C Jack Hughes - USNTDP (2019, 1st, NJD) Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Yeah, out of all the reasons to be impressed by Hughes, and there are many, a 3 vs 3 tournament probably ranks last.

I do still think it shows the talent gap between him and players you can consider his peers. With everyone going half speed, he's twice as fast as everyone.

I agree with the sentiment, though. It says nothing about how it will translate.

Reactions: DVision44

DVision44

Nov 30, 2017
Yeah, out of all the reasons to be impressed by Hughes, and there are many, a 3 vs 3 tournament probably ranks last.

Yeah, I don't think it was just about the tournament... it was a chance to see him on the ice with the other prospects that're already in the system... and how he matched up..

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Also, is it likely that Hughes and Hischier are your top 1 and 2 centres or does one of them move to wing? I imagine there's a good chance Hughes starts at wing to get acclimated but I'm talking about long term.

Last edited:

LarrysMustache

Feb 29, 2016
Also, is it likely that Hughes and Hischier are your top 1 and 2 centres or does one of them move to wing? I imagine there's a good chance Hischier starts at wing to get acclimated but I'm talking about long term.
Likely, 1-2 center. That's the way you win. Don't try and f with your blue chips' position, that's a recipe for failure.

Reactions: NuxFan09

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Also, is it likely that Hughes and Hischier are your top 1 and 2 centres or does one of them move to wing? I imagine there's a good chance Hischier starts at wing to get acclimated but I'm talking about long term.

I'm guessing you mean Hughes starts at wing considering Hischier's been playing center the past two seasons. I think it's a definite possibility. They could put him next to Zacha who's very responsible defensively and continued to get better last year offensively. But I'd imagine they start him out as a center and see how that goes first.

Reactions: NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
I'm guessing you mean Hughes starts at wing considering Hischier's been playing center the past two seasons. I think it's a definite possibility. They could put him next to Zacha who's very responsible defensively and continued to get better last year offensively. But I'd imagine they start him out as a center and see how that goes first.
Gah, yeah I meant Hughes. Edited.

That's good news about Zacha by the way. It looked like things were going really south when he was sent down to the AHL for awhile there.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ

I'd rather Zacha on Hughes' wing. Zacha always plays better on the wing and I don't want Simmonds anywhere near the top 6

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Gah, yeah I meant Hughes. Edited.

That's good news about Zacha by the way. It looked like things were going really south when he was sent down to the AHL for awhile there.

Yeah it seemed like that AHL stint was a nice kick in the ass for him. He played better after than and particularly down the stretch, so fingers crossed that continues to start this season.

I'd rather Zacha on Hughes' wing. Zacha always plays better on the wing and I don't want Simmonds anywhere near the top 6

I'd definitely be open to that, but I disagree that Zacha plays better on the wing. His style of play is just suited for a center with the way he plays in the defensive zone especially. Plus, putting Hughes on Zacha's wing can let him more so focus on just creating offense and then Zacha can take care of the nitty gritty center-defensive duties.

All that said though I think they'll start Hughes as a center and go from there.

Devilsfan118

Sing us a song, you're the Schiano man
Jun 11, 2010
NJ
I think Hughes will undoubtedly struggle with faceoffs at C, but I don't think they move him to wing unless it starts to affect his overall game.

You don't get a chance to develop franchise centers very often. I'd keep him at C until it's clear he doesn't fit there.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Nathan MacKinnon played W as a rookie and ended up developing just fine. It's quite common practice to introduce a player to NHL as a W and if they handle it well, then move him to C instead of the other way around.

Starting a player on C and then moving them to W because they can't handle C can really mess with a player's confidence IMO.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
I think Hughes will undoubtedly struggle with faceoffs at C, but I don't think they move him to wing unless it starts to affect his overall game.

You don't get a chance to develop franchise centers very often. I'd keep him at C until it's clear he doesn't fit there.
Kuznetsov was 39% on faceoffs this year, his highest ever was 48%. Malkin has been terrible at faceoffs his entire career.

Struggling at faceoffs is not the worst thing in the world.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Nathan MacKinnon played W as a rookie and ended up developing just fine. It's quite common practice to introduce a player to NHL as a W and if they handle it well, then move him to C instead of the other way around.

Starting a player on C and then moving them to W because they can't handle C can really mess with a player's confidence IMO.

I disagree with the last part as a general premise but specifically here, if there's one thing I'm not worried about it's Jack's confidence.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Why reduce this to struggling with face offs? It’s the easy way out of any criticism. I don’t think the criticism of his ability to play center has ever been mainly about face offs or size, yet that’s what it’s reduced to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad