similar developement curve, but way less exposure. Lundell was 2nd and matchup C at their WJC winning team year before his draft. His performance was incredible and scouts didn’t put a lot of weight in it. Watching Lundell this year and you’ll see how he is going to be awesome NHL player for a very long time.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
There was lack of exposure because of his injury and his game took big steps after his draft year. Think Sebastian Aho had similar developement curve, but way less exposure. Lundell was 2nd and matchup C at their WJC winning team year before his draft. His performance was incredible and scouts didn’t put a lot of weight in it. Watching Lundell this year and you’ll see how he is going to be awesome NHL player for a very long time.
For sure the injury didn’t help. I just find it hard to understand how a 17 year old complete C with decent size dropped outside of the top 10. Especially considering his U18 season in Liiga was almost identical to Puljujarvi and Kotkaniemi who both went top 4.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad