C Connor Bedard - Regina Pats, WHL (2023 Draft) Part 4

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
I'll admit I haven't watched him a ton and I'll get pooped on but I have not been overly impressed with what I've seen. He's been good but I don't see generational talent in what I've seen. I'd have to watch more though.

• Haha
Reactions: WeThreeKings

FDBluth

Jul 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
I'll admit I haven't watched him a ton and I'll get pooped on but I have not been overly impressed with what I've seen. He's been good but I don't see generational talent in what I've seen. I'd have to watch more though.
You should familiarize with how good 17 year olds are in this tournament. Even generational ones like Crosby and McDavid.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
McDavid got 11 points in 7 games
Crosby had 9 points in 6 games

Bedard now has 23 points in 7 games. He’s been insanely good. Not saying he’s at that level, but he’s produced huge numbers at every level.
It’s 23 in 6 games, actually! 7th game yet to be played.

Most by far in a WJC for a draft eligible player - Jagr previously had the record at 18 points. And he’ll probably snag 2nd most ever, regardless of age, tomorrow. 2nd is currently a tie between Naslund and some random Finn at 24 (Naslund did it as Foppa’s linemate back in 1993, when Foppa hit the borderline unbreakable record with 31). So Bedard needs 1 point to move into a tie for 2nd, 2 points to be alone at 2nd, and I think it’s likely he gets 2+.

I actually agree that he didn’t have a great game - easily his worst of the tourney IMO. But he’s having an absolutely insane tourney overall, and it’s impressive he can still drop a goal and an assist as a 17 year old at the WJC, on an off night.

Last edited:

FDBluth

Jul 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
And that's fair. I don't remember so I can be completely wrong.
I can't remember McDavid too well but with Crosby I remember that later on in the tournament he was pretty much a secondary player. McDavid I remember being a bit more impactful in the later bigger games. Bedard is still a huge focal point on offense even in these games (though he didn't get as many opportunities tonight, still made two really decisive plays that led to goals).

Reactions: kylbaz

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I can't remember McDavid too well but with Crosby I remember that later on in the tournament he was pretty much a secondary player. McDavid I remember being a bit more impactful in the later bigger games. Bedard is still a huge focal point on offense even in these games (though he didn't get as many opportunities tonight, still made two really decisive plays that led to goals).

Yeah the fact he's the teams focal point of offence at 17 is pretty crazy and he's put this team on his back as a 17 year old. That shows huge poise that not many kids his age have.

Reactions: CanuckistanFlyerfan

prongertheman9

May 30, 2010
I haven’t thought he has quite looked like himself since around the 2nd period of the Slovakia game tbh. Not sure if it is related to going in head first to the post or just coincidence.

But it’s a good sign if you can have 3 points in 1.5 knockout games, including that insane ot winner, while not having your “A” game.

Reactions: ponder

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
Yeah he has made some great passes. I guess I need to give more credit for his age and I don't remember the other greats in these tournaments so it's not fair.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Until Bedard drops 3.5 PPG over a 25+ game sample, he's not on Crosby's level.
I think Crosby was the better prospect but Bedard is basically ay 3.5 PPG at the WJC right now.

I know it's not 25 games but man you need to relax with Bedard here, the guy is an elite prospect performing at the highest stage at his level and just exceeding expectations right now.

If there was a thread saying that the OP thought that Bedard would be where he is at right now, you would have been the first to take issue with such a thread along with many others.

He has the special "it" desire and drive to be the best that just doesn't come along with his type of skillset very often.

Reactions: hamzarocks

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I think Crosby was the better prospect but Bedard is basically ay 3.5 PPG at the WJC right now.

I know it's not 25 games but man you need to relax with Bedard here, the guy is an elite prospect performing at the highest stage at his level and just exceeding expectations right now.

If there was a thread saying that the OP thought that Bedard would be where he is at right now, you would have been the first to take issue with such a thread along with many others.

He has the special "it" desire and drive to be the best that just doesn't come along with his type of skillset very often.

That "it" desire and drive really reminds me of Kane. Just has such a clutch factor to his game. He shines when it matters the most and really just takes those big game moments and runs with it. Feel like he will have a lot of playoff success when he does get there in the NHL.

Reactions: d rake

pelderhostiga

May 2, 2014
That "it" desire and drive really reminds me of Kane. Just has such a clutch factor to his game. He shines when it matters the most and really just takes those big game moments and runs with it. Feel like he will have a lot of playoff success when he does get there in the NHL.

Or Kucherov, who has also been used as an apt comparable for Bedard. Even if Bedard doesn't ultimately break regular season records and/or catch McDavid in the NHL, the team drafting him might get tons of playoff intangibles. Kane and Kucherov are both smaller players with multiple cups, and they have both had stretches of play at the very toughest level where they've been the absolute best forwards in the game.

Reactions: bert and ponder

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
2015 team was stacked and didn't need McDavid to dominate. Domi-Reinhart-Duclair was the best line in the tourney, and I'd argue Domi/Reinhart were the 2 best Canada forwards.

2023 team is very, very reliant on Bedard. I dk if they finish in the top 4 without him.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I really liked Bedard going into this tournament but now I love him. Agree with @Daximus, he really has that "it factor" that tells you he's going to go on and do great things. He's one of the fiercest competitors I've ever seen, you can just see it in his eyes, the I-will-not-be-denied determination. Only the truly greats possess this quality.

Reactions: Dominance

Warh1ppy

Feb 14, 2018
Does what Whitney and Bisonnette said yesterday put Bettman in a weird place??

essentially saying Bedard will be in Arizona and there's no chance that the Hawks will be allowed to win the draft?

Even said in passing or in part jest that's huge in regards to allegations to be made about a draft lottery that is done in so much secrecy to begin with

• Haha
Reactions: Shark Finn

GrizzGreen

Oct 16, 2017
Laguna
John Tavares' draft year WJC is the best performance I've ever seen (15 in 7), prior to this... Bedard is torching this tournament.

Love

Feb 29, 2012

essentially saying Bedard will be in Arizona and there's no chance that the Hawks will be allowed to win the draft?

Even said in passing or in part jest that's huge in regards to allegations to be made about a draft lottery that is done in so much secrecy to begin with

If the lottery is rigged and Arizona is Bettman’s “baby” then why didn’t McDavid end up in Arizona?

Reactions: simonedvinsson

Warh1ppy

Feb 14, 2018
If the lottery is rigged and Arizona is Bettman’s “baby” then why didn’t McDavid end up in Arizona?
No idea, but then again nobody in the nhl in any format has ever made this kind of statement before

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
This is the exact comparison to Bedard.

He has the skating of Sidney Crosby but with an extra kick along with his physicality and poise being similar to Crosby's. Has the playmaking of Pavel Datsyuk.

But the shot is something I can't find a comparison to. It's fantastic how he sets up the shot and gets the right positioning to put the puck in the net.

Kind of hoping he ends up with the Canucks. If not the Canucks, maybe Columbus or Montreal.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

If the draft lottery was truly rigged Arizona would have had a 1st overall pick at some point in their 27 year existence since moving from Winnipeg. And Edmonton wouldn't have had so many 1st round picks they had to change the odds and structure completely. The only time it remotely made some sense was when Crosby basically came in and saved the Penguins and even then it's a stretch.

The NHL draft lottery is not rigged because things happen that are just to dramatic to ever make it truly rigged. You can't even write the results we get sometimes and many times they are results that the NHL just doesn't want.

He has the skating of Sidney Crosby but with an extra kick along with his physicality and poise being similar to Crosby's. Has the playmaking of Pavel Datsyuk.

But the shot is something I can't find a comparison to. It's fantastic how he sets up the shot and gets the right positioning to put the puck in the net.

Kind of hoping he ends up with the Canucks. If not the Canucks, maybe Columbus or Montreal.

I think Bedard in Anaheim could be really entertaining from a fan of hockey perspective. Zegras and Bedard seem like they could create some magic together.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville

Everyone's entitled to their opinion.

Personally, my jaw has dropped on several occasions and I can't recall too many 17yos being able to make such skilled plays in all my years of watching WJCs.

GoBuds14

Dec 15, 2015

I don’t think his physicality is the level of Crosby’s. Crosby was (and still is) and absolute workhorse along the boards to go along with his elite skill, which is kind of what made him such a unique superstar. McDavid obviously had the skating and ability to make plays at a speed nobody has seen before. As for Bedard, you’re totally right he is definitely the total package (I just disagree a little bit about his physicality being on par with Sid).

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I haven’t thought he has quite looked like himself since around the 2nd period of the Slovakia game tbh. Not sure if it is related to going in head first to the post or just coincidence.

But it’s a good sign if you can have 3 points in 1.5 knockout games, including that insane ot winner, while not having your “A” game.
FWIW I agree - he looked a lot better in that Slovakia game before going headfirst into the post than after (other than the insane OT winner, obviously). And the USA game was his worst of the tourney. He’s still been scoring, still insanely good for a 17 year old, but before the head/post he was playing even better, dominating the play basically every shift, afterwards he’s been less consistent shift-to-shift.

Hopefully it’s just a coincidence (bounces, teams defending him better, etc), and not a concussion.

Last edited:
Reactions: prongertheman9

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad