Prospect Info: (C) David Gustafsson (2018, 60th overall pick)

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
He got hurt every time they put him in the lineup.
I think he is given every opportunity to make the team but he needs to stay healthy.
1658539969984.jpeg

Heard he got new gear for this season. Now he’s ready!!!

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
No

But Depends entirely on your expectations for him.

IDK. He's mostly come as advertised in terms of special teams utility and generally responsible play, and was looking better with Linemate Whisperer Gagner until the latest line reshuffles.

I'd say he's stood out at times and made some plays, but hopefully will start to contribute more offensively as he beds in.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Good start?
1 assist, +1 after 6 games is probably as good as it can get for a guy getting 9 minutes a night. I don't think the 4th line in general will accumulate many points unless Gagner is on it. Defensively I think he's been noticeable in playing a game similar to Lowry which protects the d-men, good active stick breaking up plays.

Penalty kill, excluding the Leafs game, he's been good enough to hold down his spot.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
IDK. He's mostly come as advertised in terms of special teams utility and generally responsible play, and was looking better with Linemate Whisperer Gagner until the latest line reshuffles.

I'd say he's stood out at times and made some plays, but hopefully will start to contribute more offensively as he beds in.
He's played a minute per game of pk time and 0 on pp. idk if he's made a world of difference in that area. 1 pt, and on the wrong side of the shot and chance share. He's in his draft+5 year so this isn't a fresh rookie. I guess kudos for not getting hurt super early tho.

RustyCat

Registered homie
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
I think he has been effective in his role and doing what is expected of him at this time. If the expectation from the fanbase is a 25 or 30 point season they I feel it is unrealistic. In my view, if he keeps doing what he is doing right now he will have a successful, possibly underrated and under appreciated, career.

Reactions: JetsUK and hn777

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
R-E-L-A-X

Being a top 6 player was never in the cards for Gus. We need him to win faceoffs, kill penalties and become a player who doesn’t give up much. Give him 40 games to figure things out. It’s not like he can hurt the team much with 10 minutes/game. He will get there.

Talking prospects is always the worst here. It’s always freaking out “OMG! WE NEED TO GET THIS PLAYER TO THE NHL RIGHT NOW! HE‘S TOTALLY BETTER THAN EVERYTHING WE HAVE RIGHT NOW REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE”!

Then the player gets 5 games and then we get “What a loser, this guy sucks”!

Not everyone needs to be rushed and then given up on almost immediately so we can move on to the next “underutilized“ prospect. We get at least 6 years to develop prospects. It’s a long term plan.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
R-E-L-A-X

Being a top 6 player was never in the cards for Gus. We need him to win faceoffs, kill penalties and become a player who doesn’t give up much. Give him 40 games to figure things out. It’s not like he can hurt the team much with 10 minutes/game. He will get there.

Talking prospects is always the worst here. It’s always freaking out “OMG! WE NEED TO GET THIS PLAYER TO THE NHL RIGHT NOW! HE‘S TOTALLY BETTER THAN EVERYTHING WE HAVE RIGHT NOW REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE”!

Not everyone needs to be rushed and then given up on almost immediately so we can move on to the next “underutilized“ prospect. We get at least 6 years to develop prospects. It’s a long term plan.
So true! I don't think people really get objective career projections.

Samberg for instance. We wanted to trade Dillon to get him in the lineup when it's likely he'll never get to Dillons level. I see him as a peak #4 guy who doesn't seem to have much physicality or offense to his game. Still a very important player but why rush a guy who's only going to fill a need we already have, and burn through team owned years?

Most of the time these players can't even make it as an everyday player. I'm not going to name names because it's been beaten to death.

As much as it pains our fanbase, I think the team has developed our prospects really well, and if a player doesn't make the big club, it's because they simply aren't ready.

Heinola is a perfect example. He's tracking quite well in terms of similar prospects.

The argument is "well he's better than or couldn't be worse than player B" but that doesn't mean you should sacrifice their full potential.

With prospects you have to balance the need of the team with the need of the player.

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
R-E-L-A-X

He definitely deserves a chance to prove himself. His stats are pretty comparaple to Vesalainen offensively, so he'll have to prove his value defensively I think. So far I haven't seen much to make me think he's an upgrade on Toninato (who I'm not a huge fan of really), but I think he has it in him.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Gustafsson has more offensive potential than he's getting credit for.

Agreed, he's playing fine and has set some good opportunities up. This year is really about him learning to excel at the little things that will keep him in an NHL lineup. I suspect we will see more offense as he gets comfortable. I have no complaints with his play so far.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Gustafsson has more offensive potential than he's getting credit for.

Yep, he can pot a few but he’s also a solid playmaker who can set 'em on the cycle.

Reactions: wraithsonwings

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad