C Casey Mittelstadt (2017, 8th, BUF) II

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Another point for Casey who finishes with 5 points in 6 games to end the season.

But something something high school something something pull-ups something something bench press.

Good first look for Mittelstadt. He will head to worlds now and get some more good experience before having his first pro offseason of training.

Nothing but a bright future and there’s a reason he was the top prospect not yet in the league on so many lists despite his production at Minnesota.

If you watched the Gopher games you knew why that was. He was the best player on the ice most nights and he was stranded on the third line with guys who couldn’t finish to save their lives.

The coach will have a lot of time to think about those choices in his new role of not being the coach of the Gophers.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
Always was high on this kid. Still think he becomes a consistent 60 + point player a season. People can tell me I'm wrong all they want, but I still think I'm right.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
There's just so much potential here. I love his game.

Originally I had him pegged to start in the AHL next year, but I don't think that's gonna be the case any more. We'll have to see.
Given the lack of talent that the Sabres have overall, it doesn't make a lot of sense to play him in the AHL.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Mitts also finished with a plus one.
Only 6 games but honestly I can’t remember a Sabre player with + beside his name. Lol
Heh, I checked, in the last 3 seasons combined there hasn’t been a single Sabre who played 30+ games and finished a season with a positive +/-. Although a few (including Mittelstadt) have done it in small sample sizes.

Reactions: Mitts888

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Heh, I checked, in the last 3 seasons combined there hasn’t been a single Sabre who played 30+ games and finished a season with a positive +/-. Although a few (including Mittelstadt) have done it in small sample sizes.
+/- is garbage. Ryan O'Reilly's all-situation goal differential was +14 in 2016-17 yet he was -1 lol.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
clearly hampered by lack of strength and poor NCAA stats.

Wild proudly offer Charlie Coyle and our #1oa pick to take him off your hands.:naughty:

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Going to be interesting to see how Mittelstadt plays for USA at the Worlds.
Please put him on line with P. Kane.

Paul Hamilton @pham1717

Eichel said he's not playing for Team USA at the Worlds. Reinhart said he was asked by Canada, but can't because of his contract, Ristolainen was asked by Finland, but said no. O'Reilly is playing for Canada and Mittelstadt is playing for the USA.
10:26 AM - Apr 9, 2018

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Going to be interesting to see how Mittelstadt plays for USA at the Worlds.
Please put him on line with P. Kane.

Paul Hamilton @pham1717

Eichel said he's not playing for Team USA at the Worlds. Reinhart said he was asked by Canada, but can't because of his contract, Ristolainen was asked by Finland, but said no. O'Reilly is playing for Canada and Mittelstadt is playing for the USA.
10:26 AM - Apr 9, 2018
Ugh no Eichel hurts. Was hoping to see him and Kreider together. Cool that Casey will be there though - should be a pretty good team for USA.

Reactions: Mitts888

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I have heard that come up a lot and it seems pretty accurate by the way both of them play and their builds.
CM is nothing like Heatley, unless I've misunderstood what is being said. Again, P. Kane is a comp stylistically. A bit bigger and slightly slower, but a lot of things in common otherwise.

Reactions: Chainshot

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
Heatley was a 6'4 220lbs finisher who displayed questionable effort in 2/3 of the rink. I would agree that Casey's best comp would be Kane, but with less speed/skill and more hustle. Maybe a prime Tim Connolly without the reckless self endangerment.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
CM is nothing like Heatley, unless I've misunderstood what is being said. Again, P. Kane is a comp stylistically. A bit bigger and slightly slower, but a lot of things in common otherwise.
They have the same type of build(stocky and tallish) and look very similar in the way they skate. They both have a very similar shot release too and are offensive dynamos. Patrick kane really isn't all that great of a comparison because while their hands/passing are alike, their games are a little different. Kane gets squeezed out a lot while Cm can use his body to get to the net sometimes. Pretty much Cm has a low center of gravity, while kane doesn't. Kane also has a much different type of shot. Maybe I'd call CM a combination of Kane/Heatley. A slow version of that combination though.

schnapshot

Mendoza baby
Jan 8, 2015
Montreal
They have the same type of build(stocky and tallish) and look very similar in the way they skate. They both have a very similar shot release too and are offensive dynamos. Patrick kane really isn't all that great of a comparison because while their hands/passing are alike, their games are a little different. Kane gets squeezed out a lot while Cm can use his body to get to the net sometimes. Pretty much Cm has a low center of gravity, while kane doesn't. Kane also has a much different type of shot. Maybe I'd call CM a combination of Kane/Heatley. A slow version of that combination though.
What? Mittelstadt has much better hands, speed and vision than Heatley. He also doesn't possess his shot.

I don't get that comparison at all.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY

Casey’s best attribute is his speed and shiftiness. He plays like Marner, nothing like Heatley.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Anyone see Danny Heatley?

Not at all. Heatley was a plodding sharpshooter. Mittelstadt is a silky smooth puck wizard who can make dynamic plays and score as well. He is a perfect blend of Nicklas Backstrom and Patrick Kane. His build, size, weight, shooting hand and vision is basically a clone of Backstrom. Also, the way he uses his body to protect the puck. If you sprinkle in some of Patrick Kane's hands, creativity and stick handling, on top, you have Mittelstadt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad