C Casey Mittelstadt (2017, 8th, BUF) II

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
what is this overwhelmed you speak of?

you do realize only Eichel, Sheary and Pominville have goals as forwards on this team right? this is not that good or deep of a team, I mean Jeff Skinner doesn't even have a point yet, he should ****ing retire right now!

stop embarrassing yourself, Casey is going to have a strong rookie season, who knows how it all unfolds but after 4 games this season there is zero cause for concern.
He's clearly asspained that Casey was ahead of Pettersson on a few lists. It's like Petterson doing incredibly well through the first handful of games wasn't enough, he (and a few others) feel the need to be petty in Casey's thread on top of it.

Last edited:
Reactions: AmericanDream

mouz135

Apr 27, 2013
He's clearly asspained that Casey was ahead of Pettersson on a few lists. It's like Petterson doing incredibly well through the first handful of games wasn't enough, he (and a few others) feel the need to be a petty in Casey's thread on top of it.
I have no doubt Mitts will be a decent player, but he was hyped up to no end in here a few months. It’s clear he hasn’t lived up to that lofty hype, or he would be dominating the league with the other rookies. And don’t bring Pettersson into this, I never once mentioned him.

Reactions: NLRAIDERS

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
I have no doubt Mitts will be a decent player, but he was hyped up to no end in here a few months. It’s clear he hasn’t lived up to that lofty hype, or he would be dominating the league with the other rookies. And don’t bring Pettersson into this, I never once mentioned him.
You didn't need to mention him for me to know why you're actually here. The same reason I don't need to know why Toronto fans would be poo-pooing on Eichel or why Finnish people would be nitpicking on Dahlin. Vancouver fans have been dipping in to give their two cents for well over a year now.

It's been four games, btw. ;]

North Country

Oct 24, 2012
How would Mitts be doing with those teams that the rookies are having more success? Buffalo is still finding their way and a lot depends on who you're surrounded by. Only 4 games in so hold your excitement.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
How would Mitts be doing with those teams that the rookies are having more success? Buffalo is still finding their way and a lot depends on who you're surrounded by.

This is true. Extremely valid. Housley has done NOTHING to put his young players like Mittelstadt and Dahlin in the position to produce and build confidence.

mattydamon

May 2, 2011
Victoria, BC
This is true. Extremely valid. Housley has done NOTHING to put his young players like Mittelstadt and Dahlin in the position to produce and build confidence.

Sorry to hear this actually - I really want to like Buffalo and want them to succeed but there always seems to be something getting in the way. The game I caught wasn't all that exciting and I was maybe hoping for more given their young players but for sure the coaching has a lot to do with that.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Sorry to hear this actually - I really want to like Buffalo and want them to succeed but there always seems to be something getting in the way.

I think the Sabres have a big-time identity crisis. I too, are very fond of the Sabres. Once they drafted Dahlin, they (along with the Leafs) became the two teams I decided to watch night in and night out. I expected a young, fun, vibrant, exciting team - not the nonsense I've seen in the first 4 games.

Back to identity crisis. The Sabres are acting like they are one of those middle-of-the-road teams who are ready to bump themselves into the upper echelon of the NHL. They are delusional.

The GM trades O'Reilly - fine. But, instead of trading him for high picks, or a complete stud prospect with superstar potential, he trades him for depth pieces and unspectacular players that do nothing but block jobs that could be held by kids. Thompson was a nice add, but he's been the cherry on top of a rotten dessert called the O'Reilly trade. Teams like Pittsburgh and Washington make trades to address niche depth issues, not young, raw, teams searching for an identity like Buffalo. I never understood the trade.

Then, the coach decides to take this young team (with an enormous amount of fan excitement and anticipation) and coach them like one of the most boring, veteran teams in the NHL. It's puzzling. It's like Housley is disillusioned to the point where he feels like playing the vets and running a "safe" operation is going to lead the Sabres to success. Not. This isn't the early-2000's and Housley isn't coaching a veteran Red Wings squad.

The Sabres should have one focus: ONE. And that is...

Set honest expectations and give the young kids the keys and let them run wild. Baptism by fire. Let them make mistakes, achieve some great things, and help guide them - not insulate them. Let the fans love them and winning will come secondarily. If it takes a couple more years, so what, Buffalo might end up with a Hughes or Lafreniere.

The worst thing the Sabres could do is continually ice a bland, boring, unspectacular product that seems "safe." Let the kids have fun and the fans will enjoy the show, win or lose. Realistic fans are not expecting a Cup right away. I'd be more inclined to pay ticket prices to watch the Sabres lose an exciting 7-5 game and be entertained as opposed to losing a 3-1 game where Housley gives the team "bonus points" for closing their gaps and "doing all the little things right."

Reactions: Colin Hui

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Casey has really stepped up his game lately with 5 points in his last 7 games.
Points aside you can really see a major improvement after a concerning slow start to the season.

He won't enter into the Calder conversation as EP has been the best rookie since McDavid
but CM37 is settling in nicely as a 2/3 Center behind Eichel.

Might be a battle between Casey and Dahlin for 2nd.

Reactions: AmericanDream

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
He looks a lot better to me. Further proof that not every prospect (even highly touted ones) progress at the same rate and some need more patience than others. I think he can still develop into a 50-60 point fixture in the top 6 while playing special teams.
Its gonna be awfully hard to get that production unless he stays at wing with Eichel and Cozens anchoring the 2 spots at center I would prefer him as the #3 center by next year.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
He looks a lot better to me. Further proof that not every prospect (even highly touted ones) progress at the same rate and some need more patience than others. I think he can still develop into a 50-60 point fixture in the top 6 while playing special teams.

Buffalo handled him about as poorly as possible, that didn't help. Happy to see he looks like he is recovering a bit, unlikely he ever lives up to the top 10 pick, but can still be a decent player.

CowbellConray

Sep 8, 2010
Buffalo handled him about as poorly as possible, that didn't help. Happy to see he looks like he is recovering a bit, unlikely he ever lives up to the top 10 pick, but can still be a decent player.
If he puts up 45+ points a year and plays 700+ games in the NHL he is about a top 10 pick value. I hope he can achieve that, he has looked VERY strong lately

Reactions: jc17

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
If he puts up 45+ points a year and plays 700+ games in the NHL he is about a top 10 pick value. I hope he can achieve that, he has looked VERY strong lately

I understand that this is probably a factual statement when comparing the results of all players taken in the 5-10 range (such as he was), but I think that when a team takes a guy in the top 10 they are probably hoping for more than a 45 point player.

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
I don’t think Buffalo handled him that poorly. I just think he wasn’t as good as they thought right away. I will say I think they signed him too quickly. He was good in college but he still needed more polishing imo.

He has so much room to grow there is a lot of talent there.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
I don’t think Buffalo handled him that poorly. I just think he wasn’t as good as they thought right away. I will say I think they signed him too quickly. He was good in college but he still needed more polishing imo.

He has so much room to grow there is a lot of talent there.

They did
No one in the NCAA realm thought he was ready. and he had talent on that Minny squad.

CowbellConray

Sep 8, 2010
I understand that this is probably a factual statement when comparing the results of all players taken in the 5-10 range (such as he was), but I think that when a team takes a guy in the top 10 they are probably hoping for more than a 45 point player.
I think that’s fair. If I’m picking in that 7-10 spot I’m hoping for a clear top 6, close to top line player I think Casey can be that top 6 player for a number of years

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad