C Jack Eichel - Boston University, NCAA (2015, 2nd, BUF) III

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Hopefully this chip on his shoulder plays into his desire to be an even better NHL player and a winner at the pro level. In a weird way I am happy that it is playing out like this. I never expected this out of Eichel. I mean I knew he was confident in himself, but the way he has handled everything thrown at him has really shifted my opinion of him. He really seems tired of hearing about McDavid, and I think he wants to prove that he's the best player from this draft. It will definitely be difficult for sure, but if he can use this as fuel for a fire to push him to another level then I can't see how this couldn't be good for the Sabres.

Agree, its definitely brought out a side of him I didn't know existed. He's always seemed rather tame to me.

UnrefinedCrude

Jun 7, 2011
Agree, its definitely brought out a side of him I didn't know existed. He's always seemed rather tame to me.

People forget, he's a kid.

We can't or shouldn't expect him to be polished in front of the camera.
A little swagger doesn't hurt anyone. And he really hasn't been outrageous at all, it has been pretty tame, IMO.

I kinda wish the media would leave these kids alone a bit more.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Thanks for the shift-by-shift videos. Keep up the good work!

Good news. My friend loaned me his old laptop so I should be able to keep doing them now. The bad news is I'd already done the first Russia game and now I have to do it all over again. It's tedious enough the first time. :shakehead

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Good news. My friend loaned me his old laptop so I should be able to keep doing them now. The bad news is I'd already done the first Russia game and now I have to do it all over again. It's tedious enough the first time. :shakehead

Awesome. Really appreciate it, great work.

kwickly

Apr 27, 2015
Cool video there, he certainly has an entertaining personality, very confident of himself... I like it. Is it just me or does there seem to be more coverage of specifically Jack Eichel than there is of McDavid? Maybe McDavid has been talked about for so long now there is nothing left to say?

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
McDavid is probably just a more private guy. I would like to see more clips like this, but you kind of need the player's co-operation.

Scuba-Steve

Jun 8, 2006
Québec
Sabres fans are so fortunate to have a chance to draft this guy. I really think he could end up being as good as McDavid, if not better...

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Childhood dream about to come true for Jack Eichel at NHL draft
By Kevin Allen, USA TODAY Sports

When Jack Eichel was 4, he announced to his family that he intended to play in the NHL. When he was 6 he informed his father that he planned to skip high school hockey to play for the Boston Junior Bruins.

"He had it all mapped out by the time he was 7 or 8," his father, Bob, told USA TODAY Sports. "Nobody believed him, but he had it mapped out."

These days everyone believes in Eichel, 18, because he is arguably the best American center prospect since Mike Modano was drafted No. 1 overall in 1988.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
Well just to make it basically official, (although everyone already knows this). Buffalo picking Eichel:

Eichel is an elite skater with unbelievable speed and explosiveness. He sees the game in slow motion, has great vision and anticipates a second or two before the rest of the pack. He's obviously a franchise player who will hopefully be part of our plans for the next 15-20 years, or longer.
— Sabres director of amateur scouting Greg Royce on prospect Jack Eichel, the likely No. 2 pick in the 2015 NHL Draft by Buffalo

From NHL.com.

Last edited:

MCDAVIDISH

Jul 18, 2011
Edmonton
I really do wish the Canadian media were paying more attention to Eichel.. McDavid sat down for a long interview with Bob Mac and I'd really like to see the same kind of thing with Eichel, he's really deserved the attention and it's a bit of a shame that he's not getting it. Feels to me like it's because he's American, hopefully he's getting a lot of attention in the States.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I really do wish the Canadian media were paying more attention to Eichel.. McDavid sat down for a long interview with Bob Mac and I'd really like to see the same kind of thing with Eichel, he's really deserved the attention and it's a bit of a shame that he's not getting it. Feels to me like it's because he's American, hopefully he's getting a lot of attention in the States.

As a USA and Sabres fan I find it all pretty understandable. McDavid is Canadian and the best prospect in a decade. Eichel being an American is part of it, but being an NCAA player is probably an even bigger factor. I know the NCAA has been increasing its profile on Canadian TV in recent years but it's just not at all comparable to the attention the CHL -- especially OHL -- gets.

As to attention Eichel gets in the states it's hard to say because ESPN's attention to hockey just isn't 1/10th of TSN and Sportsnet's. I don't watch ESPN too often but Eichel and McDavid are two of the only prospects I can recall ever getting much mention, probably in part because ESPN broadcasts NCAA hockey. The two main hockey personalities on ESPN (TV not the web site) are Buccigross and Melrose who broadcast NCAA games together and were drooling over Eichel in the NCAA tournament. Obviously our local beat here in Buffalo gave tons of coverage to McDavid and Eichel all year. In the areas that have strong hockey markets Eichel seems to have gotten a lot of attention.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Eichel: 'I'm not signing to play major junior'
By TSN.ca Staff

jack-eichel.jpg

Jack Eichel will either return to Boston University next season, or spend all 82 regular-season games at the pro level.

The 18-year-old, who is expected to selected second overall by the Buffalo Sabres in Friday night's NHL Draft, told the Boston Globe he has no plans to sign a contract unless he's promised an NHL spot for the full season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad