Not open for further replies.

Alberta tough

Sep 3, 2008
Still on top!

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Elite Prospects is a great resource, but they do get Nationalities wrong from time to time.

agreed, but the OHL in the past has said his birthplace and home town was Michigan as well...cant remember the article I saw.

either way, it seems he will be representing Canada moving forward, but could be another Logan Brown if something happens and he doesn't make a u-18/wjc team.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
I would much rather see him in the OHL than the USHL. More access to the player, and also a better projection of how he'll be in the NHL.

JFA87-66-99

Jun 12, 2007
USA
I would much rather see him in the OHL than the USHL. More access to the player, and also a better projection of how he'll be in the NHL.
I wanted too see him and Svechnikov play for Barrie. Could have been a dynamic duo. Maybe he changes his mind and we'll decide to play for Mississauga.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
It would be fun to see him and his brother Quinton on the ice together. Quinton moving the puck up ice on the rush to Jack would be lethal based on what I have heard about Jack.

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
It would be fun to see him and his brother Quinton on the ice together. Quinton moving the puck up ice on the rush to Jack would be lethal based on what I have heard about Jack.

Think he ends up in Ann Arbor with his brother and good friend Beecher

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado

The first opportunity we may see the Hughes brothers together is on the 2019 WJC team. Quinn will be a lock for that team, and if Jack's play matches the hype and he excels with the NTDP, there's no reason to believe he can't make the WJC team as an underage player during his U18 season.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Was never eligible to play for Canada, he doesn't have Canadian citizenship regardless of what Elite Prospect says.

They finally updated his profile, but I imagine the "Hughes is a dual" belief is a falsehood that's going to persist for a long time, especially if he lives up to the hype.

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
They finally updated his profile, but I imagine the "Hughes is a dual" belief is a falsehood that's going to persist for a long time, especially if he lives up to the hype.
His profile was updated months ago when it came out that neither of the brothers were duals, so not exactly "finally".
I created his profile on 6/10/2014 before anything was even known about Quinn really, let alone Jack, so forgive the assumption that a kid playing minor hockey in Canada was at least a dual.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Its funny who it sticks to and who it doesn't. For whatever reason you never hear it mentioned with the Tkachuk brothers (who are both duels to the best of my understanding due to their mom being a Canadian) and who it doesn't.
my bad, was going based off what others here were saying
All good, just thought I'd clarify. I was corrected on this mid-year and have made the same mistake in this thread.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
His profile was updated months ago when it came out that neither of the brothers were duals, so not exactly "finally".
I created his profile on 6/10/2014 before anything was even known about Quinn really, let alone Jack, so forgive the assumption that a kid playing minor hockey in Canada was at least a dual.

The point isn't to rag on EP, but if EP is going to put out the information, they should be accountable and do their best to ensure it's accurate. It's understandable that folks wouldn't have known 3+ years ago, but it shouldn't have taken until he committed to the NTDP for a reputable website to confirm he didn't have Canadian citizenship. I believe Peter Ward, now with Las Vegas Golden Knights, but at the time Player Personnel at the NTDP, was the first one setting the record straight all the way back in 2015.

Its funny who it sticks to and who it doesn't. For whatever reason you never hear it mentioned with the Tkachuk brothers (who are both duels to the best of my understanding due to their mom being a Canadian) and who it doesn't.

Yep, Keith met their mom when he was playing in Winnipeg.

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
The point isn't to rag on EP, but if EP is going to put out the information, they should be accountable and do their best to ensure it's accurate. It's understandable that folks wouldn't have known 3+ years ago, but it shouldn't have taken until he committed to the NTDP for a reputable website to confirm he didn't have Canadian citizenship. I believe Peter Ward, now with Las Vegas Golden Knights, but at the time Player Personnel at the NTDP, was the first one setting the record straight all the way back in 2015.
News to me, since even the NTDP claimed Quinn was a dual in 2015:
That guidance from his parents helped Quinn develop into one of the top players in his age group. But for hockey observers, there was much speculation about where he would play.

That’s because Hughes has dual citizenship with the U.S. and Canada, and although he was born in Orlando he’s lived in Toronto the last few years.

Despite the speculation, Hughes said the choice was easy.

“Since I was a young kid, I always wanted to play for Team USA,” he said. “It was important for me to represent my country. It is an honor to represent the USA. I know there are many people who would love to wear the jersey. It definitely means I’m representing something more than myself. It’s been a cool experience.”
http://www.usahockeyntdp.com/news_article/show/589104?referrer_id=654408

There's a contact page on EP for reasons just like this, we are not all-knowing.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
News to me, since even the NTDP claimed Quinn was a dual in 2015:

http://www.usahockeyntdp.com/news_article/show/589104?referrer_id=654408

There's a contact page on EP for reasons just like this, we are not all-knowing.

That article is from Red Line. They write articles for the NTDP, and it's definitely not surprising that USAH doesn't proof them. Not only should USAH vet these articles (is anyone really surprised they don't?), but Red Line should also not frame a quote from Hughes about the OHL vs NTDP path instead as a USA vs Canada choice.

Here's Peter Ward, the former NTDP Director of Recruiting, before that Red Line article:

My point wasn't that EP was alone in having been wrong (nearly everyone was) or that EP should be "all-knowing." But the fact that EP has a contact page doesn't absolve EP from ultimately being responsible for what they have on their site. The ownership and accountability for the information EP provides falls on EP and EP alone.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

Absolutely but that doesn't mean he'll bust. Plenty of good players have come out of the NTDP. Kane, Matthews, Eichel, Tkachuk, White, Keller, Larkin, Werenski, Hanifin, McAvoy. I don't think going to the NTDP will make him an instant bust.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Absolutely but that doesn't mean he'll bust. Plenty of good players have come out of the NTDP. Kane, Matthews, Eichel, Tkachuk, White, Keller, Larkin, Werenski, Hanifin, McAvoy. I don't think going to the NTDP will make him an instant bust.
There's also the notable difference of the USNTDP not being just a USHL team. They play a bunch of colleges in their U-18 year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad