C Connor Bedard - Regina Pats, WHL (2023 Draft) Part 4

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Yeah this is what I don’t get; Crosby I wasn’t old enough to remember but put McDavid up what half of his points against Denmark and Germany? Like you can only beat who is front of you, and so far against big teams bedard is averaging above 3 points a game, I don’t know what else you can ask for
Not to nitpick but this is false.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Something to keep in mind about Crosby's QHJHL numbers is that they were not unprecedented at the time. Brad Richards had put up a 2.9 ppg season just a few years earlier in 1999-2000, Simon Gamache had a 2.57 ppg season in 2000-2001 and Alexander Radulov had a 2.47 ppg season in 2005-2006. Crosby's 2.7 ppg season in 2004-2005 was far more impressive due to his age, but the numbers he was putting up were not completely out of line for the Q at that point in time.

In McDavid's case we would have had to go back a full decade to Patrick Kane (and Rob Schremp lol) to find comparable ppg totals but there are still comparables.

Conversely we just don't have comparables for WHL players of any age putting up over 2 points per game any time in the last 2 decades.

It may not be quite that clear cut but I'd argue that Bedard is a biggest outlier of the 3 in terms of scoring for the league he plays in, and his numbers certainly are not less impressive that Crosby or McDavid in the context they are occurring.

The W has traditionally been a lower scoring league. In terms of separating themselves from the pack as a 17 year old, Crosby set the bar.

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
I can see bits of Kucherov Kane, Matthews, Marner, and more in his game.

I think his skating actually gets a little underappreciated because he is often compared with McDavid, but on its own hes actually really good at everything to do with skating minus having the final gear the league's elite skaters have. That's totally fine, none of those 4 I mentioned are known for burning dmen wide either. His size won't affect him, the fact he's a centre doesn't matter, even "if" he got moved to the wing (I don't think he will) its not like its some death sentence. The idea a player could be selected over him because they are "more likely to stick at C" is ridiculous. Even if Bedard was a winger now, it would be a landslide....would you take a top 10 C in the NHL or a winger like Kucherov and Kane (in his prime)? Even a player like Kaprizov would be well worth the 1st pick, to pick another smaller player.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
How many players get to play TWO teams like Austria and Germany? One of those games should have been a Russia/US caliber team. All of the sudden he goes from 21p to 15p. Still incredible but its very obvious how weak his competition has been to date.
You’re assuming he gets zero pts against USA or Russia which just simply wouldn’t happen.

No matter how you try and argue and move goal posts, he’s doing things none of us have seen in our lifetime unless you’re 50+

Reactions: Ippenator

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I can see bits of Kucherov Kane, Matthews, Marner, and more in his game.

I think his skating actually gets a little underappreciated because he is often compared with McDavid, but on its own hes actually really good at everything to do with skating minus having the final gear the league's elite skaters have. That's totally fine, none of those 4 I mentioned are known for burning dmen wide either. His size won't affect him, the fact he's a centre doesn't matter, even "if" he got moved to the wing (I don't think he will) its not like its some death sentence. The idea a player could be selected over him because they are "more likely to stick at C" is ridiculous. Even if Bedard was a winger now, it would be a landslide....would you take a top 10 C in the NHL or a winger like Kucherov and Kane (in his prime)? Even a player like Kaprizov would be well worth the 1st pick, to pick another smaller player.

Yeah he's got a really unique skillset. He's got a little bit of everyone in his game. He may not be a burner like McDavid but he's just as fast as Kane or Marner. He's incredibly shifty and has great hands. Has great edgework in tight and can create space where it seems like there isn't any. He has incredible vision and can just see the ice so well. Anticipating where teammates will be and feeding them easy opportunities. As if all that wasn't enough he has an elite shot arsenal. And has just as good a work ethic as anyone in the league.

Not many players have that total package at 17. I think his skating and lower body strength is only going to improve from here on out. Sky is the limit right now. The rest is on him to keep improving.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
The W has traditionally been a lower scoring league. In terms of separating themselves from the pack as a 17 year old, Crosby set the bar.
And he’s doing at it on a garbage team.

These guys who put up huge numbers in junior basically always have 1-2 other guys who kept at least somewhat pace with him on the team and usually play on elite teams

Not at all the case for Bedard

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
One thing he has on Crosby (besides his shot) is just how opportunistic he is with time and space. Sid was obviously dominant all over the place, but in terms of taking advantage of time and space I think Bedard is better, and that includes the PP.

Of course, Crosby could do so much without time and space, which is what makes him so good in the NHL. But if you give Bedard time and space it feels inevitable that something's going to happen. That's kinda why I'm starting to like the Kucherov comp more and more.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
Anyone think he has a very very good chance to be on Team Canada's roster for the next WCOH? There likely won't be an Under 23 team this time so his only shot is the main team and I bet he's good enough to be on the team even if he is on his ELC.
I wouldn't be surprised at all if he's at the World Championships in spring. I dont think the Pats can push deep into the WHL playoffs if they get there. The World Cup of Hockey has been pushed to 2025 so its very well possible Bedard could be on that team.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Amazing game last night and what a goal. Albeit I think he was eerilly ''easy to play against'' (to his standards, anyway) that game all the way up to the end, but the goal was amazing, no way around it. Style-wise reminded me of this one :laugh:

Last edited:
Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
One thing he has on Crosby (besides his shot) is just how opportunistic he is with time and space. Sid was obviously dominant all over the place, but in terms of taking advantage of time and space I think Bedard is better, and that includes the PP.

Of course, Crosby could do so much without time and space, which is what makes him so good in the NHL. But if you give Bedard time and space it feels inevitable that something's going to happen. That's kinda why I'm starting to like the Kucherov comp more and more.

I always liken Crosby to a generational grinder. He just has elite ability to control the play along the wall and in his prime it was nearly impossible to get the puck from him when he was playing below the goal line. He essentially did what you ask of any grinder, he just did it better than any grinder could ever do it. Add onto that he had all the other elite parts of his game. He has a truly one of a kind playstyle.

Bedard is kind of a weird mix of Kane, Marner, Kucherov and Caufield. He can just seemingly out of nowhere take over a game but he's not the kind of player that is going to control the game for large portions of time by just having possession and wearing the opposition down on a cycle. He's just a threat to score from anywhere and with his vision he can create a threat for a teammate to score out of anywhere. He's a triple threat on offence and it makes him extremely dangerous. And if he manages to get in alone he's unlikely to miss. Give him any kind of time and space and you likely pay for it.

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
How many dirty goals does Matthews score? What about McDavid? What OV? You are right, it is an odd complaint.

Can please point to other prospects that had similar offensive production in juniors but because their skills were less projectible, did worse in the NHL than expected. Lafontaine and Kane, both of whom had "Franchise Player" type of seasons at age 17 come to mind as players who you would would have argued as having less projectible skills. Wayne also famously had less projectible skills.
If you don't think Matthews scores dirty goals you need to watch him more

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Even with Gretzky, there were contrarians who said "he's too small, he's not fast enough, he won't be able to do what he does in the NHL." I think Bedard's game will carry over fine. He's no smaller or slower than a guy like Patrick Kane, and with the way they call the game in the new NHL, this kid should have no problem putting up PPG right off the bat.
I don't see any contrarians. I see some people who think he will be a generational player, and others thinking he will only be an elite franchise player.

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
I don't see any contrarians. I see some people who think he will be a generational player, and others thinking he will only be an elite franchise player.
I think what he means is that some people thought all the greats wouldn't be as good as they were. I remember people saying McDavid wouldn't touch Crosby , heck I remember lurking on here back in Crosby's draft year and reading people saying they would pick Nash over him. In a vacuum picking any unproven prospect over a 19 year old rocket winner seems silly, but now it seems ridiculous to think anyone has Nash in the same stratosphere.

I agree he could very well end up "just" a franchise player , or ever worse for all we know - but as a prospect he has as good of a chance to become an era defining superstar as any prospect since McDavid, by far. Before that , Crosby , and those are the only 2 I see who could even compete with this type of ceiling as a prospect in the last 18 years.

That's why some call him a generational talent , it's not that we don't think it's a guarantee, but the type of prospect who only comes around every 7 or 8 years historically

Reactions: daver

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
In addition to being a franchise altering generational talent, I think Bedard is also more marketable than a McDavid or Crosby.

He's the full package.

Reactions: Baaaaaaaaaaaaah

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site

People think he will be a generational player because he is a generational prospect, clearly on or close to McDavid/Crosby level.

A contrarian is one who throws out cherrypicked stats and comparisons to try to bring him down to a franchise player level.

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
In addition to being a franchise altering generational talent, I think Bedard is also more marketable than a McDavid or Crosby.

He's the full package.

I'm not sure - I'm not the age to know anymore, but when Crosby was coming up many of my female friends had a huge crush on him, he was actually a pretty big sex symbol in Canada (lol).

Maybe Bedard is the same, but Crosby was extremely marketable, hes not the outspoken, controversial, get a juicy quote type, but he always said all the right things and was beloved as the "small town Canadian boy"

His marketability also went over really well in America, he was plastered all over RBK adds, Gatorade, etc. I remember going to Tampa bay in 2011 and some family friends knew nothing of St Louis, Lecavalier, etc but they all knew who Crosby was - partly due to the golden goal, but still, he was marketed 10x more than any other player to a success. I would say his "brand' was a lot more prevalent and visible than McDavid's has ever been. It just seems like Crosby was a bigger "Name" than McDavid has been.

Not to say Bedard isn't marketable, but Crosby was also the full package in regards to marketability.

FlappyGiraffe

Go Jets Go
Sponsor
Jul 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I wouldn't be surprised at all if he's at the World Championships in spring. I dont think the Pats can push deep into the WHL playoffs if they get there. The World Cup of Hockey has been pushed to 2025 so its very well possible Bedard could be on that team.
Would be pretty cool to have all three of Crosby, McDavid, and Bedard lacing them up for Canada at the same time

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
Would be pretty cool to have all three of Crosby, McDavid, and Bedard lacing them up for Canada at the same time
We never got Gretzky-Lemieux-Lindros together, did we? We got Gretzky-Lemieux (CC), Gretzky-Lindros (CC and Olympics), and Lindros-Lemieux (Olympics) but I don't think all 3 played together at the same tournament.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad