C Cutter Gauthier - Boston College, NCAA (2022, 5th, PHI; traded to ANA)

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Gauthier certainly has the potential to be a star in the NHL, then again he could also be another Adam Gaudette.

Nobody knows. Let the kid play before anointing him the next star or bust.
Just pointing out that Ducks fans have been pumping the breaks on any hype. I havent seen any Ducks fan saying he will be a star. I think most are expecting a 30-40 goal/30-40 assist guy. Anywhere from solid 2nd liner to solid 1st liner.

Ducksforcup

Jan 5, 2006
Irvine, California
I'm assuming he makes the Ducks next season?
Seems likely. Based on how the tournament is going, it looks like Cutter will get 1-2 games with Anaheim this season and then likely make the roster next season (assuming everything goes as expected).

The team desperately needs more offense and Cutter appears to be a player that can hopefully help in that department.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
Yeah I’m surprised that Smith didn’t make the Top 3.
Yeah, Smith is getting the "it was his linemates" treatment. He also doesn't pop at 5 on 5 like Cutter does.

As a Sharks fan who will have to deal with Cutter, my sober assessment is that he's not likely going to become a perennial 1st liner, but he will be a pain in the ass to play against. He just has that edge to him. I would foresee more like a 50-60 point winger, especially on a center-heavy ANA team. No expert though. Could see him struggling with playing a sound NHL 2-way game, or becoming a direct power forward top liner.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Yeah, Smith is getting the "it was his linemates" treatment. He also doesn't pop at 5 on 5 like Cutter does.

As a Sharks fan who will have to deal with Cutter, my sober assessment is that he's not likely going to become a perennial 1st liner, but he will be a pain in the ass to play against. He just has that edge to him. I would foresee more like a 50-60 point winger, especially on a center-heavy ANA team. No expert though. Could see him struggling with playing a sound NHL 2-way game, or becoming a direct power forward top liner.

I think Gauthier has 1st line potential and a lot depends how he meshes with guys like Carlsson and McTavish. Ducks don’t shoot the puck so think he will be a nice compliment to what we already have.

Cutter has gotten a lot of unwarranted hate and people call him overrated. Or have called him a floater or invisible. 37 goals in 39 games is not easy to do. Snipers are supposed to be invisible but he brings physicality and is good on defense.

if him and Leo hit it off, could see a new generation of Getzlaf and Perry with maybe even higher potential in production. Don’t have the mean streak like that duo but will make it up in offense.

sigx15

Jan 31, 2010
I think Gauthier has 1st line potential and a lot depends how he meshes with guys like Carlsson and McTavish. Ducks don’t shoot the puck so think he will be a nice compliment to what we already have.

Cutter has gotten a lot of unwarranted hate and people call him overrated. Or have called him a floater or invisible. 37 goals in 39 games is not easy to do. Snipers are supposed to be invisible but he brings physicality and is good on defense.

if him and Leo hit it off, could see a new generation of Getzlaf and Perry with maybe even higher potential in production. Don’t have the mean streak like that duo but will make it up in offense.
Anyone who calls him a floater hasn’t watched him this year plain and simple. He’s literally BC’s go-to center at shutting down another team’s top line

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Anyone who calls him a floater hasn’t watched him this year plain and simple. He’s literally BC’s go-to center at shutting down another team’s top line

Yup. He's also good at winning those puck battles on the walls. Something very lacking on the Ducks team as well. Last game showed his playmaking ability.

Reactions: Kalv

sigx15

Jan 31, 2010
Definitely doesn't help when you have your worst game of the year as people's last impression going into the voting for it.
Ya it kind of sucks he got hurt in the tech game, really hindered him this past weekend

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
Just pointing out that Ducks fans have been pumping the breaks on any hype. I havent seen any Ducks fan saying he will be a star. I think most are expecting a 30-40 goal/30-40 assist guy. Anywhere from solid 2nd liner to solid 1st liner.
A 30-40 goal/30-40 assist player doesn't exactly sound like pumping the brakes. Those numbers are absolutely equivalent to a Star in the NHL...that would be an incredible outcome for Gauthier

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
A 30-40 goal/30-40 assist player doesn't exactly sound like pumping the brakes. Those numbers are absolutely equivalent to a Star in the NHL...that would be an incredible outcome for Gauthier
30-30 is a solid 2nd liner. Considering he is a top 5 prospect in the NHL that’s not asking for much.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
30-30 is a solid 2nd liner. Considering he is a top 5 prospect in the NHL that’s not asking for much.

Right now there are 70 players with 25 or more goals (so let's ballpark that 70 players reach 30 goals by the end of the season). That's fewer than three players per team.

A 30-goal scorer is not a second liner, solid or otherwise.

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
Right now there are 70 players with 25 or more goals (so let's ballpark that 70 players reach 30 goals by the end of the season). That's fewer than three players per team.

A 30-goal scorer is not a second liner, solid or otherwise.
Yeah exactly, how many of these 2nd liner Anaheim got? I don't for a fact that we have none in MTL and Ottawa.

Reactions: Bear of Bad News

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Philadelphia fans are undeniably coping. They're coping like no one has ever coped before. It's likely going to be a very lopsided trade. Cutter is going to hover at 1 PPG for the vast majority of his career, with multiple 40 goal seasons. Not just a couple

I'm a philly fan
As they should, and it is a reason that I thought Lindross' comments to blame the flyer's org suggesting they should have kept the trade request private even after the trade. This trade will almost certainly be looked at as lopsided unless the flyer land some sort of hidden gem with the draft pick. I feel bad for basically everyone in this situation except the Duck's org bc Gautier, the Flyers, and the Flyer's fans will not really be winners out of this whole mess. Gauthier will have this follow him through his career, but at least he is on the complete opposite coast and only needs to directly live this once or twice a season.

Oct 18, 2011

I'll take the over on 50-60 points when he's going to playing off of Carlsson

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site

Aug 25, 2009
éal
Ducks farm team is out of the playoff picture. Is it 1 NHL game then vacation for him? Or is he joining the US team for the WC?

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Ducks farm team is out of the playoff picture. Is it 1 NHL game then vacation for him? Or is he joining the US team for the WC?

Hoping gauthier and zegras can play together at World Cup…. I think their styles compliment each other nicely

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad