C Dylan Strome - Erie Otters, OHL (2015, 3rd, ARZ) II

Status
Not open for further replies.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Scheifele had to go back to the OHL for two seasons after he was drafted because he was physically unable to stand up let alone handle NHL players. It goes without saying each kid is on his own path and Dylan will be fine if he puts in the work. Scheif is incredibly driven and that helped his body transformation.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Scheifele had to go back to the OHL for two seasons after he was drafted because he was physically unable to stand up let alone handle NHL players. It goes without saying each kid is on his own path and Dylan will be fine if he puts in the work. Scheif is incredibly driven and that helped his body transformation.
It will be interesting to see how Strome handles this. He's never really had a reason to have a chip on his shoulder. He was the best player on a team that is the gold standard of the GTHL most of his life (McDavid played a year up). Schiefele was a guy who had great reason to play with a chip on his shoulder and find motivation.

I'm very interested to see how he handles this situation. He's insanely talented, but how he's played in recent high-profile events (and how he's reacted) makes me question his composure a bit in high-stress situations. I think its more immaturity than a long-term issue though.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Is he that much more talented than his brother, Ryan, or is it likely that he has similar struggles in the NHL?

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
It will be interesting to see how Strome handles this. He's never really had a reason to have a chip on his shoulder. He was the best player on a team that is the gold standard of the GTHL most of his life (McDavid played a year up). Schiefele was a guy who had great reason to play with a chip on his shoulder and find motivation.

I'm very interested to see how he handles this situation. He's insanely talented, but how he's played in recent high-profile events (and how he's reacted) makes me question his composure a bit in high-stress situations. I think its more immaturity than a long-term issue though.

Good post - are you just referring to WJCs in the bolded text?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Good post - are you just referring to WJCs in the bolded text?
No, the WJC has a bit to do with it, but it is mostly how he dealt with the Knights series last year. Towards the end of the series, he was doing stupid things and clearly lost his composure. Can't remember the exact details, but in game 3 I remember him taking a stupid unsportsmanlike penalty.

Anyone familiar with my posting history knows that I don't believe in clutchness as a projectable or repeatable trait. I do believe a very small percentage of certain players do have trouble with on-ice pressure (but to make the NHL most of these are thinned out). London's checking line was able to goad him and get him off his game and taking stupid penalties. I don't think it is a long-term issue that won't be solved by getting older.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I think it fair to say Dylan has some growing up to do physically and mentally.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
No, the WJC has a bit to do with it, but it is mostly how he dealt with the Knights series last year. Towards the end of the series, he was doing stupid things and clearly lost his composure. Can't remember the exact details, but in game 3 I remember him taking a stupid unsportsmanlike penalty.

He is competitive and young. Domi often did stupid things. It's easier to tame fire than it is to try and conjure some.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014

Anyone familiar with my posting history knows that I don't believe in clutchness as a projectable or repeatable trait. I do believe a very small percentage of certain players do have trouble with on-ice pressure (but to make the NHL most of these are thinned out). London's checking line was able to goad him and get him off his game and taking stupid penalties. I don't think it is a long-term issue that won't be solved by getting older.

I found that in the playoffs both last season and his draft season that when the speed of the game picked up and guys were taking away his time and space he was invisible. You could see he was getting frustrated with it. The only times i would even notice him was on the PP. Kid has good vision and a great shot but he has a bad first few steps. IMO Dvorak will be the better pro

BDizzle*

Jul 7, 2010
Ontario
I found that in the playoffs both last season and his draft season that when the speed of the game picked up and guys were taking away his time and space he was invisible. You could see he was getting frustrated with it. The only times i would even notice him was on the PP. Kid has good vision and a great shot but he has a bad first few steps. IMO Dvorak will be the better pro

I echo your thoughts. I remember the playoffs in his draft year quite well (as I watched closely to decide if I would prefer Strome over Marner or not etc). Regardless, I was almost convinced he had to be injured due to his lackluster speed, and drive in many playoff games. As you mentioned, once the speed and intensity picked up he was no where to be seen (except on the PP). I really hope he can develop further and live up to his draft expectations; but his foot speed and slow release really are concerning for me. Hopefully a strong WJHC will boost his confidence a bit.

On the other had Dvorak has continued to impress me each time I have watched him. I do think he will develop into a more well-rounded pro as well.

Wolves

Jan 25, 2016
Won 12/14 face-offs last night in his return to the OHL with 6 shots and 2 points (1 G, 1 A). Could've had a hat-trick if it weren't for the goalie, also hit the post on a cross crease pass. Was all over the ice, as he should be though I suppose.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Looks like all the BRO SCIENTISTS moved over here now that the Marner thread is closed.

Strome's biggest shortcoming is footspeed and agility, has a slender build, and you want him to bulk up to 230 lbs? Give me a break! Worst advice I've ever heard. :laugh:

Who said 230 lbs.?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Won 12/14 face-offs last night in his return to the OHL with 6 shots and 2 points (1 G, 1 A). Could've had a hat-trick if it weren't for the goalie, also hit the post on a cross crease pass. Was all over the ice, as he should be though I suppose.

Two posters on our board claim he was lazy as ever.

Pretty polarizing player.

Wolves

Jan 25, 2016

I would say that some expect his foot speed and agility to be better. Wasn't hard on the back check by any means but positionally he played very well. His size will always lead others to believe that he should be shutting down top lines and playing physical but he just isn't that type of player. Still skilled beyond belief and very intelligent with/without the puck. He'll be fine.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003

Yeah, that's quite the contrast from some of the reports on his complete lack of battle and hustle in the same game on forum 40.
I think certain posters have an agenda. Have to justify the hard decisions somehow.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009

I was at the game. I thought he was super lazy and not engaged through most if it. He was clearly the third wheel on the DeBrincat and Raddysh line. His secondary assist and empty-net goal were not impressive in the least. He missed the net on a number of point blank chances and even whiffed completely on one. He certainly wasn't one of the best forwards for the Otters on the ice. Overall I thought he had a disappointing game for someone of his stature.

Wolves

Jan 25, 2016
I was at the game. I thought he was super lazy and not engaged through most if it. He was clearly the third wheel on the DeBrincat and Raddysh line. His secondary assist and empty-net goal were not impressive in the least. He missed the net on a number of point blank chances and even whiffed completely on one. He certainly wasn't one of the best forwards for the Otters on the ice. Overall I thought he had a disappointing game for someone of his stature.

He missed the net twice hit the post and was stopped by Bowman on two good open looks. He had 6 shots and Debrincat had 8 and you're telling me Strome had nothing to do with that even though they were constantly cycling the puck in the offensive zone. It wasn't his best game by any means but it was his first game back. Still played a positionally sound game and was all over the ice. Not sure what else you want from the kid, I guess even when you play well people will nitpick.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Anytime I've seen him, he reminds me so much of a young Spezza. Crazy skill, great shot, not speedy but can slow the game down with a possession game. Allergic to physical play in the corners.
If you can get a Jason Spezza at #3, that's phenomenal.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Anytime I've seen him, he reminds me so much of a young Spezza. Crazy skill, great shot, not speedy but can slow the game down with a possession game. Allergic to physical play in the corners.
If you can get a Jason Spezza at #3, that's phenomenal.

Spezza has way better vision than Strome.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Strome seems so overated imo. Outside of his shot and PP presence literally brought nothing.

Mach12

Feb 1, 2010
Not impressed with this guy at all, whether in the WJC final or at any point in the tournament. Guy is a giant floater and he doesn't even back it up breaking any games open. He's too slow, too soft, and just doesn't do anything. Even before the tournament was not a fan of this guy, but damn, he stinks.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
Not his best tourny but it's not easy being captain Canada. I thought he was our best player last year. This year, he just wasn't himself. Never found his groove.

The Dylan Strome that I loved pre-draft was the Strome that focused on making plays. His vision, hockey sense, patience with the puck, touch on his passes, ability to make his linemates better, and all in that big frame was something to watch.

This tournament he seemed focused on just shooting. He has a great shot but I never considered Strome as a shooting center first. Maybe he was playing into a role for the line that he was on but clearly it didn't work out.

Thebesthockey

Aug 6, 2013
he eas easily the slowest player on the ice today
and with greenway on the ice..thats saying allot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad