C Casey Mittelstadt - Eden Prairie HS, USHS (2017, 8th, BUF)

Status
Not open for further replies.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Except he excels when stepping up in competition, look at his Hlinka and U18 stats.

I have, and tbh I was more impressed by Logan Brown's performance at the U18s. Mittelstadt has great hands in tight and can make some nifty plays, but I really don't see his dangles translating when the going gets rough and big bad pro defenders knock him on his ass.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
I have, and tbh I was more impressed by Logan Brown's performance at the U18s. Mittelstadt has great hands in tight and can make some nifty plays, but I really don't see his dangles translating when the going gets rough and big bad pro defenders knock him on his ass.

I remember reading a lot of that about Nylander back in his draft year. Also suggestions he was "spoiled" and "entitled" because he jumped teams to play with his dad.

Kids needing to grow up is hardly new or earth shattering.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
I remember reading a lot of that about Nylander back in his draft year. Also suggestions he was "spoiled" and "entitled" because he jumped teams to play with his dad.

Kids needing to grow up is hardly new or earth shattering.

Fair enough about kids needing to grow up. However I would point out that there is an enormous difference between Nylander playing in the SHL and Mittelstadt playing USHS. My issue is really not that Mittelstadt decided to play high school hockey with his friends. His decision to play high school is just one piece in what I see as pattern of immaturity with him that I find worrisome.

The kid undeniably has skill and potential to be a very good NHL player...just not sure I would risk a high (top 10) pick on him. :dunno:

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Live in the next town over from CM. Son practiced with him a bit, and we know people who know him. He is a good kid, not an entitled , lazy brat as some here are making him out to be.

He's big enough, strong on his skates, has great skill, and can skate well. Whether or not he has the motor to succeed...who knows, really? About any of them ? I find it amusing that people who have never seen him play beyond a few clips have such strong opinions. I've seen him play multiple times over the years, and I still don't know. Hell, I thought Steven Fogarty was going to be good.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Are there any rules regarding contact between teams and prospects?

Wondering if it would benefit Mittelstadt to spend a day figuring out how to do a pull-up, and send a video of himself doing a couple of them to the teams at the top of the draft.

I know some NFL prospects who have a bad combine or pro day will out out a video of their individual workout to show that it was a fluke.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada

Wondering if it would benefit Mittelstadt to spend a day figuring out how to do a pull-up, and send a video of himself doing a couple of them to the teams at the top of the draft.

I know some NFL prospects who have a bad combine or pro day will out out a video of their individual workout to show that it was a fluke.

No nhl team worth a damn is going to care.

Zarzh

Jun 30, 2015
The large D1 universities have better facilities than the vast majority of CHL teams. As for access to trainers....where do you think they get their degrees?

The endowments at the Ivy leagues are in the billions of dollars. Harvard is what- 48B? A hair more than a Junior team, don't you think?

You're "assuming" that Minnesota is a D1 school? Do you mean you don't know? If you don't know, how can we take any of your posts seriously?

They don't have better facilities or development teams then good CHL teams. Having been to a couple of gyms they're mediocre. Offer less, and more crowded then the majority of top-tier private gyms. There are often practice courts, which is the main difference.

As for trainers. Most are pretty mediocre, adequate for beginner/intermediate level fitness but not anything beyond it. The top-tier trainers are the only ones who offer value for professional athletes, and very rarely would a school have them on retainer, let alone exclusively available.

Somehow they still have medicore results.

Stop being pedantic.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
They don't have better facilities or development teams then good CHL teams. Having been to a couple of gyms they're mediocre. Offer less, and more crowded then the majority of top-tier private gyms. There are often practice courts, which is the main difference.

As for trainers. Most are pretty mediocre, adequate for beginner/intermediate level fitness but not anything beyond it. The top-tier trainers are the only ones who offer value for professional athletes, and very rarely would a school have them on retainer, let alone exclusively available.

Stop being pedantic.

Again, you clearly don't know much about the sports program at the University of Minnesota (where Mittelstadt has committed) it's definitely a tier above the CHL in terms of resources and facilities.

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
Fair enough about kids needing to grow up. However I would point out that there is an enormous difference between Nylander playing in the SHL and Mittelstadt playing USHS. My issue is really not that Mittelstadt decided to play high school hockey with his friends. His decision to play high school is just one piece in what I see as pattern of immaturity with him that I find worrisome.

The kid undeniably has skill and potential to be a very good NHL player...just not sure I would risk a high (top 10) pick on him. :dunno:

But hockey is supposed to be fun in high school. If you know what the MNHS Hockey Tourney is like, I'm sure you'd want to play in it too. Just like McDonagh, Leddy, and sort of Bjugstad/Wheeler. He got a taste of the USHL (which he led scoring in his brief time) and will play as a true freshman which is totally fine. If you have a good coach and friends, why leave?

Last edited:

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC

Figuring out how to do a pull-up? It's not something you really need to learn how to do. Honestly, most of these prospects that couldn't do a pull-up is due to a full day of doing rigorous tests at the combine, and scouts and teams will realize that. It shows they aren't physically ready for the NHL and they're behind in physical development compared to their peers as well.

If teams were really concerned, they'd simply straight up ask him how much time he spends at the gym. Being able to do a pull-up isn't going to make you drop 10 spots. It might make you drop a bit if a team is looking for a prospect that is closer to being NHL ready, but not a huge margin.

jarboy

Dec 27, 2007

Stop being pedantic.

https://youtu.be/9BF8Cc0mniQ

https://youtu.be/V207rXFGQss

Show me the CHL teams with better than these.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN

Stop being pedantic.

Again, you don't have a clue. Universities are where the top trainers get their education. Surely you don't think the U of M hockey teams train together inn the same weight room as the other regular students, do you? They have their own, state of the art facility for the Hockey players alone, with the some of the same skating instructors that the Wild use (Ness, etc..).

Our local high School team has it's own private training room attached to the rink. The coaches in MNHS are often ex NHL'ers , and their assistants, also, Housley, Walz, Giles, Langevin, Roberts...I could go on and on.

North Dakota has a fabulous facility, as do most of the Big 10 schools. They have FAR more money and resources to play with than CHL teams.

The way you keep doubling down on your ignorance is amazing. Do you really think the Sudbury Wolves have better facilities than Notre Dame?

jarboy

Dec 27, 2007

Stop being pedantic.

If he gets a sore knee, maybe he can find a Doctor here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Minnesota_Medical_Center

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Congrats Buffalo, that's a helluva talent to get at 8 in this draft. I would've been happy to take him at 5 as he has skills that are harder to improve than upper body strength.

Good luck with him!

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
How many Centers does BUF need? ROR, Eichel, Reinhart, CM. I get the whole BPA thing, but isn't this overkill?

Zarzh

Jun 30, 2015
https://youtu.be/9BF8Cc0mniQ

https://youtu.be/V207rXFGQss

Show me the CHL teams with better than these.

That looks like an average gym, with a practice area.

Minus the practice area, it looks like a downgrade over most gyms, and their use of space offends me, it looks packed in the sense that if a team came in at once it would be uncomfortable. The sauna/showers look nice, and there's more turf which is nice.

It might just be the video, but the lat machines especially look really cheap and ****** quality, and there looks to be many machines missing. I don't see any leg press, tricep, or chest stations for example.

I mean if that's the separate "State of the Art" facility I'm being told about, it looks like a colossal waste of money.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Just got done reading all of the scouting reports I could find on this kid. Watched a ton of videos to.

The Sabres may have gotten the steal of this draft. If this kid uses his college workout regiment properly, with the absurd skills he already has, he's going to be a fast beast.

They are already calling him Mr. hockey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad