C Jack McBain - Boston College, NCAA (2018, 63rd, MIN; traded to ARI)

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
if mn was a bottom feeder team i could see him not signing but we are getting better and i see no reason he would say forget mn im going ufa.
To sign in his hometown. Maybe. Most players do end up signing with the team they were drafted by but it wouldn't exactly be shocking if he decided he wanted to pick from every team out there. Probably know what is going to happen pretty short order after his season ends though.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
if mn was a bottom feeder team i could see him not signing but we are getting better and i see no reason he would say forget mn im going ufa.
Especially since MN is the only team that can sign him early and burn a year. That, together with the fact that MN is good, and needs C's should be enough to keep him in MN...Guerin is also a BC alum, and will be hovering around him.

Koira666

Jun 3, 2019
Yeah especially since there is a defitinitely a role for him to grap, unlike in every other contender

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Sick of prospects that use this college shit to go to whatever team they want. They need to fix that.

Reactions: w e l o s t b o y s

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Sick of prospects that use this college shit to go to whatever team they want. They need to fix that.

It's not broken. Players have rights too. If the NHL wants to change it, then NHLPA will want some concessions too.

Players who are drafted out of the CHL can do the same thing if they want. Teams lose their rights after 2 years instead of 4. Depending on their age, they'll go back into the draft, but they can refuse to sign with their new team as well and become UFAs.

Until teams are obligated to sign their draft players, those players shouldn't be obligated to sign with the teams that drafted them.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I’m confused. Why would the Wild not sign their own promising prospect? Why would McBain not sign with a promising young-ish team with an apparent long-term hole at C?

Russo mentioned in his column today that McBain might think Minnnesota's roster would be too hard to crack immediately. From a player's perspective, that might be the difference between making 925K vs. 70K next season (Alex Kerfoot had similar reasons for not signing with the Devils).

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Russo mentioned in his column today that McBain might think Minnnesota's roster would be too hard to crack immediately. From a player's perspective, that might be the difference between making 925K vs. 70K next season (Alex Kerfoot had similar reasons for not signing with the Devils).
If McBain thinks he can't beat out Freddy Hockey, Connor Dewar, Nick Bjugstad and Nico Sturm for a C spot then he might be playing the wrong sport. Hartman can easily shift back to RW, his proper position, Sturm will likely not be re-signed (cap reasons), Bjugstad is likely done after this year, and Dewar is an AHL call up.

It doesn't make sense to me, but who knows who has been whispering in his ear?

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
I don’t doubt what you’ve relayed, but it still seems rather odd to me. The Wild’s centre depth is Hartman-Gaudreau-JEE-Sturm, which has to be among the weakest in the league never mind among contenders, and their only C prospect clearly ahead of McBain is Rossi. Not many teams in the league that look easier to break onto for next season and able to lock down a prominent role moving forward.

Reactions: Brodeur

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I’m fine with an earlyish 2nd as the return. No hard feelings. He has every right to do this; I’m glad we recouped value. Good luck in AZ!

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Goes from playing in college to playing in a college arena.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
I don’t doubt what you’ve relayed, but it still seems rather odd to me. The Wild’s centre depth is Hartman-Gaudreau-JEE-Sturm, which has to be among the weakest in the league never mind among contenders, and their only C prospect clearly ahead of McBain is Rossi. Not many teams in the league that look easier to break onto for next season and able to lock down a prominent role moving forward.
I agree. Squeezed for cap for the next coming years too. Not like a C couldn’t go out on the wing either.

AZ would scare me some. I understand the current roster is empty and he’d make the full check and potientially establish himself as an NHLer, but they’re going to have so many prospects to compete with very soon. (I guess MIN did as well, but idk.)

I’d much rather be in a PIT, a TB, etc… capped out teams that have nothing else in the pantry, they’re going to give you every chance.

Reactions: Dominance

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad