C Jack Hughes - USNTDP (2019 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Wow that's just incredible! He looks so smooth out on the ice and has such great hands with incredible precision. It's no exaggeration to say that he could rival Kane's or McDavid's stickhandling in a couple of years!

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Kid is definitley a top tier prospect. He'll need to bulk up a bit but he looks a little bit taller out there. Hard to tell without him playing against anyone. Definitely shades of his older brother in there but I think he's farther ahead then him at this point in developement.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Impressive but if thats all it took to be a solid NHL player than Linus Omark, Rob Hisey and Rob Schremp would be stars, game action is much more telling.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
So, on the U-18's by January?

He's good and maybe there is a stylistic comparison to McDavid but it will be interesting to see if he can hold on to being number one for the 2019 class. I don't put much weight into any list until the kid steps up into real competition but he should have some good challenges in Krebs, Kokkenen, Dach, etc.

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York
Yeah the 18 USA crop seems to have stalled a bit or dropped a little (Wise Wahlstrom Wilde) despite still being first rounders. Hopefully the 19 crop of Hughes Beecher Turcotte and Warren can maintain their stock or even improve,

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
He remind me of McDavid and Matthews

I think he plays more like McDavid than Matthews. Matthews plays more of a down low game like Crosby. McDavid is more of a transition player. Hughes excells in transition.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I think he plays more like McDavid than Matthews. Matthews plays more of a down low game like Crosby. McDavid is more of a transition player. Hughes excells in transition.
I don't think he'll ever have the same level of strength McDavid does, who is capable of holding guys off and is about 3 inches taller and has about 30 pounds on Hughes. Skill and build wise he looks like Patrick Kane. Explosive skater with ridiculous hands. He looks very smart out there with high-end vision, but we need to see how it carries over to the next level as everything speeds up dramatically from AAA to USHL level hockey.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I don't think he'll ever have the same level of strength McDavid does, who is capable of holding guys off and is about 3 inches taller and has about 30 pounds on Hughes. Skill and build wise he looks like Patrick Kane. Explosive skater with ridiculous hands. He looks very smart out there with high-end vision, but we need to see how it carries over to the next level as everything speeds up dramatically from AAA to USHL level hockey.

Yeah McDavid is on another level for sure. A center version of Kane is a good comparison. He has an underated defensive game as well.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Curious to see what type of numbers he puts up this year.

How does his minor midget numbers compare to other top end players?

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Curious to see what type of numbers he puts up this year.

How does his minor midget numbers compare to other top end players?

He put up similar numbers as McDavid and Tavares did in this league.

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
The Toronto Marlboros have produced some of the best hockey players and whenever you see how Hughes matches up with them statistically, it's pretty scary. I can't wait to see his progression and it'll be interesting to see if he can put up numbers like Eichel, Matthews, and Keller. This is a really exciting time for USA hockey.

43Kadri43

Jun 15, 2017
He put up similar numbers as McDavid and Tavares did in this league.

He was a year older when he did it, though.

Hughes is a fantastic prospect, but I don't think he's in the McDavid/Tavares tier at this point.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
He was a year older when he did it, though.

Hughes is a fantastic prospect, but I don't think he's in the McDavid/Tavares tier at this point.

Yup.

Some time ago I pointed out Mascherin as a comparison. But it'd have felt odd to reply with "His scoring is in line with Mascherin" when talking about great players.

It's a bit tough when the great players don't play long enough in the league to be accurately compared.

One would hope he ends up being better than Mascherin despite their scoring being in line.

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
He'll have competition with the top guys out west. Dach, Krebs, and Williams are no slouches.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Yup.

Some time ago I pointed out Mascherin as a comparison. But it'd have felt odd to reply with "His scoring is in line with Mascherin" when talking about great players.

It's a bit tough when the great players don't play long enough in the league to be accurately compared.

One would hope he ends up being better than Mascherin despite their scoring being in line.

I hear what you're saying because Mascherin isn't exactly a household name in the prospects world but Mascherin absolutely owned the GTHL.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
So, on the U-18's by January?

He's good and maybe there is a stylistic comparison to McDavid but it will be interesting to see if he can hold on to being number one for the 2019 class. I don't put much weight into any list until the kid steps up into real competition but he should have some good challenges in Krebs, Kokkenen, Dach, etc.
What does this even mean? Hughes was just in the best AAA minor hockey league in the world. He was in real competition with the likes of Krebs, Dach, and Kokkonen. It's like you're trying to purposely downgrade him for some reason.

Ehhhhh, McDavid is like a bowl of ice cream in regards to strength compared to other NHLers. Hell, Draisaitl is tougher than him, McDavid is a player like Datsyuk or Kane who can't really be touched.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad