C Gabriel Vilardi (2017, 11th, LAK)

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Didn't even realize this kid was up in the NHL. Another goal today. 4 points in 8 games, not shabby for a guy who has missed as much time as him.

Happy he's getting some time in the show at the end of the season.

He also hasn't had even a full summer to condition in I don't know how many years. You can see him get gassed on NHL ice--probably the reason his minutes were getting managed in the B2B situations. VERY excited to see what he can do with a full offseason of health and pro training, guy should be in competition for the Calder next year.

But when he's on, my god. He's already a bull, and most nights he's taking the "Carter" matchup slot (i.e. he gets most team's 2Cs, and he's had to deal with some monster ones so far, look at the Kings' schedule this month). I see Jason Allison/Getzlaf sooner rather than later with this kid.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I hadn't realized that he made his NHL debut. Very impressive to come from where he was last year to seemingly playing good hockey in the NHL.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Glad he's doing well. Always hate to see any talent wasted by injuries.

Where's he playing in the line-up?

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Glad he's doing well. Always hate to see any talent wasted by injuries.

Where's he playing in the line-up?

Kind of depends. Most nights we have our first line of Iafallo-Kopitar-Brown and then kind of two third lines. I'd call him the 2C since most nights he's centering some combo of Frk, Kempe, Moore in mostly offensive situations. But especially when he gets gassed or on back to backs, that's for sure the 'lower' of the two lines, and he'll sometimes get Amadio-Lewis. Really basically everywhere but with line 1. And sometimes gets PP2 time.

Would LOVE to see him get a look on PP1 or with Kopitar just for a game even but he really literally takes all of Kopitar's spots on the ice and PP, haha. The guy's vision is just absolutely off the charts good, and a lot of times it takes the eye of someone who has watched a lot of hockey looking at him specifically to notice the details. He made one play against VGK leading to a goal that didn't even get him an assist but absolutely dropped my jaw, making a move behind our net to draw two VGK checkers and firing it off the boards in front of him to go through the legs of the forechecker behind him right onto our dmans stick to start a breakout. Constantly little creative things that I don't see other players even try, and he's walked right into the NHL and acted like it's no big deal.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Draisaitl, Vilardi and Dach are all players cut from the same cloth IMO. Big, smart, skilled, strong and relentless (both on and off the ice) guys who just suits the NHL game perfectly. Been a huge fan of all three basically since the first time I saw them play.

You can add Mark Stone to that list as well,whom Villardi reminds me a ton of.

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
With all the buzz around the Kings' recent picks, I feel Vilardi is somewhat lost in the shuffle. He has the 2C spot locked down and I expect a big development year from him. News is he added 15 lbs of muscle. Want to see if his skating improved as well. He's a huge part of the Kings rebuild

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
With all the buzz around the Kings' recent picks, I feel Vilardi is somewhat lost in the shuffle. He has the 2C spot locked down and I expect a big development year from him. News is he added 15 lbs of muscle. Want to see if his skating improved as well. He's a huge part of the Kings rebuild
Maybe im mistaken but doesnt that put him at 220lbs? .. thats damn good and tells me his conditioning will be much better and so will his game!

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal

To me, he has a much better shot than Byfield to be a high-end player. Turcotte will be good but I think Vilardi is better than him as well.

Reactions: ibleedkings

Eegs

Jan 9, 2018
BC
Maybe im mistaken but doesnt that put him at 220lbs? .. thats damn good and tells me his conditioning will be much better and so will his game!
Hopefully the added strength only helps him with his back. I'd love to see this kid succeed after what he's been through. He's probably my favorite non-habs prospect.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Will be interesting to see which of Vilardi/Byfield/Turcotte ends up on the wing - I think they’re all too talented to end up as 3Cs. Good problem to have though, Kopitar has a lot of mentoring to do!

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
To me, he has a much better shot than Byfield to be a high-end player. Turcotte will be good but I think Vilardi is better than him as well.

I've long been a Vilardi truther and I think he's the best of the bunch. His brain for the game is just tooooo good. He can snipe, distribute, bully people on the wall. Only thing missing is high end speed, but we have that in spades in our organization now. He was successful last year with Kempe and Martin Frk on his line--Kempe of course being a phenomenal skater--and that was after so much time out. Adding some adult muscle to that as well as lots of rehab time...he's the guy I'm most excited for this year. Absolutely a key player for us going forward no matter in what manner. He's just so toolsy and fun to watch as well as a good guy who is easy to root for. He played at a 60 point pace last year just waltzing into the NHL...if he can push towards that across a whole season and stay healthy, this team challenges for a spot next year. Those are Jeff Carter numbers...and he might be deadlier on the powerplay.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Hopefully the added strength only helps him with his back.

I'm impressed that he added 15 lbs of muscle with his history of back problems. I screwed up my back working out years ago and, now, I take it easier when I work out because I'm afraid of making it worse. If he was able to add that much muscle without aggravating his back again, it seems like a good sign that he's healed.

Last edited:

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008

I am always skeptical with these “added X weight” during the off-season. As most guys lose 10+ lbs during the rigors of the season.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I am always skeptical with these “added X weight” during the off-season. As most guys lose 10+ lbs during the rigors of the season.

Which is fair, but 1. the Kings have been off since March; 2. Vilardi in particular hasn't had a 'regular' offseason in a while due to injuries, it's been recovery; 3. it makes sense that a guy whose biggest question mark is health is that focused on improving his strength and conditioning.

Reactions: Eegs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad