C Connor McDavid - Erie Otters, OHL (2015 Draft) IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
And 100% if Drouin was playing he would do better than both.

No one will say Drouin is a better player in the NHL than Mackinnon, but in a junior tournamnet, 100% Drouin dominates, could put up Schenn-like numbers.

Point is World Juniors isnt the pros. Dougie Hamilton was terrible at the 2013 tournament and 2 months later was suiting up for the Bruins

Shame Drouin couldn't light it up last tournament. Unless you count taking penalties.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Yet you don't get fighting in any of the European leagues, NCAA, when NHL players play at the Olympics, and very rarely in the playoffs. For something that you claim is so natural, the players manage to avoid it a lot.

There actually are fights in Europe and NCAA. The direct result of aggressive men playing an aggressive sport. The difference is simply in the rules and timing. By creating a short tournament like the Olympics, that severely penalizes fights and the playoffs with the risk of an extra penalty being called to great players try their best to control emotions. But even then there are fights in the playoffs and the Olympics can be contentious to say the least.

If you want to remove fighting as much as possible, go for it. But to argue it's not natural for players in probably the second most aggressive violent team sport in the world to occasionally fight is silly.

Tyler Biggs*

Hockey is getting soft.

It's easy to say he shouldn't have fought after the kid broke his hand. If he didn't break it, you'd all be praising him for sticking up for himself.

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
Hockey is getting soft.

Good, I prefer to watch skilled players play rather than mindless oafs.

If he didn't break it, you'd all be praising him for sticking up for himself.

No I wouldn't. He was stupid for fighting earlier in the year as well.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/...9&utm_source=FB - NHL on NBC Sports&utm_tags=

Crosby fought Niskanen in 09 while Pens were in one of the worst slumps in franchise history.

It turned the season around, with the Pens winning their next 19 out of 23 games.

Months later, the Stanley Cup returned to Pittsburgh. Sometimes you've just gotta drop the mittens.

Correlation =/= causation. Nothing can be concluded here.

Tyler Biggs*

Everyone who is a man knows that you would want to stand up for yourself every once in a while instead of some enforcer stepping in.

Sometimes people just have to take care of their own business.

Monstar Jay*

Good, I prefer to watch skilled players play rather than mindless oafs.

No I wouldn't. He was stupid for fighting earlier in the year as well.

Correlation =/= causation. Nothing can be concluded here.

So glad your opinion is in the minority and will never be listened too :)

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
So far Erie has lost both games without without McDavid, after being basically unstoppable with McDavid (they were 16-1-1 before these last 2 games). Strome with 2 points in those 2 games, has 41 points in 18 games with McDavid. DeBrincat with 1 point in those 2 games, versus 34 points in 18 games with McDavid.

It'll be interesting to see how the team fares over the coming weeks, but I won't be surprised at all to see them tank, and to see the production of guys like Strome and DeBrincat come WAY back down to earth. If Strome drops to 1 PPG or so without McDavid, that likely crushes his draft stock.

Edit: nevermind! After a slow first 2 games, Erie in general, as well as Strome specifically, have really got back to playing great hockey.

Last edited:
So far Erie has lost both games without without McDavid, after being basically unstoppable with McDavid (they were 16-1-1 before these last 2 games). Strome with 2 points in those 2 games, has 41 points in 18 games with McDavid. DeBrincat with 1 point in those 2 games, versus 34 points in 18 games with McDavid.

It'll be interesting to see how the team fares over the coming weeks, but I won't be surprised at all to see them tank, and to see the production of guys like Strome and DeBrincat come WAY back down to earth. If Strome drops to 1 PPG or so without McDavid, that likely crushes his draft stock.
I don't think they'll "crap out" so to speak. McDavid added an awful lot to that line up..no doubt..but the others just have to find their own identity right now. This is still a very talented club. It will take a few games to shuffle out.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
If this is what he looks like 2 weeks in to recovery I'm confident he's playing boxing day.

I have no doubt he'll be playing right away for Canada. The question is will he play a game or two for Erie before he leaves for camp.

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
No doubt about the WJC.

Hope he's ready for December 7th, getting in a couple of games will do the kid good before camp and that seems to be the timeline of when these injuries seem to be healed.

Sonic Disturbance

Grandmaster User
Jan 1, 2009
http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/...9&utm_source=FB - NHL on NBC Sports&utm_tags=

Crosby fought Niskanen in 09 while Pens were in one of the worst slumps in franchise history.

It turned the season around, with the Pens winning their next 19 out of 23 games.

Months later, the Stanley Cup returned to Pittsburgh. Sometimes you've just gotta drop the mittens.

Actually... Crosby fought Niskanen in November of 2010 (two seasons later). I think you're remembering his fight with Brett Maclean. I think the Pens winning streak had more to do with a coaching change than a fight. :help:

BB6

Feb 14, 2012
Canada
No doubt about the WJC.

Hope he's ready for December 7th, getting in a couple of games will do the kid good before camp and that seems to be the timeline of when these injuries seem to be healed.

They play the Bulls around that time, I was hoping to see him but then this happened.

Frosty415

Nov 27, 2009
415 to 519
Im not saying Mackinnon is the better player, Im saying he would have a better tournament, there is a big difference. As a 19 year old with a year and a half in the NHL compared to McDavid as a 17 year old. 100% Mackinnon would have a better tournament.

I like how your pulling percentages out your arse.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Kinda think Erie should trade for Tyler Bertuzzi or Nick Ritchie. They'll drop the gloves for McDavid and skilled enough to play with him.

GuillaumeLetsundress*

Kinda think Erie should trade for Tyler Bertuzzi or Nick Ritchie. They'll drop the gloves for McDavid and skilled enough to play with him.

although petes not looking like it, they arent in sell mode and neither are the guelph storm, erie has enough big guys that will go if need be. Mcdavid hasnt been chased around the rink being jumped

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad