C Connor McDavid - Erie Otters, OHL (2015 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alberta tough

Sep 3, 2008
Still on top!
Ive been lucky enough to see Connor play between 20-30 games this year, If he doesnt get exceptional status, it wont have anything to do with his skills or abilities, id argue hes right up there with the Ho-Sang's.

If he does get exceptional status the article suggest it could be a toss up as to who goes first overall. It also says Ho-Sang has better skill, but McDavid is more well rounded. Does this seem correct?

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
If he does get exceptional status the article suggest it could be a toss up as to who goes first overall. It also says Ho-Sang has better skill, but McDavid is more well rounded. Does this seem correct?

Have seen both numerous times. Ho-Sang is more flash and dash. McDavid's hockey sense is off the charts. You'll see him hold on the puck for what you'd think is way too long, and then thread a perfect pass that sets up a scoring chance you didn't't see coming. McDavid also makes better use of his line-mates, where Ho-Sang more often than not will try to do it all himself (which he usually can).

Both are tremendous, but if McDavid gets granted exceptional status, I think he goes first overall. He's just a more well-rounded player, and that extra year of development teams will get out him certainly won't hurt.

If you get a chance to see the '96 Marlies, do yourself a favor and go. Rare to see high-end talent like McDavid & Ho Sang on the same Minor Midget team.

Tigers1992

Dec 13, 2009
Have seen both numerous times. Ho-Sang is more flash and dash. McDavid's hockey sense is off the charts. You'll see him hold on the puck for what you'd think is way too long, and then thread a perfect pass that sets up a scoring chance you didn't't see coming. McDavid also makes better use of his line-mates, where Ho-Sang more often than not will try to do it all himself (which he usually can).

Both are tremendous, but if McDavid gets granted exceptional status, I think he goes first overall. He's just a more well-rounded player, and that extra year of development teams will get out him certainly won't hurt.

If you get a chance to see the '96 Marlies, do yourself a favor and go. Rare to see high-end talent like McDavid & Ho Sang on the same Minor Midget team.

What he said ;)

UvBnDatsyuked

Apr 30, 2005

Good write up.
Being able to do it all yourself comes to an end at some point.

Pick Six

@Lafortune_FC
Jan 1, 2009
Mississauga
Good write up.

Garyboy was correct that they're times where Ho-Sang tries to do it all himself. That being said, he's also probably the best playmaker in the province. I wouldn't worry about that.

I also agree that McDavid would go #1, because of that extra year. The OHL is in great hands with these two, in what's shaping up to be an incredible draft.

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
Garyboy was correct that they're times where Ho-Sang tries to do it all himself. That being said, he's also probably the best playmaker in the province. I wouldn't worry about that.

I also agree that McDavid would go #1, because of that extra year. The OHL is in great hands with these two, in what's shaping up to be an incredible draft.

A little off topic (my apologies), but are you or Tigers familiar with the '97 GTHL class? Is it considered a strong group? I watched the Marlies and Vaughn Kings Bantams and came away thinking it wasn't up to the level as some of the other top Bantam teams I have seen from the GTHL in recent years. Thanks.

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
Good write up.

Thank you. Yes, I remember hearing a few OHL scouts at the SilverStick mention that exact thing.

PuckSix is right though. When Ho-Sang wants to, he can distribute the puck with the best of them.

NHL Fanatic

Oct 4, 2010
GTA

It's weird because Ho-sang had that same problem in Bantam with not utilizing his teammates enough but when he played with the 95's he played a lot different and did very well moving the puck with guys like Cianfrone and Ritchie etc. He is so good, he could easily do it if he wanted too.

McDavid is hands down a phenomenal prospect and only getting better. His hands and vision are something that you just don't see everyday. The combination of him and Ho-sang are just lethal. I will never forget the first time catching a glimpse of McDavid's play in Major Peewee while waiting to watch a Minor Midget game at a tournament. He was very impressing and you saw the potential at a young age. I found it a bit creepy when you got agents stocking the kid before him playing a game of Minor Bantam.

Pick Six

@Lafortune_FC
Jan 1, 2009
Mississauga
A little off topic (my apologies), but are you or Tigers familiar with the '97 GTHL class? Is it considered a strong group? I watched the Marlies and Vaughn Kings Bantams and came away thinking it wasn't up to the level as some of the other top Bantam teams I have seen from the GTHL in recent years. Thanks.

I'm not sure to be honest. I haven't gotten to see any '97s outside of McDavid. I can't imagine it's as strong as the '96 class, which is the best class the OHL has seen in years. I watched Dylan Strome a few years ago, Ryan's younger brother, and you could notice he had talent.

As for the GTHL, I'm sure there'll be players coming from all over Ontario to play in the GTHL as there is every year.

It's weird because Ho-sang had that same problem in Bantam with not utilizing his teammates enough but when he played with the 95's he played a lot different and did very well moving the puck with guys like Cianfrone and Ritchie etc. He is so good, he could easily do it if he wanted too.

And that's what I see him doing at the next level. As a 16-year-old that is. Ho-Sang's a smart player, he does those end-to-end rushes in MM because he can. Which is why when playing against players a year older, he simplified his game.

McDavid is hands down a phenomenal prospect and only getting better. His hands and vision are something that you just don't see everyday. The combination of him and Ho-sang are just lethal. I will never forget the first time catching a glimpse of McDavid's play in Major Peewee while waiting to watch a Minor Midget game at a tournament. He was very impressing and you saw the potential at a young age. I found it a bit creepy when you got agents stocking the kid before him playing a game of Minor Bantam.

Great post, I definitely agree. McDavid should be pretty well-known by now, especially after playing in the OHL Cup last year with the '95s.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
josh is about 5-11 160 pounds. His skill is obvious for sure. I also noticed he does things on his own too much and its frustrating to watch. It came across as hot dogging at the Marlboros holiday classic.

Connor Mcdavid probably wont get OHL exemption because of his size. He is a tad shorter and lighter than Ho sang. He is so smart though that i could see him avoiding any big hits in OHL. Ive never seen McDavid take a big hit. As stated before Mcdavid's vision and unselfish play are outstanding. He makes everyone on the ice with him dangerous and better. Many times it seems like he is the only guy on the ice who sees the open man. As far as im concerned he is 2 or 3 plays ahead in his mind.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Now that i think about it....Mcdavid has been playing up a year for a while how many years? at least 3 i think. The fact that he is in the OHL prospects game and dominating minor midget, wont that make him automatic for the ohl draft?

shello

Mar 5, 2011
MTL/NYC
josh is about 5-11 160 pounds. His skill is obvious for sure. I also noticed he does things on his own too much and its frustrating to watch. It came across as hot dogging at the Marlboros holiday classic.

Connor Mcdavid probably wont get OHL exemption because of his size. He is a tad shorter and lighter than Ho sang. He is so smart though that i could see him avoiding any big hits in OHL. Ive never seen McDavid take a big hit. As stated before Mcdavid's vision and unselfish play are outstanding. He makes everyone on the ice with him dangerous and better. Many times it seems like he is the only guy on the ice who sees the open man. As far as im concerned he is 2 or 3 plays ahead in his mind.

I've never seen Mcdaid play, but by your description it sounds like Ryan Nugent-Hopkins on how smart he is out there and never/rarely gets hit.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Jan 17th 2012 GTHL : Rebels vs MArlboros.

The Marlboros had to win the game to clinch the regular season championship. The Rebels could win or tie and they would win. Needless to say its the most important game of the reg season. Alot on the line here. Marlboros pulled there goalie in the third with the score tied 3-3. Mcdavid scores the winner with 10 seconds left. MArlboros win 4-3 and clinch Reg season championship. McDavid had 4 points. 2 Goals and 2 assists. His first goal he undressed #1 rated goalie Liam Herbst with a breakaway deke, he went backhand topshelf with blazing speed. His 2 assists were plays he created and drew the defense to him and then set up Bennett who was wide open in the slot. This kid is incredible. He has very deceptive speed and seems to accelerate at the exact right time to get away. Great speed but also incredible cross over and edge work. Seems to love to go behind the net. I watched the whole game and i have to say i was trying to find one mistake he would make. Even a pass to the wrong player in a given situation i was looking for. I couldnt find one questionable play. This kid is extremely smart/his vision is special. This is a '97 born doing this with a '96 class thats deemed very very good.

Last edited:

Nicker2481

Jan 15, 2012
I was wondering for the people who have watched him play alot this season where he would ranks with the likes of stamkos, tavares, spezza and other highly touted prosepects at the same age

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
I was wondering for the people who have watched him play alot this season where he would ranks with the likes of stamkos, tavares, spezza and other highly touted prosepects at the same age

In the ho-sang thread people are saying he is on par with hall and stamkos at the same age, and that mcdavid is better than ho-sang for his age.

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
I feel the ohl might be reluctant to allow 2 players in 2 years to receive exceptional status

on the other hand, if anyone is ready to step up it is supposedly mcdavid (i have yet to see him yet)

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I feel the ohl might be reluctant to allow 2 players in 2 years to receive exceptional status

on the other hand, if anyone is ready to step up it is supposedly mcdavid (i have yet to see him yet)

U should check him out. Try and find one thing he does wrong during the course of a game? Even a dangerous pass..anything...On top of that watch him utilize his team-mates. Im sure if u go watch u will see him tally 3 or 4 points. He is a genius passing the puck. He has explosive speed , incredible edge work, never seen him take a big hit.

Last edited:

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
I remember in the hockey news I think they said mcdavid had until the end of january to apply to enter the draft? Is that true? And if so does anyone know if he did?

Tigers1992

Dec 13, 2009
I remember in the hockey news I think they said mcdavid had until the end of january to apply to enter the draft? Is that true? And if so does anyone know if he did?

The date to apply is February 15th.

Id be shocked if he doesnt.

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
Nice, kid sounds like the real deal. Do you think he will be the 1st selection if he is granted? And how do you think he will do as a 15 year old next season if he gets the nod?

He'd go first. As to how well he does, I think that depends on how much stronger he's able to get during the off season, and the situation he's put into. One thing is for sure, he has the skill-set to put up good numbers as an underager.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad