C Kirby Dach (2019, 3rd, CHI)

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
yeah I'd agree he didn't make Drai disappear. However on the statistical note, Dach's 67.35 xGF% based on EH was the best on Chicago

Oiler fans love Dach he’s a local boy and was our consensus target for our pick at the draft, I visited the Hawks board right after the draft and so did Oiler fans. My buddies and I who were watching the draft turned to each other and said great pick the moment Dach was selected by the Hawks. Don’t forget the media beat up the Hawks for that pick, many in Western Canada who knew of Dach loved it.

We saw how he played against Prince Albert in the WHL playoffs (ironically, Draisiatl’s WHL team some years prior — Colliton as well).

Drai owned that limited time matchup though, it’s a false narrative about Dach v Draisaitl. Still love Dach though, knew these conflicted feelings would happen lol

Honestly when he’s 6’4 225+ at 23 years old and can skate like that with his attention to detail, easy to see him as a future shut down Selke winner with a dominant upside.

He’s my favourite player from the 2019 draft and I was beating the drum on draft day that he’d be the best forward from his class. Nothing has changed that. I bet my posts right after the draft are still on HF Hawks.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Oiler fans love Dach he’s a local boy and was our consensus target for our pick at the draft, I visited the Hawks board right after the draft and so did Oiler fans. My buddies and I who were watching the draft turned to each other and said great pick the moment Dach was selected by the Hawks. Don’t forget the media beat up the Hawks for that pick, many in Western Canada who knew of Dach loved it.

We saw how he played against Prince Albert in the WHL playoffs (ironically, Draisiatl’s WHL team some years prior — Colliton as well).

Drai owned that limited time matchup though, it’s a false narrative about Dach v Draisaitl. Still love Dach though, knew these conflicted feelings would happen lol

Honestly when he’s 6’4 225+ at 23 years old and can skate like that with his attention to detail, easy to see him as a future shut down Selke winner with a dominant upside.

He’s my favourite player from the 2019 draft and I was beating the drum on draft day that he’d be the best forward from his class. Nothing has changed that. I bet my posts right after the draft are still on HF Hawks.
I know that a few Oilers fans posted in our thread after the pick, but for whatever reason, you're the only poster I can remember off hand.

But your comments there, and in this thread, certainly helped calm my ass down after being slightly pissed we had passed on one of Turcotte or Byram. It was greatly appreciated at the time.

Last edited:
Reactions: snipes

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I know a few Oilers fans who posted in our thread after the pick, but for whatever reason, you're the only poster I can remember off hand.

But your comments there, and in this thread, certainly helped calm my ass down after being slightly pissed we had passed on one of Turcotte or Byram. It was greatly appreciated at the time.

Thanks bro, I remember chatting with you and a few others. It was sincere then like it is now.

You guys got a tough, high character, alpha male player. Dach is a straight up beast, he’ll be a future Selke winner. A bigger, more skilled Toews/Couturier. Better skater than them both as well.

Dach will legitimately be 225-230ish at 6’4 when he fills into his man body. With that size, character, skill, speed, and hockey IQ/attention to detail it’s easy to be giddy. If I was Kane, Dach would become my best friend very quickly.

He’s awesome, he has so much love in Western Canada for him (minus this series). I think we even got into the Western Canada/Chicago Outfit connection back in the day on HFHawks. Chicago is our kind of city, tough like we are out here.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Thanks bro, I remember chatting with you and a few others. It was sincere then like it is now.

You guys got a tough, high character, alpha male player. Dach is a straight up beast, he’ll be a future Selke winner. A bigger, more skilled Toews/Couturier. Better skater than them both as well.

Dach will legitimately be 225-230ish at 6’4 when he fills into his man body. With that size, character, skill, speed, and hockey IQ/attention to detail it’s easy to be giddy. If I was Kane, Dach would become my best friend very quickly.

He’s awesome, he has so much love in Western Canada for him (minus this series). I think we even got into the Western Canada/Chicago Outfit connection back in the day on HFHawks. Chicago is our kind of city, tough like we are out here.
a 6'4 220 Kirby Dach will be impossible to stop.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
a 6'4 220 Kirby Dach will be impossible to stop.

Dach is going to be a perennial 70+ point player, but most importantly doing this while being an elite defensive assignment conscious player.

He’s already a handful as a teenager, when he fills into his man body and grows from a lanky puppy into a thoroughbred he’ll be a nightmare matchup.

He could carry 220-230 pounds leanly on his frame while maintaining his speed. He’s a future force in this league and with a guy like Toews as his mentor, I have no doubt he’ll be a force.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
I know that a few Oilers fans posted in our thread after the pick, but for whatever reason, you're the only poster I can remember off hand.

I was one of the others. No matter what happens in this series, some of us Oilers fans will always have a soft spot for Dach.

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
Him and Kotkaniemi are playing pretty good during this play-in round, with Dach being the better of the two so far. In a couple of years he'll be at least a very good #2 center, quite possibly a #1.

Reactions: Gravity

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
He was fantastic last night again, almost had a Bobby Orr type goal against the Blues flying through the air goal. He was heavy on the forecheck absolutely crushed Ennis.

I hate it because of how much I like Dach. He’s absolutely beasting right now, if the Hawks go on that’s who I’ll be cheering for as my bandwagon team.

Best player from the 2019 draft class and that gap will widen in the coming years. Favourite non-Oiler player, Parayko is a decently close second but Dach is such an easy player to like. That series against Prince Albert in the WHL playoffs turned him into a man and he’s going to win several Selke’s I anticipate.

When he’s engaged, flying around and heavy on the boards with that size/speed/skill/IQ combo it’s a nightmare matchup for anyone.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Hugely impressed. A bit of a coming out party.

I did an asset poll this year, and he didn't make the top 50. I will be interested to see if he climbs into that range in the offseason poll.

Reactions: d rake

Svane

Jul 5, 2020
Very impressed by this kid. His offensive upside reminds me of Matthews, I see him becoming a 70-80 point player in his prime but with great defense. He'll be fine replacement for Toews.

Reactions: d rake and snipes

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
Where’s the guy that was arguing a few months back that Dach should have been kept in junior this year? :laugh:

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Very impressed by this kid. His offensive upside reminds me of Matthews, I see him becoming a 70-80 point player in his prime but with great defense. He'll be fine replacement for Toews.

He’s way more physical and defensively responsible than Matthews. Kills penalties as well.

If anything he’s a bigger, faster, and more skilled Toews or Couturier. The Toews comparable but bigger, faster, more skilled has nothing to do with them being on the same team either.

Reactions: Boqvy wan Kenobi

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
He’s way more physical and defensively responsible than Matthews. Kills penalties as well.

If anything he’s a bigger, faster, and more skilled Toews or Couturier. The Toews comparable but bigger, faster, more skilled has nothing to do with them being on the same team either.

hes not faster or more skilled then toews but hes a hell of a player.

Reactions: Muffinalt and newfy

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
Really fun player to watch, great hands but can absolutely crush players when he wants to- as Ennis found out.

As a Vancouverite, he'll go into the same category as Toews for me; annoyed to play against him, but damn happy he'll suit up for Team Canada.

CanadianHawks

Feb 23, 2018
Guys a horse. Franchise player for the Hawks for the next decade plus. What a treat to be able to have Toews pass the torch to Dach. Scotty B must think hes having flashbacks of #19 passing the torch to Datsyuk/Zetterberg for Det down the middle

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
Better puck protection skills and a better player along the boards, but he will likely never have a shot as good as Toews.

He could eventually become a better overall player than Toews was, but it won't be easy and it's far from a guarantee.
Toews is and always has been an absolute beast on the boards, particularly below the goal line. Always comes out with the puck. Fantastic protection. Never knocked down. Dach with a slighter build (currently) and higher center of gravity, does fall more. Another year or two though, and I can envision Dach being there. And Dach gets to learn from Toews every day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad