C Elias Pettersson - Timra IK, Allsvenskan (2017, 5th, VAN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
1 assist on this Swedish team for an offensive player? That has to be disappointing.

He's just been snakebitten. Sweden scored 8 goals against Slovakia and I don't think you can find anyone who thinks Pettersson didn't create the most scoring chances. Pucks just haven't gone in for him.

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
He has been alot better then the stats, but still a disapointment, could imaging he has fall a bit in the rankings depending on how high he was before.

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
Because of 5 games? Doubt it.

I didnt say he would fall from 1oa to 7th round or anything crazy like that, but depending on where they had him rank before he can have fall, wjc 20 have a impact. It is hard to have him ahead of Hischer now for example, unless he ends wjc 20 in a great way.

Last edited:

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Pettersson has looked exactly like I thought he would look in these last couple of games. Played like a third D in the first 2 games. The lack of points is just a fluke, he's been generating quality chances and won't need this tournament to show that he can produce a nice stat line.

That thin frame really holds him back though and I'm sure it will scare off a few teams picking in the 1st round. His skill level is clearly as high as anyones in this tournament and it looks like his skating is coming.

bottomofthefoodchain

Feb 10, 2008
Stockholm
I didnt say he would fall from 1oa to 7th round or anything crazy like that, but depending on where they had him rank before he can have fall, wjc 20 have a impact. It is hard to have him ahead of Hischer now for example, unless he ends wjc 20 in a great way.

I dont think anyone without extreme bias has him that high. Top 10 right now imo with a lot of hockey left to be played this season.

Mauler

Dec 19, 2015
You can clearly see his potential fantastic stickhandling but he has to put on much muscles so he have better balance if he can do that then he will be soo hard to stop

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
You can clearly see his potential fantastic stickhandling but he has to put on much muscles so he have better balance if he can do that then he will be soo hard to stop

Yeah he just has to figure out how to do it without it affecting his skating.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
Hopefully every team but Montreal is worried about this guy's size, as it would appear most in here are!

BHI6qEeCQAADFGm.jpg

CG1DyT8VAAERPFK-696x438.jpg

Screen-Shot-2016-06-02-at-10.59.38-AM.png

20140531_combine_6444.jpg

could go on and on...not every player is going to be gifted with a body like Matthews at this age.

An article from July that notes Marner's weight as of July/Kane's starting weight in the league:

http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/t...-even-be-the-lightest-player-in-the-nhl-today

In all seriousness, when was the last time that a high level prospect failed to pan out as a result of being too thin? Can't recall one in the 15 years I have followed the draft

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
In all seriousness, when was the last time that a high level prospect failed to pan out as a result of being too thin? Can't recall one in the 15 years I have followed the draft

It hasn't led to failure but I think of Nugent-Hopkins as prime example of a player that hasn't reached his projected potential due to his physical stature. He's put on muscle but it's been a limitation as he competes with other centers. At this point he's definitely outside the top 5 of that draft in my opinion.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

I think its easy to have him ahead of Hischier.

If you think he'll be a better NHL player, you put him ahead of Hischier. I wouldn't put too much into the number of points players have during the WJC.

I think he will be a better NHL player than Hischier, so I have him ranked ahead of Hischier.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I don't think I ever saw this discussed, but someone showed me this tweet (which I happened to somehow miss) and I thought it was quite surprising. It had Pettersson as the 6th best draft eligible player at the WJC entering the tournament.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think Hischier is creating some distance at the top. Past that it is pretty debatable, but he has a strong case for 2nd.

PPG in a mens league. Better in his pre-draft season than Nylander, Wennberg, Forsberg.

I'll take Pettersson. I think he has more upside. Hischier is good as well, I'd have him #2 among that list.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
PPG in a mens league. Better in his pre-draft season than Nylander, Wennberg, Forsberg.

I'll take Pettersson. I think he has more upside. Hischier is good as well, I'd have him #2 among that list.
He has more points, but Nylander had a better skill set at comparable ages and also showed much better at IIHF events at the same age (mainly look at the U-18's as 17 year olds).

What Pettersson is doing is impressive. But, I don't think you can analyze him fully by just looking at the box score.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He has more points, but Nylander had a better skill set at comparable ages and also showed much better at IIHF events at the same age (mainly look at the U-18's as 17 year olds).

What Pettersson is doing is impressive. But, I don't think you can analyze him fully by just looking at the box score.

Well, I haven't. I think he might have the best hockey sense in the draft, and I also think he has really good skill with the puck. I think his smarts on the ice make the rest of his game play up. I've watched him play a number of times. Looks like a future 1st line player in the NHL, although he needs to improve his skating and gain some weight.

I agree with you that Nylander has a better skill-set, but Nylander also might go second in a 2014 re-draft. Saying Nylander has a better skill-set doesn't mean Pettersson isn't a better prospect than Hischier.

Even if Hischier is a better prospect, putting Pettersson 6th from 2017 players is crazy.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Well, I haven't. I think he might have the best hockey sense in the draft, and I also think he has really good skill with the puck. I think his smarts on the ice make the rest of his game play up. I've watched him play a number of times. Looks like a future 1st line player in the NHL, although he needs to improve his skating and gain some weight.

I agree with you that Nylander has a better skill-set, but Nylander also might go second in a 2014 re-draft. Saying Nylander has a better skill-set doesn't mean Pettersson isn't a better prospect than Hischier.

Even if Hischier is a better prospect, putting Pettersson 6th from 2017 players is crazy.
I, personally think he should have been second, and in the actual rankings, I'd say he's in the higher end of that 3 to 7 tier with Vilardi, Necas, Liljegren, and Mittelstadt. I really wonder why so many scouts would have Vesalainen so high. I'd be afraid of him in the top 20.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I really wonder why so many scouts would have Vesalainen so high. I'd be afraid of him in the top 20.

I guess its down to whether you think he can score in the NHL or not. He's a big, strong winger who can skate. Those types of players usually get a lot of discussion for the first round, and sometimes the top ten. The question about him will be is he Crouse or is he Puljujarvi? I'd lean towards the latter, so I'd have him more in the 20 range, but maybe there are some people who think he'll score at a first or second line pace.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I guess its down to whether you think he can score in the NHL or not. He's a big, strong winger who can skate. Those types of players usually get a lot of discussion for the first round, and sometimes the top ten. The question about him will be is he Crouse or is he Puljujarvi? I'd lean towards the latter, so I'd have him more in the 20 range, but maybe there are some people who think he'll score at a first or second line pace.
He's definitely not Puljujarvi, and he seems closer to De La Rose than Crouse.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
His stat line at the WJC didn't look pretty but I thought he had a decent tournament. Teams who worry about his size are not going to stop worrying though. Really curious to see where he gets drafted, could be pretty much anywhere in the 1st round I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad