C Dean Letourneau - St. Andrew's College, CAHS (2024 Draft)

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Had not heard of him, then I saw a 6'6" forward with a B grade on the Central Scouting list and looked into him more and he looks like an interesting player. Mark Edwards from HP also mentioned him on their podcast. Committed to play college hockey at Northeastern University.

Ovechkin962

Aug 25, 2010
43 points in 19 games so far. With the draft being weak this year, I can see a team taking him in the first round as a high upside project.

Reactions: FrankGallagher

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Could be the next Tage Thompson, or the next Riley Tufte. These big dudes have certainly been difficult to get a read on in the past. Doesn’t get much easier when you take into account the league he plays in is not good.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
Could be the next Tage Thompson, or the next Riley Tufte. These big dudes have certainly been difficult to get a read on in the past. Doesn’t get much easier when you take into account the league he plays in is not good.
We’ll really see when he’ll play in the NCAA

sigx15

Jan 31, 2010
Recently committed to BC, big upside player. Have watched him play a couple times this year and last year vs Shattuck, he's been impressive. He's a complete man against boys this year, towers over everyone he plays against and looks like he's filled out a lot from last year. He looked pretty gangly last year but you could see the skill pop. This year, a lot of that awkwardness has dissipated. He has really good hands for a kid his size, good vision, quick decision making, sees the ice well. I can totally understand the upside people are talking about with him.

The big thing with him will be how the skating continues to develop. When I saw him last year vs Shattuck, his stride was one of those where he was picking his heel up off the ice too much and there was lots of lost energy. This year, it's smoothed out a lot but still some work to do, he's definitely not getting the most out of his size there but it's much better. His cross overs have improved a lot too, he uses them similar in a way to Tuch in style. I'd be shocked if he didn't work with a skating coach this summer because it's a pretty dramatic difference. That said, there's still a lot of runway to improve it but it looks a lot better

He was drafted by Sioux Falls in the USHL, I'd expect to see him there but I would also expect the BCHL to take a pretty good run at him. He should frankly be playing in the USHL now but I understand seeing him last year why he took another year at St Andrews. He had a lot of filling out to do and was still rough around the edges

As for where he ends up in the draft this year, I could see him anywhere from the last 1st to 2nd/3rd round. With him it will be all about projecting but I could definitely see a team fall in love with his size and skill and take him in the late 1st

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
Played in the USHL during the break, I believe. I don’t think anyone seriously would care about his first and last two games for a new team in a new league not producing points in such a small sample.
Still, no points in 2 games for the quality of player he is perceived to be is concerning. Especially considering the biggest knock on him is the league he plays in. So as soon as he plays in a quality league, he doesn’t produce.

Some have him going in the late first. Not making conclusions, but something to keep an eye on.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Still, no points in 2 games for the quality of player he is perceived to be is concerning. Especially considering the biggest knock on him is the league he plays in. So as soon as he plays in a quality league, he doesn’t produce.

Some have him going in the late first. Not making conclusions, but something to keep an eye on.
After 2 games? No.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
Sometimes these call ups don't get a lot of time and they don't know how the team plays, generally...no one would look at production like this unless that's all you do. Now, he had a fair amount of time in those games (I was pleasantly surprised, though I had to double back because the game report initially misreported his number...sick.).

I'm not gonna upset my own service's paywall...but he didn't look out place at this level, certainly.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Still, no points in 2 games for the quality of player he is perceived to be is concerning.
No it’s not. Gretzky, McDavid, and Bedard have all gone two games without a point before.
Not making conclusions, but something to keep an eye on.
True. And he’s likely going to play a full season for Sioux Falls next season. He’s not going to BC until 25/26.

Reactions: WhatTheDuck

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
6’6 guys are a coin flip .. Tage Thompson if you’re lucky or a Logan Brown if youze not
Tage Thompson was drafted at 6’3” and grew 4” post draft. That’s a big reason why he is so good, he already had the skills and the game to go first round without being extraordinarily tall, it just took him awhile to adjust to being so big and learning to use it to his advantage.

It isn’t a coin flip, that would make one think it is 50/50 when in reality Thompson is a unicorn and one of a kind, there are 10-20 players like Brown before Thompson came around. So no, it isn‘t a coin flip,

• Haha
Reactions: BondraTime

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Tage Thompson was drafted at 6’3” and grew 4” post draft. That’s a big reason why he is so good, he already had the skills and the game to go first round without being extraordinarily tall, it just took him awhile to adjust to being so big and learning to use it to his advantage.

It isn’t a coin flip, that would make one think it is 50/50 when in reality Thompson is a unicorn and one of a kind, there are 10-20 players like Brown before Thompson came around. So no, it isn‘t a coin flip,
Tage measured in at 6’5.5” at the combine before he was drafted.

BigHitter67

Feb 6, 2014
Tage measured in at 6’5.5” at the combine before he was drafted.

Gamble didn't pay off on McCarron, be sure he can skate
yup.. it’s a tough league to crack for the 6’6 forwards if they can’t move real good

Reactions: Craig Ludwig

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
  • Haha
Reactions: Dempsey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad