C Jack Hughes - USNTDP (2019 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BC Ben

Mar 26, 2010
True North
Saw Hughes live at the recent U17 World Hockey Challenge in Northern BC... he was electric with the puck, so very offensive, fast, drives hard to the net, great nose for the puck and understands how plays develop. Didn't really notice him on the defensive end, which is usually a good thing.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I think if they were going to give him serious consideration, they would have bumped him up to the U-18's immediately after the U-17 Challenge. I'd be surprised if he gets an invite, USNTDP/US National team has a bit of a hierarchy, and I'd be a bit surprised if they jumped over Farabee and Wahlstrom to give him a shot.

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York
I think if they were going to give him serious consideration, they would have bumped him up to the U-18's immediately after the U-17 Challenge. I'd be surprised if he gets an invite, USNTDP/US National team has a bit of a hierarchy, and I'd be a bit surprised if they jumped over Farabee and Wahlstrom to give him a shot.
That's a good point. It's strange he hasnt gotten bumbed up yet. His scoring pace is far surpassing Matthews and Eichel who got bumped up after around 30 games, i think Hughes is at 20ish now.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
That's a good point. It's strange he hasnt gotten bumbed up yet. His scoring pace is far surpassing Matthews and Eichel who got bumped up after around 30 games, i think Hughes is at 20ish now.
Matthews broke his Femur two games into his USNTDP career, which led to him having to play himself back into shape a bit. Eichel and Matthews also had much bigger and pro-ready frames to play the NCAA schedule that is part of the U-18's. Hughes is killing it production wise but is less than 160 and possibly shorter than 5'10, so there may be some reluctance to have him constantly play against 22 or 23-year-olds this quick. I think he'll get the bump soon though, similar to how Farabee did last year despite being a smaller guy.

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York

If it was roster spots keeping Jack down, a Center, Goldowski, just left for the OHL, the spot is there if they want to move him up

Last edited:

JK2K

Mar 13, 2017
Did Goldowski get the "wait one more year" from Penn State? Weird he would give it up otherwise.

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
Did Goldowski get the "wait one more year" from Penn State? Weird he would give it up otherwise.

He hasn’t been that good this year, he easily could have decided that the OHL was the place for him to develop more.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
The NTDP isn’t waiting for a spot to open up on the U18 team to promote Hughes. Plus, Jake Wise, a center, has been out all year so there’s been a spot open the entire time. The NTDP is fairly methodical on promoting to the U18s. It’ll happen, they just never do it this soon.

Beukeboom

Apr 1, 2007
I wonder if he'd be given a chance to play WJC 20? Depends on how the WJC 18 goes?

Beukeboom

Apr 1, 2007
I'm assuming you mean next year right? If he stays the course I think he'd be extremely likely to be on that team next year. and also a lock for the upcoming U18
Nah I actually meant this year. Is he not eligible? Matthews/Eichel were in two WJC20, but I guess they were born late maybe that's why. But Crosby did too for instance. Is it not custom in the US to do that?

Not trying to hype him up to Crosby level but so far he has outperformed Eichel/Matthews at the same age so why not let him get the chance to play two WJC20?

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York
Nah I actually meant this year. Is he not eligible? Matthews/Eichel were in two WJC20, but I guess they were born late maybe that's why. But Crosby did too for instance. Is it not custom in the US to do that?

Not trying to hype him up to Crosby level but so far he has outperformed Eichel/Matthews at the same age so why not let him get the chance to play two WJC20?
They announced the camp roster already so sadly he wont get the chance to try and make the team unfortunately. Matthews and Eichel played 2 years down from their draft, but they were later birthdays in the fall so they had that gap year between NTDP and NHL. So they were very 17 in there -2 year, Hughes is a summer birthday so he's only 16 in his -2 year. USA hockey generally would never choose a player that young.

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
What is the consensus where he ranks as a prospect in comparison to Matthews and Eichel?

I see he has pretty clearly better production than Matthews at the same age going by birth year, though Matthews has a clear edge if you cut it by how far they're from being drafted.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
What is the consensus where he ranks as a prospect in comparison to Matthews and Eichel?

I see he has pretty clearly better production than Matthews at the same age going by birth year, though Matthews has a clear edge if you cut it by how far they're from being drafted.

I don't know if its the consensus, but I think he's not as good of a prospect as those two. Hughes is slighter, and looks more like a Kane type prospect than a 2 way 1C. He could turn into a 2 way 1C, but I think he's going to need to prove it more than guys like McDavid, Matthews, Eichel who have all the ability, as well as the size that it should come with time. I think a lot of people will doubt if Hughes can stay at center.

Reactions: Laineux

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

Behind them. I'd say closer to MacKinnon. Matthews and Eichel had everything you look for in prototypical number 1 centers. He may be in their tier but slightly behind them. Still early.

Reactions: Laineux

Beukeboom

Apr 1, 2007
Behind them. I'd say closer to MacKinnon. Matthews and Eichel had everything you look for in prototypical number 1 centers. He may be in their tier but slightly behind them. Still early.
Now I only check stats and the occasional highlight video on youtube, but aren't you selling him short? I mean it is not like he barely has outscored Matthews/Eichel/Keller at this age, so far he has annihilated them. The kid is at a 2.09ppg. That seems pretty outlandish, especially given that he is not big in stature.

I get that points can be misleading, since Keller had a far better ppg than Eichel his first season. But we are still talking about 1.31, which is not really comparable to 2.09.

Hughes also tore the WHC 17 apart based on stats. Will be interesting to see how he will adapt to U18. Keller did fine thou and he is the same height.

Last edited:
Reactions: MichaelFarrell

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Now I only check stats and the occasional highlight video on youtube, but aren't you selling him short? I mean it is not like he barely has outscored Matthews/Eichel/Keller at this age, so far he has annihilated them. The kid is at a 2.09ppg. That seems pretty outlandish, especially given that he is not big in stature.

I get that points can be misleading, since Keller had a far better ppg than Eichel his first season. But we are still talking about 1.31, which is not really comparable to 2.09.

Hughes also tore the WHC 17 apart based on stats. Will be interesting to see how he will adapt to U18. Keller did fine thou and he is the same height.
Look, he's dynamic and extremely exciting, but what it basically comes down to, is the fact Matthews and Eichel are the prototypical #1 centers you dream about at the top of the draft. Eichel's 6'2, skates like the wind, has a great shot, is very strong, and good vision. Matthews was 6'2, stocky, extremely strong on the puck, played a 200 foot game at a high level for his age, with a great release.

Hughes, on the other hand, is sub-6 foot and has a slight build. Look around the league, and find me a single number one center who is sub-6 foot and slight. Previously, the only guy in recent years was Giroux. There are good smaller top 6 centers such as Brayden Point and Tyler Johnson, but most elite number one centers are 6'1 or taller with a strong build. I see you've brought up Clayton Keller, Clayton Keller played center at the USNTDP level, but was moved quickly to the wing at the NCAA level (atleast moved there and back) and appears to be a winger at the NHL level. Mitch Marner was another guy who was moved between center and wing at the junior level. I also think Patrick Kane was used as a center at points in junior (even temporarily tried at the NHL level). It is very hard for guys who play that type of game and are of that size to be successful NHL centers. Due to how #1 centers are viewed in the cap-world (viewed as probably the most valuable piece to a team), and how wingers are valued in comparison, I would say would be the difference if they were in the same draft. Its very rare a team that is bad enough to draft 1st overall would prefer the winger over the center if it is viewed as close. Also realize, Matthews, broke his leg two games into his u-17 year.

Last edited:

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York
You guys both have good points. Something has to be said for the dramatically higher production as well as the realities of size disadvantages. Even if he has to be, and likely is, shifted to wing, that's not to say he cant drive the line and production. Kane and Gaudreau are two of the best players in the league despite being wingers, and Keller is one of the best rookies. In terms of value to a franchise I agree Eichel and Matthews will always have that higher inherent value, but Hughes has an incredibly bright future and is still the assumed 1OA until someone comes and unseats him, because he is one of the most talented guys to come through the NTDP ever, and every year the NHL is going smaller, faster and more skilled, check check check for Hughes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad