C Connor Bedard - Regina Pats, WHL (2023 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeterCheater

Feb 22, 2014
I might've read your comment wrong, but didn't the whole thing with Finns putting Matthews down start getting serious after 2016 WJC? I don't think Matthews vs Laine was any sort of debate when they were 15, because they weren't as prominent at 15 as Bedard or Mitchkov are right now.
Yeah, it got really toxic after WJC and WCH in 2016, when Laine out-produced AMs numbers. And I guess it's also a good example that we shouldn't overrate tournament-sample size of production.

I agree with your comments about Bedard, but that being said, I think he's much more to prove than Michkov at this point of their careers considering their early hype. He's been really great in WHL this season and it shouldn't be underestimated in any way, but it was 15 games-sample, WCH U-18 is like a half of that. I love what I saw from Bedard this year, but it's way too early to call him generational, although his small sample production in WHL may be an indication that he's talented enough to be the one. And if you're called ''generational'', the standard people expect from you is much higher than from average potential 1st draft picks.

Reactions: Genu

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
In 20 years, it has happened to me to give 3 times the status of generational player (best player of his decade of birth) at 15 years old.

These players are called Sidney Crosby, Connor McDavid and Connor Bedard.

It's been since 2018 and his performances at WSI U13 that I have categorized him as a Franchise High. 3 years later he still has that tag on my mind.

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
Been dozens, hundreds (depending on how far you want to go back) of guys Bedard's size or smaller who've played in the AHL. Wouldn't be a good idea for him to play in the ahl, for many reasons, but he could...easily. According to most reports Krebs was one of Henderson's best players in his short time there. What's the difference between Krebs and Bedard?. The best players in the whl can almost always play in the ahl, that's been true for a very very long time.

BigHitter67

Feb 6, 2014
Been dozens, hundreds (depending on how far you want to go back) of guys Bedard's size or smaller who've played in the AHL. Wouldn't be a good idea for him to play in the ahl, for many reasons, but he could...easily. According to most reports Krebs was one of Henderson's best players in his short time there. What's the difference between Krebs and Bedard?. The best players in the whl can almost always play in the ahl, that's been true for a very very long time.

Wrong. The shorties that have played in A were all men. He is 15. I dont give a shit what he did in short sampling of games in dub. he is a kid.

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
You're massively over-rating the manliness of guys like Shinkaruk or Vey (and many others) when they played in the ahl, directly after their last year in the dub. Bedard looks to be at least as strong on his skates as a bunch of guys like that. I know hard to beleive a 15 year old could be as strong as some 20 year olds eh? Actually, not really. It's not that unusual. Way more uncommon for a 15 year old to be as good a player as some of the best 20 yr olds coming out of the chl.
Also: If you think the strength and physical play of these u18's are the reason he's not blowing up the stat sheet i don't know what to tell you. We're clearly watching different games. He's not struggling out there at all.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Yeah, it got really toxic after WJC and WCH in 2016, when Laine out-produced AMs numbers. And I guess it's also a good example that we shouldn't overrate tournament-sample size of production.

I agree with your comments about Bedard, but that being said, I think he's much more to prove than Michkov at this point of their careers considering their early hype. He's been really great in WHL this season and it shouldn't be underestimated in any way, but it was 15 games-sample, WCH U-18 is like a half of that. I love what I saw from Bedard this year, but it's way too early to call him generational, although his small sample production in WHL may be an indication that he's talented enough to be the one. And if you're called ''generational'', the standard people expect from you is much higher than from average potential 1st draft picks.

Yeah you would think this board would learn that any small sample size be it a international tournament or shortened league play is just not enough to really crown any player. But alas here we are rehashing the same old shit as always. People never learn that a lot can change in a couple months let alone years.

Reactions: wetcoast

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
Yeah you would think this board would learn that any small sample size be it a international tournament or shortened league play is just not enough to really crown any player. But alas here we are rehashing the same old shit as always. People never learn that a lot can change in a couple months let alone years.
Same old shit, that's right. Just like alot of North Americans shit talked what Michkov did in leagues they had never heard of, on the other side of the ocean they said the same shit about what Bedard did. This is the Bedard thread...to clear it up for you, just because some think all minor hockey in western canada is garbage, some of us know that Bedard did shit that's never been done in western canada in a very long time, if ever. If ya don't know....ya don't know.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
You and everyone else here would pumping up Bedard if it was him scoring nine goals in four games. Like this thread explode when he dominate the joke of a division for 15 games... but its Michkov who is head and shoulders above everyone else.

Sure some people do put way too much emphasis on short tournaments but your last sentence means very little.

What each player does between now and the 23 draft and how they project to NHL teams is all that really matters and anyone thinking that either player is head and shoulders above right now certainly would make a real lousy scout to say the least.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
All right, boys and girls...hockey fans...today is quarter final day...when the game matters, exceptional players come to play. puck drop @ 4 pm ET. Don't miss it.

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin

Bedard would be physically crushed in the AHL. Any 15 year old would.

He might be the same size as Shinkaruk, Vey or Krebs, but a 15 year old’s muscle force is significantly lower than that of a 18-20 year old of the same size. He would be less capable of fully employing his higher-threshold, type-II motor units as they are not as developed in 15 year olds. This discrepancy would be magnified tenfold the higher/stronger the competition is.
It’s simple human biology. Man strength vs teen strength.
The only exception would be perhaps a 15 year old Eric Lindros type monster in the AHL, but Bedard isn't that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Puckclektr

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
For those that watch Bedard frequently, give me your breakdown of his game. With a 5/5 being NHL ready how do you rate his skating, shooting, passing, IQ, hands and physicality. Break them into sub-categories if you think that's more descriptive, ie: (let's say you think he has good edge work, acceleration and lateral mobility but has a slow top speed) then maybe for skating you would do:
skating agility 5/5
but straight line speed 2/5.
Very agile, turns rapidly and can accelerate well but lacks top end speed right now.

Who do you (stylistically) compare him to? If you had to give a floor/ceiling?

BigHitter67

Feb 6, 2014
For those that watch Bedard frequently, give me your breakdown of his game. With a 5/5 being NHL ready how do you rate his skating, shooting, passing, IQ, hands and physicality. Break them into sub-categories if you think that's more descriptive, ie: (let's say you think he has good edge work, acceleration and lateral mobility but has a slow top speed) then maybe for skating you would do:
skating agility 5/5
but straight line speed 2/5.
Very agile, turns rapidly and can accelerate well but lacks top end speed right now.

Who do you (stylistically) compare him to? If you had to give a floor/ceiling?

'NHL Ready'...?,,he's 15! so 0/5
If you're asking to rate his skillset..elite hands,shot,IQ,shiftyness(agility) 5/5....but only just above average open ice speed 3/5 ..and to be the generational talent his fans are predicting at NHL level he will 100% have to gain a couple inches in height. He should have few more months to grow as he doesnt turn 16 till july.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad