C Casey Mittelstadt - Eden Prairie HS, USHS (2017, 8th, BUF)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005
Fair enough about kids needing to grow up. However I would point out that there is an enormous difference between Nylander playing in the SHL and Mittelstadt playing USHS. My issue is really not that Mittelstadt decided to play high school hockey with his friends. His decision to play high school is just one piece in what I see as pattern of immaturity with him that I find worrisome.

The kid undeniably has skill and potential to be a very good NHL player...just not sure I would risk a high (top 10) pick on him. :dunno:
Deciding to play high school hockey with his buddies and trying to win a championship is immature?

Just wow.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Deciding to play high school hockey with his buddies and trying to win a championship is immature?

Just wow.

I think it shows definite maturity myself. He knows life's priorities better than most, and knows that he only gets the high school experience with his friends once and wanted to make the most of it.

4-5 spots in the draft at worst is nothing in the grand scheme of life. The memories he just made with his friends that he grew up with will last a lifetime.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
CM is the sort of player that needs to handle the puck on offense, whether it be distributing it or shooting it. Don't know that BUF is the right place for him with the talent they already have up front. Using him as just a shooter on the wing would be a waste of his abilities.

Smeagoal

Jun 12, 2015
In my dreams
Good pick by BUF, CM was the C I was hoping VAN would target at #5.

Can't complain though, best of luck to CM in BUF, kid has got skill.

Heretic

May 25, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
Just got done reading all of the scouting reports I could find on this kid. Watched a ton of videos to.

The Sabres may have gotten the steal of this draft. If this kid uses his college workout regiment properly, with the absurd skills he already has, he's going to be a fast beast.

They are already calling him Mr. hockey.

Hey now, let's not get ahead of ourselves here!

Spectra

Registered boozer
Aug 3, 2005
A lot of centers in BUF now, do you think the plan is for him to play LW with Eichel down the road?

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
Nice pick up Buffalo, with Middlestadt. The Sabres have some very nice C depth.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
CM is the sort of player that needs to handle the puck on offense, whether it be distributing it or shooting it. Don't know that BUF is the right place for him with the talent they already have up front. Using him as just a shooter on the wing would be a waste of his abilities.

Sounds like a good player to go with Reinhart, actually.

Nylander-Eichel-ROR
Mittelstadt-Reinhart-Baptiste

Could be a great top six in a few years.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
I like the Phil Kessel comp they made at the draft, all speed and shot, could be a dangerous offensive player.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I like the Phil Kessel comp they made at the draft, all speed and shot, could be a dangerous offensive player.

I thought the Kessel comparison was about his questionable conditioning(sort of a backhand compliment that being in the greatest condition is not the most important thing in the world)

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

I don't see a style comparison at all... totally different types of players.

Mittelstadt plays with vision and smarts, he usually sees the ice better than anyone else on the ice when he plays.

He plays a very heady skilled game. Knows where players are going to be before they do etc.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015

Mittelstadt plays with vision and smarts, he usually sees the ice better than anyone else on the ice when he plays.

He plays a very heady skilled game. Knows where players are going to be before they do etc.

your underrating kessel and his playmaking ability, he sees the ice well, and makes plays at a high level, hes not always run and gun.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Your middle paragraph sounds like Kessel...:

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Fair enough about kids needing to grow up. However I would point out that there is an enormous difference between Nylander playing in the SHL and Mittelstadt playing USHS. My issue is really not that Mittelstadt decided to play high school hockey with his friends. His decision to play high school is just one piece in what I see as pattern of immaturity with him that I find worrisome.

The kid undeniably has skill and potential to be a very good NHL player...just not sure I would risk a high (top 10) pick on him. :dunno:

Immature is getting into trouble off the ice, puck hogging, acting entitled, warring with coaches and teammates, being rude or cocky in front of others.

Patrik Laine flipped his coach the bird.

There is nothing "immature" about spending half a season in HS for the sole reason of winning a title. He didnt blow off the USHL. He honored his commitment to the Gamblers and single-handely carried them to within a point of the playoffs. All he does is acknowledge his teammates, even if he's clearly the guy carrying his team.

Every coach he's had speaks glowingly of his leadership, selflessness and his tireless work towards being a better hockey player.

Calling Mittelstadt "immature" is a knee jerk reaction to the pull-up nonsense. Nobody ever questioned it before. Just straw clutching in the boring pre-draft month when there isnt hockey to be played.

Mittelstadt is a gamer. Plays hurt, tired. You get the same effort every shift. Doesnt sound like an "immature" kid to me.

nickdawg95

scoutdawg
Jan 7, 2016
Immature is getting into trouble off the ice, puck hogging, acting entitled, warring with coaches and teammates, being rude or cocky in front of others.

There is nothing "immature" about spending half a season in HS for the sole reason of winning a title. He didnt blow off the USHL. He honored his commitment to the Gamblers and single-handely carried them to within a point of the playoffs. All he does is acknowledge his teammates, even if he's clearly the guy carrying his team.

Every coach he's had speaks glowingly of his leadership, selflessness and his tireless work towards being a better hockey player.

Calling Mittelstadt "immature" is a knee jerk reaction to the pull-up nonsense. Nobody ever questioned it before. Just straw clutching in the boring pre-draft month when there isnt hockey to be played.

Mittelstadt is a gamer. Plays hurt, tired. You get the same effort every shift. Doesnt sound like an "immature" kid to me.

is that steve K ? or steve wilkos ? steeeveee

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
He is bigger than 6' as he was listed in the draft when picked.

I saw him at the State Tournament live and he's a big kid.

As far as staying here to play high school hockey, the biggest drawback would be lack of games, not necessarily the competition.

The team they lost to in the semis (Grand Rapids) had at least three division I players on that team.

I really hope he does good. It's hard to say. His weight lifting (or lack thereof) is odd and Housley more than any other coach in the league can relate to Minnesota hockey and the state tourney (although it's different today than when Housley in the late 70s lol).

It made me proud of him to say to hell with everyone (even his folks) to come back to play for a state championship again. I (like most hockey players in this state) would have given a testicle just to have qualified for state when I was in school 15 years ago. :(

Thorton02

Feb 6, 2009

Good post. I have no idea how he's going to pan out but I'm sure how he did with the bench press and pullups in the combine will have no impact on his NHL career.

The more I read about the kid, the more I like him. Our former GM always said that he wanted to draft hockey players, not atheletic people that play hockey. Casey appears to be a pure hockey player.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

Good info! I really liked this pick. For me he is low risk, high reward. Too much skill and ability to not be a good top 6 fwd. Sabres just have to wait until he is ready which in my opinion will be sooner than later. Botterill is off to a good start as GM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad