C German Rubtsov (2016, 22nd, PHI)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brayden Fattison

Mar 4, 2013
He proved he wasn't ready for the KHL so he chose another way. Why arguing? Yeah, he isn't on a level of Tarasenko, Kuznetsov or Kaprizov, but he still can be a solid NHLer.

Exactly.

And as far as I undestand, he can play in the AHL the next season, because he wasn't drafted from CHL.

He could play in the AHL this season (I think) if the Flyers think he's ready and Chicoutimi doesn't have a long playoff run.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Didn't know VHL wasn't an option, it just sucks he isn't playing center now. From my understanding he can play center and is good defensively but he's just bad at faceoffs.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Is he good enough to get decent AHL minutes next season? Is he ahead or behind Kamenev who played in the AHL at 19?

Broad Street Elite

Nov 9, 2011
This thread is exceptional in how it has become some battleground for debating the quality of Russia's hockey leagues. To me, if the choices were the Q or MHL as seemed to be the only options, then I'll take getting acclimated to NA, exposure to English, etc over the MHL. In terms of better hockey... I don't know that there is such a difference in quality of hockey that it makes a lot of difference. Rubstov needs minutes against reasonable competition right now and he's getting it.

As for next year, I just don't know. Flyers under Hextall have generally embraced a more patient approach, but they haven't really had an opportunity to let a kid play in the AHL either. Most were CHL or NHL, which made the patient approach a little more obvious.

johna2626

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta
This thread is exceptional in how it has become some battleground for debating the quality of Russia's hockey leagues. To me, if the choices were the Q or MHL as seemed to be the only options, then I'll take getting acclimated to NA, exposure to English, etc over the MHL. In terms of better hockey... I don't know that there is such a difference in quality of hockey that it makes a lot of difference. Rubstov needs minutes against reasonable competition right now and he's getting it.

As for next year, I just don't know. Flyers under Hextall have generally embraced a more patient approach, but they haven't really had an opportunity to let a kid play in the AHL either. Most were CHL or NHL, which made the patient approach a little more obvious.

I dont believe this is the only thing the MHL has over the CHL (which it being a better league is debatable). There is something to be said for being comfortable in your home country and learning how to play in your native language. Rubtsov (no matter how hard he tries) will never speak/understand English like he does Russian, and I think those minute details can get lost in translation. I'm unsure about the CHL, but I know that the MLB does not provide translators for Latin players, so I'd imagine a smaller league like the CHL also would struggle to have a full time translator.

I'm also not saying MHL is better than CHL, I think these things need to be looked at on a case by case basis.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I dont believe this is the only thing the MHL has over the CHL (which it being a better league is debatable). There is something to be said for being comfortable in your home country and learning how to play in your native language. Rubtsov (no matter how hard he tries) will never speak/understand English like he does Russian, and I think those minute details can get lost in translation. I'm unsure about the CHL, but I know that the MLB does not provide translators for Latin players, so I'd imagine a smaller league like the CHL also would struggle to have a full time translator.

I'm also not saying MHL is better than CHL, I think these things need to be looked at on a case by case basis.

It is advantageous that he has Zhukenov on the team with him. Who is a Russian ofc but speaks good English.

Mar 15, 2011
NJ
It's been a tough year for him between his treatment in Russia, inconsistent ice time in the WJC and constant injury issues.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
It's been a tough year for him between his treatment in Russia, inconsistent ice time in the WJC and constant injury issues.

His 'issues' at home stem from high expectations he didn't live up to, not from ill treatment from Vityaz. Coming into this year most of us had him penciled in as Vityaz third line C, not as still playing games in MHL. Probably seemed like a big let down for Rubtsov. That said, his situation was no different from tons of players who split time between KHL and MHL.

But yeah it's been a tough year. Failure to make an impact in the KHL, a minimal role at WJC, multiple injuries, and now he's forced to play out of position in the CHL.

Mar 15, 2011
NJ
His 'issues' at home stem from high expectations he didn't live up to, not from ill treatment from Vityaz. Coming into this year most of us had him penciled in as Vityaz third line C, not as still playing games in MHL. Probably seemed like a big let down for Rubtsov. That said, his situation was no different from tons of players who split time between KHL and MHL.

But yeah it's been a tough year. Failure to make an impact in the KHL, a minimal role at WJC, multiple injuries, and now he's forced to play out of position in the CHL.

Good point.

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
Well we shouldn't scrutinize him like he was a top five pick. I'm not exactly sure of the stat but I think only about a third of players drafted from 21-30 become solid top six forwards or top 4 defensemen. He seems to have a pretty strong skill set but I think we sometimes don't give enough weight to the mental side of things. He could just be going through an unlucky stretch or maybe he is just immature or getting bad advice from his "people" or gets wigged out easy and is hard to coach...who knows. Next year will be important to watch and see if these possible issues with him become red flags or go away.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Well we shouldn't scrutinize him like he was a top five pick. I'm not exactly sure of the stat but I think only about a third of players drafted from 21-30 become solid top six forwards or top 4 defensemen. He seems to have a pretty strong skill set but I think we sometimes don't give enough weight to the mental side of things. He could just be going through an unlucky stretch or maybe he is just immature or getting bad advice from his "people" or gets wigged out easy and is hard to coach...who knows. Next year will be important to watch and see if these possible issues with him become red flags or go away.
There are no red flags. He played well for the Russian team at SuperSeries and WJC as the youngest player, then he came over and has been lights out in Chicoutimi. Seems to have some bad luck with fluky injuries but his attitude is great - he just wants to play.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
Rubtsov's season is officially over. He will have surgery on his hand on Monday. He has a hand fracture.

« German a rencontré les médecins des Flyers hier à Philadelphie et devant l’évidence que sa blessure n’avait pas guérie, la décision a été prise de l’opéré lundi prochain. Il poursuivra par la suite sa réhabilitation sous la supervision de l’équipe médicale des Flyers », a mentionné Yanick Jean.

http://sagueneens.com/article/la-saison-du-joueur-russe-est-terminee

It says German met the Flyers doctors yesterday in Philadelphia and upon seeing that his injury had not healed, they decided to operate on Monday. He will then continue his rehabilitation under the supervision of the Flyers medical team.

Roo Mad Bro

U havin a giggle m8?
Dec 6, 2010
PA
Let's hope he got the unlucky injuries out of his way early on in his career. Some fluky injuries to him this year.

Mar 15, 2011
NJ
Rubtsov's season is officially over. He will have surgery on his hand on Monday. He has a hand fracture.

http://sagueneens.com/article/la-saison-du-joueur-russe-est-terminee

It says German met the Flyers doctors yesterday in Philadelphia and upon seeing that his injury had not healed, they decided to operate on Monday. He will then continue his rehabilitation under the supervision of the Flyers medical team.

Jeez not a great development year for him. He needs to play!

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Foot, nose, and hand...

Three unrelated injuries that ruined his year. He looked good when actually playing but he got really unlucky. Good news is that he isn't suffering from a recurring injury like concussion issues or something like that.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
As horrible as Rubtsov's sseason went, the silver lining is that he played through and experienced some turbulence in his career. He handled it well and now he'll get a chance to recover and more important, he knows where he's going to play going forward. The one thing these prospects need are ice time and assigned roles and he's going to get a ton of it in Chicoutimi. I expect Rubtsov is going to emerge as an even better player as a result and he's going to cement himself as one of the top prospects in the Flyers organization.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad