C Connor Bedard - Regina Pats, WHL (2023 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NatusVincere

Nov 30, 2018
I don't actually need to pump Michkov's tires, because Matvei does it way better, than I...

You have to understand that some people are nervous that a russian will be the best player in the world for a very, very long time.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
You have to understand that some people are nervous that a russian will be the best player in the world for a very, very long time.

No one is nervous about that. A Russian has been the best scorer in the league for well over a decade now. The constant need to prove that a Russian player is the best really shows your guys insecurity about it though.

prongertheman9

May 30, 2010
No one is nervous about that. A Russian has been the best scorer in the league for well over a decade now. The constant need to prove that a Russian player is the best really shows your guys insecurity about it though.
I can see where the insecurity stems from though. The best Russian NHL’er (Ovi) happens to play in the exact same era as a generational Canadian and always lives in his shadow. Now the next big Russian prospect could be in the same situation.

I actually love Michkov’s game and want to see him do well but the Russian posters on here who can’t celebrate Michkov (or any Russian prospect) without putting Bedard down make me want to root against him. Don’t ruin the enjoyment of us cheering young Russian’s on fellas - stay humble!

Reactions: The Sweetness

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I can see where the insecurity stems from though. The best Russian NHL’er (Ovi) happens to play in the exact same era as a generational Canadian and always lives in his shadow. Now the next big Russian prospect could be in the same situation.

I actually love Michkov’s game and want to see him do well but the Russian posters on here who can’t celebrate Michkov (or any Russian prospect) without putting Bedard down make me want to root against him. Don’t ruin the enjoyment of us cheering young Russian’s on fellas - stay humble!

I'd imagine Michkov will have to compete with a prime Matthews for rockets and it's not like prime McDavid is going anywhere either, whose likely to win most Art Ross titles from here on out. I highly doubt any of Michkov, Wright, Lambert or Bedard will be usurping their rule for the next decade.

Reactions: wetcoast

prongertheman9

May 30, 2010
I'd imagine Michkov will have to compete with a prime Matthews for rockets and it's not like prime McDavid is going anywhere either, whose likely to win most Art Ross titles from here on out. I highly doubt any of Michkov, Wright, Lambert or Bedard will be usurping their rule for the next decade.
Hard to say what McD’s game looks like when he hits 30 though and potentially loses a step. Does he start rounding out his 200 foot game a bit more a la Crosby. Based on Bedard and Michkov’s body of work so far, I certainly wouldn’t rule them winning scoring titles out in the next decade.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Hard to say what McD’s game looks like when he hits 30 though and potentially loses a step. Does he start rounding out his 200 foot game a bit more a la Crosby. Based on Bedard and Michkov’s body of work so far, I certainly wouldn’t rule them winning scoring titles out in the next decade.

It's possible but I don't think it's super likely he loses a step unless he's injured. Though it all depends on how well he takes care of himself into old age.

Reactions: prongertheman9

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
Mcdavid is one of those players who will just re-event himself if he loses a step. Its not like he is just a burner who has no hockey IQ and skates past everyone.

Reactions: BestPlayerAvailable

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
Michkov is not Laine. You will learn it quick.

That should be obvious to anyone. Laine relied too hard on his physical gifts and porous defence in the junior level to get his shot off.

Michkov has a Matthews-level release with elite puck handling to create his own chances.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Yet you do it anyway...

Ehhh that’s the nature of hockey fandom.

Michkov is the best Russian and European prospect overall since Ovi almost 20 years ago. Bedard is the best Canadian prospect since McDavid.

Bedard and Michkov are going to be tied at the hip and compared for the coming decades.

Fun time to be a hockey fan seeing these two come up at the same time.

Reactions: Muffinalt

NatusVincere

Nov 30, 2018
Ehhh that’s the nature of hockey fandom.

Michkov is the best Russian and European prospect overall since Ovi almost 20 years ago. Bedard is the best Canadian prospect since McDavid.

Bedard and Michkov are going to be tied at the hip and compared for the coming decades.

Fun time to be a hockey fan seeing these two come up at the same time.

Why you think so? Don’t think that almost 2.0 PPG in the east division of the WHL is something meaningful when you see that one is significantly further than the other at the same tournament.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Why you think so? Don’t think that almost 2.0 PPG in the east division of the WHL is something meaningful when you see that one is significantly further than the other at the same tournament.

Comparison of the two players does not logically flow to the relative strength of the leagues in a short tournament like this. The WHL is an excellent development league to prepare players for the NHL, but yes, the east division of the WHL is a weaker division within the WHL no debate there.

Putting up 2 ppg in any division in the WHL is a big deal though to be clear especially as a 15 year old. It’s ignorance to suggest otherwise.

Bedard has had some good chances in his own right he probably should have a few more points and isn’t playing his natural centre position either.

Michkov would be putting up big numbers in any junior league he would be playing in. He’s a special talent.

NatusVincere

Nov 30, 2018
Comparison of the two players does not logically flow to the relative strength of the leagues in a short tournament like this. The WHL is an excellent development league to prepare players for the NHL, but yes, the east division of the WHL is a weaker division within the WHL no debate there.

Putting up 2 ppg in any division in the WHL is a big deal though to be clear especially as a 15 year old. It’s ignorance to suggest otherwise.

Bedard has had some good chances in his own right he probably should have a few more points and isn’t playing his natural centre position either.

Michkov would be putting up big numbers in any junior league he would be playing in. He’s a special talent.

At the end of the the day the WHL or the east division of the WHL is a regional competition. I for my part value the results of the world championship significantly higher. And the way it looks up to now, one is clearly better than the other. And it’s not even close.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
At the end of the the day the WHL or the east division of the WHL is a regional competition. I for my part value the results of the world championship significantly higher. And the way it looks up to now, one is clearly better than the other. And it’s not even close.

He’s having a great tournament no doubt it. I’m sure Kharlamov is looking down smiling seeing possibly one of the best prospects from Russia since the Soviet era wearing his number.

NatusVincere

Nov 30, 2018
He’s having a great tournament no doubt it. I’m sure Kharlamov is looking down smiling seeing possibly one of the best prospects from Russia since the Soviet era wearing his number.

Yeah, quite a nice thought.

NatusVincere

Nov 30, 2018
I'm well aware.

I've been praising Michkov for a while. But in the end, these are 15-year-old players, and pumping them up to such heights can lead to serious embarrassment.

You and everyone else here would pumping up Bedard if it was him scoring nine goals in four games. Like this thread explode when he dominate the joke of a division for 15 games... but its Michkov who is head and shoulders above everyone else.

NatusVincere

Nov 30, 2018

Bedard and everyone else will lives in the shadow of Michkov for a long long time. You better get used to it.

prongertheman9

May 30, 2010
Bedard and everyone else will lives in the shadow of Michkov for a long long time. You better get used to it.
I truly hope that Michkov becomes the best hockey player of all time. I cheer for Canada in international tournaments but when it comes to players I just want to see the best product possible in the NHL and it doesn’t matter what country the players come from - I would be just as happy if my NHL team had a star Russian as Canadian. What about you?

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
You and everyone else here would pumping up Bedard if it was him scoring nine goals in four games. Like this thread explode when he dominate the joke of a division for 15 games... but its Michkov who is head and shoulders above everyone else.

Nothing wrong with pumping him up.

Just like there was nothing wrong in pumping Laine up.

It's when you start putting another player down that things become dodgy including praising Michkov in Bedard's thread. That's exactly what Laine fans used to do with Matthews when he was 15.

Genu

Mar 19, 2011
Finland
Nothing wrong with pumping him up.

Just like there was nothing wrong in pumping Laine up.

It's when you start putting another player down that things become dodgy including praising Michkov in Bedard's thread. That's exactly what Laine fans used to do with Matthews when he was 15.

I might've read your comment wrong, but didn't the whole thing with Finns putting Matthews down start getting serious after 2016 WJC? I don't think Matthews vs Laine was any sort of debate when they were 15, because they weren't as prominent at 15 as Bedard or Mitchkov are right now.

Point still stands, it is sad to see people putting down the rivals of their favourite players. Player like Mitchkov stands out on his own. Absolutely no need to put Bedard down to make him look better. Just as there was no need to do that with Matthews and Laine. I hope these boards won't become as unreadable in 2023 as they were back then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad